Fzj80 cruise control shutout while driving..HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wad taking a bit of a road trip on and off with the cruise control, went to re engage it and turn Cruise back on the light kind of flickered on the dash, failed to engage, and now cruise doesnt light up at all or engage .. could this be the actuator ? It was working fine throught the beginning of the road trip no problem..

Interested to see the replies on this one, mine has done that occasionally but usually works fine the next time I drive it.

It shut itself off because it detected a fault. You can reset it by turning the key off and back on, but if the fault is still detected it will shut off again. You can identify the fault code by using the procedure outlined in the FSM. Mine was a high current detected on the servo motor. Cleaning and lubricating the servo and associated cables made it go away.

It shut itself off because it detected a fault. You can reset it by turning the key off and back on, but if the fault is still detected it will shut off again. You can identify the fault code by using the procedure outlined in the FSM. Mine was a high current detected on the servo motor. Cleaning and lubricating the servo and associated cables made it go away.

shut the truck off and the light re-lit after pulling the cable about 10x from the cruise actuator ... my engines clean but the actuator compartment looks a bit dirty... what is the proper way of cleaning this ?

One obvious thing:
1) do you have led brake lights? If so, this is most likely the problem.

If not follow @Pin_Head's advice to check the fault code (number of flashes).

One obvious thing:
1) do you have led brake lights? If so, this is most likely the problem.

If not follow @Pin_Head's advice to check the fault code (number of flashes).

nope, factory TOYOTA Taillights. I was also reading it could be low brake fluid or brake switch light. all fluids are perfect and my brake lights work. I guess it pulled a classic FJ80 move.. fixed itself :D

Disuse. Drive it more.

Do LED tail-lights cause this? That's interesting, anyone have an idea why or a thread about it?

It has to do with the voltage/relay necessity or something. I'm not an electrical engineer. I just read about it when my cruise control was intermittent.

I only have led reverse lights.

My cruise control fixed itself.

Fun fact (maybe): My 1992 doesn't have cruise control. My 1993 does.

@cruiserdan says that all 80 series came with cruise. Anyone else NOT have cruise?

my cruise has done and does that still. At first i thought it was my TPS sensor. I replaced it and it didn't do it again... for a while. Then it did it again. Another thing that i've tried is the plug to the cruise control module. Mine was really gunked up. I cleaned it out with electrical connector cleaner and that helped a lot too.

I say you do want cruise control. When i take cross country trips and my GPS says i have 13 hours of driving i sure as hell want cruise control.

My LED Depo Taillights had no affect on my cruise control. I did have an issue with it last month but I found out that my brake light switch wasn't working. I cleaned it and cycled it a bunch of times after spraying it with G96 and now it works fine. Basically it was cutting out because the truck was slowing down and it didn't realize the brake was being applied.

Do LED tail-lights cause this? That's interesting, anyone have an idea why or a thread about it?
Yes they can. I had an issue where the CC would cut out every time I hit the turn signal for a lane change. Changed out the LEDs for regular bubs and problem disappeared.

this has happened to me on several toyota trucks

it was the brake pedal on my 80 and the clutch on my 4runner and tacoma

The bushings are worn, so when the pedal is "resting" it's not all the way up and the sensor thinks it's engaged.

The "fix" is to put your foot under the brake pedal and push up. Try your cruise control, if it works, congrats you found the problem.

It's probably a pretty quick/easy fix for a permanent solution, but I just kept pushing up on the pedal.

Welcome to the club, I am currently taking a break from trying to figure out my cruise control issues on my 96 fzj. I just let my 16 year old son drive, he doesn't care if the cruise control works or not.

I use CC a lot and have found if I wait a minute once I turn CC on before I 'set it' I have much better results. I should follow pinheads trouble shooting suggestion but Im lazy and as long as my work-around works.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom