GOT Packable Rain Jacket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Looking an education and suggestions with experience on packable minimalist rain jacket. In my research I see you can spend some serious $$$ on a minimalist rain jacket. I would like to cap my cost at less than a $100. Im from Arizona so my use will be more when traveling than home use.

After searching for a cheap solution for months when my boy was in Scouts and I was getting rained on in camp, I found the best outlet was local Goodwills. I have 3x lightweight jackets from Eddie Bauer, REI and some cycling brand I can't recall. all were over $100 new and I paid less than $20 for all 3. Even picked up a London Fog dress over coat for $20. All were or were like brand new. The wife and both kids all have a great assortment now for dress and camp, we spent less than $100 for all the camping rain jackets and pants.

After searching for a cheap solution for months when my boy was in Scouts and I was getting rained on in camp, I found the best outlet was local Goodwills. I have 3x lightweight jackets from Eddie Bauer, REI and some cycling brand I can't recall. all were over $100 new and I paid less than $20 for all 3. Even picked up a London Fog dress over coat for $20. All were or were like brand new. The wife and both kids all have a great assortment now for dress and camp, we spent less than $100 for all the camping rain jackets and pants.

Great tip!

This is what I use I have gone through 2 of them so far the first lasted through Monsoon season in Mali now I am on my second I have had for 2 years now and has held up great stows into its own pocket as well.

My construction rain gear is carhart slicks. They condense well and I never get wet. My take on rain gear is no zippers and button up or pull over. The zippers wick water in over time.

This is the coat I use and the pants or overall setup is personal preference. I use the pants personally and prefer them. For what the material feels like it surprisingly breathable.
Amazon.com: Carhartt Men's Big & Tall Surrey Coat: Clothing

My construction rain gear is carhart slicks. They condense well and I never get wet. My take on rain gear is no zippers and button up or pull over. The zippers wick water in over time.

This is the coat I use and the pants or overall setup is personal preference. I use the pants personally and prefer them. For what the material feels like it surprisingly breathable.
Amazon.com: Carhartt Men's Big & Tall Surrey Coat: Clothing

I like the construction endorsement and my experience with Carhartt has always been great. Definitely need to check Carhartt out.

In reading the reviews Im a little concerned about breathability mainly because its never cool or cold in Arizona. What part of the country are you in?

I bought some very cheap raincoats that were jecho an china. Three of them have knockoff north face emblems. But they cost about $9 each and have actually worked very well. Super stuffable. About half the size of a roll of toilet paper.

Possible option..

I got a sweet $120 UnderArmor Rain jacket from Marshals for $40. I keep it packed in my hiking backpack and it packs down super small. We're in CO so crazy rain happens and you've gotta have one on hand.

I bought some very cheap raincoats that were jecho an china. Three of them have knockoff north face emblems. But they cost about $9 each and have actually worked very well. Super stuffable. About half the size of a roll of toilet paper.

Possible option..

Where did you find these jackets?

What part of the country are you in?

South Dakota. Which gets hot for a few months but nothing like where you live. We have 4 seasons here.

It's definitely not as breathable as the higher end coats but the general design is what I like. It has a double button on the front and It sheds water well.

I have a few but the one I use the most is the Patagonia Torrentshell. It zips into a pocket and it is somewhat breathable. I have not found one yet that will keep me completely dry when hiking in a rain storm.

Btw that's not the exact place I bought mine from, but id be surprised if they are much different.

They are super light.

frogg toggs not as noisy as nylon...

I bought an REI rain jacket about 6 years ago for $75. It has zip open armpits for airflow that help a ton. Not breathable otherwise. It even held up to a spilled car battery I was carrying once. Packs into one of the pockets but is still about 6x8x1.5". It's actually also a great outer layer over a light jacket to keep from bringing a heavier coat. Definitely not 'ultralight/minimalist', though. I saw a bunch of different models from them the other day up to $150. Some were breathable.

Looking an education and suggestions with experience on packable minimalist rain jacket. In my research I see you can spend some serious $$$ on a minimalist rain jacket. I would like to cap my cost at less than a $100. Im from Arizona so my use will be more when traveling than home use.

Whatever membrane you go with, i.e. Gore-Tex, go with a three ply. They have much greater longevity. Look for taped seams also. Make sure there is a zipper channel or flap. This includes pockets and pit zips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom