GOT Packable Rain Jacket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whatever membrane you go with, i.e. Gore-Tex, go with a three ply. They have much greater longevity. Look for taped seams also. Make sure there is a zipper channel or flap. This includes pockets and pit zips.

Solid tips
thanks!

I guess it all depends on what you want. Minimalist or Durable :)

Btw that's not the exact place I bought mine from, but id be surprised if they are much different.

Do those in the link look to be the same cut as what you got? Are you thinking its the same item? I'm intrigued, but they're listing those as women's, so I'm guessing an XL may be pretty small (especially if it's an Asian xl). Of course it's so cheap I could just order a couple to see.

They are unisex. And look to be the same pics from the company I bought from. Btw, I'm an xl and I ordered the xxxl. They are Asian sized..

Wrinkly when you take them out but when I'm dry I don't care...

This one is like 4 or 5 years old. Has not been used much (cause Vegas). I bought them for the family (orange, black, purple and the gray one for me).

15018036096691392277356.jpg
1501803660469649045924.jpg

Not sure if you have REI sports out there but they make thier own line and I used my 89.00 packable(pocket size) whilst hiking from GA to Va on the appalachian trail, mint

For cheap and good I second Froggs Toggs. I have a $20 pair of pants that feel like woven paper but stop water cold. I mean getting hit by ocean waves! I used them over boots before I got waders. The water never penetrated anywhere in a several months of use. Then the boots began shredding the inside lining below the knee, but they're still perfectly usable.

Later on I needed rain gear for wet weather fishing and things like wading out to the sandbar in cold rainy weather ,and I found Cabellas running a sale on Stormr Typhoon jackets for $140, down from $240, and if you really want waterproof, and the permanent kind, these do it in spades.

It's 3mm neoprene with some type of cloth bonded on top and bonded microfleece on the inside. And somehow it breaths. I never sweat or feel wet in it. It's become my go to winter coat most days simply because its comfortable and you don't need anything under it down to about 20-30 degrees. Just whatever you're already wearing indoors.

91Xu%2BREw-7L._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:
For $100 I also suggest the Marmot Precip. I had once for a long time but was never super happy with the fit of it for my build. (Nothing from Marmot fits me the way I'd like)

Looking at Patigonia.com it looks like you can get last year's colors of the Torrentshell for $90. Very similar jacket and their fit is better (for me anyway)

2nd hand is a great option. We have a consignment store in town that specializes in outdoor gear. I ended up selling my precip jacket for like $40 to someone at a gear swap. It was like new.

Personally I'm back to a 3-ply Goretex shell. Little heavier, much more expensive, far more durable options available. This is after having a high end Patagonia H2NO jacket delaminate under very little actual use.

Finally I don't think you'll find anything comfortable during a hot AZ rain shower. There is really no such thing as a highly breathable waterproof coat. The finest goretex jacket is still going to make you sweat terribly if it's 80° and your moving, even in the rain.

They have a great warranty. My torrentshell started delaminating at the front of the collar. They said that happens because the skin oils and saliva will degrade the fabric. They said that I needed to wash the collar area with hand soap once in awhile to keep it clean.

But instead of using that as an excuse they still gave me a new jacket. And since they didn't have the model I had they gave me the latest one.

You pay more for the "pata-gucchi" brand but it's worth every penny because they stand behind their products and they're the best made outdoor clothes out there. My wife's fleece from 30 years ago is still wearable and presentable despite years of abuse.

For $100 I also suggest the Marmot Precip. I had once for a long time but was never super happy with the fit of it for my build. (Nothing from Marmot fits me the way I'd like)

Looking at Patigonia.com it looks like you can get last year's colors of the Torrentshell for $90. Very similar jacket and their fit is better (for me anyway)

2nd hand is a great option. We have a consignment store in town that specializes in outdoor gear. I ended up selling my precip jacket for like $40 to someone at a gear swap. It was like new.

Personally I'm back to a 3-ply Goretex shell. Little heavier, much more expensive, far more durable options available. This is after having a high end Patagonia H2NO jacket delaminate under very little actual use.

Finally I don't think you'll find anything comfortable during a hot AZ rain shower. There is really no such thing as a highly breathable waterproof coat. The finest goretex jacket is still going to make you sweat terribly if it's 80° and your moving, even in the rain.

For breathability nothing beats a poncho. I think rain poncho would be the great for az.

Nobody has really mentioned it but I have a North Face rain jacket that is very waterproof and packs down into its own pocket. Instead of doing that I just got a small stuff sack to put it in. It makes storing the jacket neater and I could roll it up better so as to not put as much stress on the Goretex fabric. It has a generous hood with a bill, storm flap over zipper and vents under the arms. I got it on sale on online for $65.

We use Marmot Precip jackets, as many others have mentioned prior. Simple, light, packable and with plenty of pockets and a nice hood. The cost is quite reasonable I believe too. I've found they are good quality and quite durable. Mine typically gets used in the backcountry hiking remote canyons, creeks, etc. Its seen its fair share of locust and catclaw brush....I'm guessing its close to 10 years old now.

This has been my go to for several years. "Eddie Bauer" taped seams, hood, packable , no liner so it's light weight, water proof. My son got both of us one years ago on clearance for two dollars each! I've since got a very similar Columbia brand, but it does have a mesh lining in the torso.
001.JPG
002.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom