GOT Packable Rain Jacket? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've used a Marmot Mica for several years now while doing summer alpine mountain biking. It's ultra light. To get one under $100 you need to shop last year's color and be ok with the least desirable of the bunch.

I have a HH (helly hanson) voss jacket and pants. These are polyurethane shell (not breathable) and polyester liner. They will keep you warm and dry. They are no frills and right in your price range. Bought mine at Amazon. The pants do not have zippers or snaps at the bottom so you cannot pull off or on over hiking shoes so you have to put them on before you put your shoes on. If you're hiking or doing something active you will sweat in polyurethane. But if you are relatively still ie paddling in a canoe or just hanging around in camp this is what you want.

I also have an Eddie Bower nylon lightweight pricey jacket...tapes seams etc. Fits nice, feels nice, somewhat breathable ...but when a steady cold rain comes you will be dry but feel wet and cold unless you have a sweat shirt underneath or are hiking hard with your heart rate up. I tested this by having my wife spray the hose on me and swear I thought i was getting wet (and cold).

Here in the pacific NW we deal with rain a lot. The Patagonia torrent shell is one of the best budget rain jackets (<$200) I have found to keep you dry. My wife and I each have had one for about 10 years, it is her primary breathable rain jacket but for me it dosn’t breath well enough for meduring an activity where I sweat and I tend to get wet from the inside.

Another option is about 3 years ago I got a Paradox rain jacket from Costco it keeps me dry but the downside is just slightly more breathable than rubber. However I find myself wearing it often when set netting or cleaning fish, something where I am just standing there and don’t want to get one of my good jackets messy. Also the marmot Preclip was mentioned, I have been using that jacket for my kids the last few years, similar to the torrent shell, lighter but less breathable and less durable.

As for the better stuff. Gore-Tex or dermizax all the way

Nobody like the old school military issue poncho? I carry one in my get home bag, works for ground tarp, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom