Builds GXOG: My 2003 GX470 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes I am. Spidertrax

Updated original post

Little tech refresh:

Ohana Bar drilled into dash. HAM mount, Mob Armor mag mount mic (sugru's magnet to the mic), and a magsafe phone Qi charger.

I got rid of the ipad and stuff as tech as come a long way and the latest iphones can handle everything the ipad could, and the reception is just fine.

Going to go to starlink soon on the camping trailer so internet will no longer be an issue anywhere.

277688377_368451081835047_2557474767289424937_n.jpg

Did a quick search on antenna but didn't find much within the thread, could you give a quick update on your overall radio setup and where you mounted antennas? Any tips on stuff you've learned on install for power/speaker/faceplate extensions along the way?

Did a quick search on antenna but didn't find much within the thread, could you give a quick update on your overall radio setup and where you mounted antennas? Any tips on stuff you've learned on install for power/speaker/faceplate extensions along the way?
The COMPACtenna - https://compactenna.com/ is on the Iron Man bumper. I have it routed through the DS firewall and into the PS glove box. Using a Kenwood D-710E that has the base in the cubby in the glove (velcro) and power run to the block in the engine bay through the PS firewall. The mic is in a flush mount plug on the PS center console (Amazon product ASIN B071Z766V5). The remote head is routed up to the ORS mount and the Kenwood supplied mount is on the back of the remote head with a screw and some sugru to attach and stabilize it. I just reworked the mount to fit my needs. I also have a bluetooth TNC module in the base unit that allows me to use my phone and my ipad to link APRS through the apps that allow TNC integration.

Big booty needed a lift. Some 749v Dobinsons did the trick. Also had the latch hook rewelded as the 37s are heavy and stress cracks were forming.

20220608_123251478_iOS.jpg

Lookin good. When is the ute conversion happening?
Considering I can get a turbo diesel 79 series imported within the next 7 years? I am likely waiting for that :)

A few weeks and some miles later...still smooth and nice. It drives WAY better on road and I have the VSC off switch I installed for "spirited driving" mode when I don't want to get chucked into the ditch. Going to drive it very long distance in the coming weeks along with my (Hummus Panda) and her (Maggie) GX. We did a build on her GX to match my capability so we can wheel together.

20220625_143329873_iOS.jpg

A few weeks and some miles later...still smooth and nice. It drives WAY better on road and I have the VSC off switch I installed for "spirited driving" mode when I don't want to get chucked into the ditch. Going to drive it very long distance in the coming weeks along with my (Hummus Panda) and her (Maggie) GX. We did a build on her GX to match my capability so we can wheel together.

View attachment 3045675
What is a hummus panda?? Looks like her GX has substantially more lift than yours, she also on 37's?

What is a hummus panda?? Looks like her GX has substantially more lift than yours, she also on 37's?
It is all exactly the same truck to truck but mine is heavier. She and I both have 37s. . Mine is just sand dollar pearl and black two tone all over so hummus (color) and panda (pattern of two tone).

the pink touches are cute on the taller gx470…

Both of you on RCLTs?…never mind…I can see it on the photo and your description that it’s all exactly the same.

Last edited:

View attachment 3045675
So after, what are you at now 15 years? building, refining rebuilding and redesigning, what is her off the line build spec sheet?

That's a rad pic!

Sweet pair of wheelers, sir!

The build is updated in the first post

The build is updated in the first post
Rad! Of course you're forum efficient like that, LOL. 🤘 👍
(admittedly I haven't revisited post 1 enough ;)

Was the VSC off switch just cutting out the white w/ black line wire from the Master cylinder (or is it brake booster)?

Was the VSC off switch just cutting out the white w/ black line wire from the Master cylinder (or is it brake booster)?
No, it was a ground to the 4WD ECU to make it think I actually locked the CDL when I didn't

A walk-around video showing off the key upgrades would be nice 😊

In particular, all the changes that went with the RCLT to make your GXes two of the most capable offroad rigs in the universe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom