Gas Tank Cushion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know of a supplier for the thick felt like strips that Toyota put on top of this 1979 FJ40 gas tank or an alternative product that preferably won’t wick or hold water?

Thanks

upload_2017-3-6_17-55-43.jpeg

We have a local company called whistler Bearing and they sell scraps of conveyer belt rubber from industrial applications. They have different thicknesses to choose from.

I'll go third on using rubber, the majority of the rust on the bottom of my fuel tank was at those padding locations... I used 3M 5200 to secure the rubber.

Rubber!!!!!

I actually used corrugated rubber mat because it provides an air gap.

I actually used corrugated rubber mat because it provides an air gap.

I think you're referring to a product I've always known as Isomode but has other names. I've used it for 45 years in the hvac trade in wet environments and "yes" the air gap helps a lot. I keep it on hand and use it often. Here's my self fabbed aluminum tank mounted under my seats with it. Been in there 16 years.

DSC04797w.jpg

DSC04801 w.jpg

I cut up an old radiator hose like cutting a sausage and cut each slice in half in the approximate size of the old felts. the strips curved around the contour of the tank.

I just RTV five or six 1/8"-3/16" slices of 1" diameter rubber stopper on the top and bottom. Works great and there's nothing to hold moisture against the tank.

I know this is a couple months old, but I'm curious why nobody is spraying Line-x or something similar on the underside of the tank to aid on the abrasion and moisture fronts. Seems like a perfect place to add a little extra something to the tank to provide a little more durable surface to wear through from all the vibration. I would bet that the issue of rusting under whatever pads used is only partly the moisture. Constantly vibrating against the thin paint on the tank will eventually rub the paint off in spots. It wouldn't take much moisture at that point to cause rust, no matter what kind of pad is there.

When I redid my tub mounts, I kept the old square rubbers ones. They're perfect for under the tank.

I threw mine in the washing machine and they came out like new. Now re-using them is another question as indicated by the comments above.

Guys I started this thread. For what its worth I ended up peeling the OEM cushions off the original tank and reused them on my new tank.

After nearly 40 years all of the rust on my OEM tank was inside. The tank appeared to be very solid even though there was a lot of rust inside and the small flap inside the tank had rusted off. It was beyond relining.

The after market tank I purchased was a perfect fit but clearly made of thinner metal. It also did not have a drain plug in the bottom of it. I took the OEM tank to a local welder. He cut out the drain plug from the old tank and welded it into the new tank. When I got it back the new tank looked like it came from the factory with the plug already built it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom