H55 install in @TRFCSUX 62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The shaft length was cut to match the four speed, should be ok. I have seen a measurement of 40mm posted on mud since then. But was not clear on point to point measure. I dont think the length is the problem. Nice pics from Chris comparing first time to second time. We had it right and it moved. Then we had it right and it must have moved again. That collar has been in service for awhile, it was in the four speed and it was in what ever set up Cam had before me. Maybe just a new one, or a bigger one, or do what Gary says. Maybe just weld it like Stump suggested. Can't wait to see pics from Ryan to see where it is this time. Wonder how many miles it will take to have some confidence in it ? More than 300 like the first install. 500 maybe before the trip ??? Might have a tough decision to make fellas. Slick Rock Campground is 2044 miles from my driveway.

Have some faith Steve, what could possibly go wrong?

Pack a tow bar!?!?

I have a tow bar if you want to take one.

Could you just put a c clip on that area where it looks like there is a place for one to keep the spacer in place?
upload_2016-4-18_9-58-0.png

I got the t-case pulled before coming home for lunch. The collar doesn't seem to have moved. There's no play in the gear or spacer. I'll probably still tack it though just to be on the safe side. I measured how far back the shift rail comes when in 5th and compared that to the depth of the pocket in the toybox adapter. The rail comes about an 1/8" further back than the pocket is deep. I don't know why that wouldn't present until 200 miles in though. I'll dig a bit further in this afternoon.

20160418_105113.jpg

20160418_105713.jpg

I pulled the 5th gear detent plug out. With the adapter bolted up 5th gear was only half way engaging. Clearanced the adapter plate and now 5th gear goes all the way to the detent. I'll tack the collar and reassemble it in the morning. I put gear marking compound on the adapter to see where it was hitting.

20160418_161907.jpg

To my knowledge, Calicruiser (now gone from ih8mud) never had this problem with this exact same set-up. His sailed through the Rubicon, Dusy Ershim and Death Valley. I do remember he had a ton of trouble grinding down the output shaft splines on the transmission.

I honestly don't think Marlin ever made enough of these to run into all the problems. Those adapter plates were made one at a time by someone else.

But outstanding job on the trouble shooting and the fix.

Good job Ryan!
That's why you get paid the big bucks!!

And a collective sigh of relief was breathed...

Yes, great news. Thank you Ryan for helping all of us learn something.

Remember Steve, it's only money. Memories are forever.
Here's to the adventure of a life-time.

The 62 is home and seemed to be perfect on the ride. Going to see how many miles I can put on it in the next week. Can all ready feel a difference. The throw from fourth to fifth feels different. Longer throw , more positive feel. Ryan done good.

Yep it was the 5th gear shift rail. I pulled the detent plug out so I could watch the detents on the rail while it was shifted. With the adapter plate on the divider between the neutral detent and 5th was in the middle of the hole. It needed .105" more throw. I marked where the rail hit the adapter and just hole sawed through the back of the pocket to give it clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom