FST Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RustyNailJustin

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Newbie question I feel like I should know the answer to.
I added the pictured 72 FST FJ40 to my collection last fall. I am slowly making some changes to it. It came with a factory roll bar that had been modified. I am wondering if and when did Toyota start putting roll bars in the FST versions? I took the one out and plan on keeping it without.
IMG_20170328_185727.jpg

Justin, roll bar came when the short jump seats were offered, as they fit between the roll bar, 74 and up.... need some cherry doors and bows?

I have a pile of FST doors I have been sitting on for along time. I have bows but they need some love. PM me details on the bows. I believe I have everything else becides the actual top. Probably going trollhole.

Justin, roll bar came when the short jump seats were offered, as they fit between the roll bar, 74 and up.... need some cherry doors and bows?

is 74 also the cutoff for early and late
fst bows????

is 74 also the cutoff for early and late
fst bows????

Yes and no. '74 would have been the first year with the interior light on the b pillar, but the bows changed again for the later model doors.

Messing with my cleaner set of doors.

IMG_20170330_072835.jpg

What's the difference between the early & late bows... is it isolated to the channel over the front doors that bolt to the windshield?

What's the difference between the early & late bows... is it isolated to the channel over the front doors that bolt to the windshield?

This is the best diagram I've seen explaining the difference

IMG_2566.JPG

Thanks for the pictures... I have my early bows on my 81 at the moment. It doesn't seem to be an issue other than the height of the door channel seems about 1/2 - 1 inch too high. Still seems like it would seal okay though. I have a new, unused aftermarket OEM soft top manufactured by Kayline. Now that you've pointed out the differences, I'm wondering if that's going to impact fitment. Hmm...

Last edited:
Okay @upperblack I see where the newer style doors and the older style bows have some compatibility issues:

IMG_3993.JPG

I don't believe it's a matter of early or late but which doors they were made to fit. US is one of a very few markets that got soft doors. Most markets got hard doors from the beginning of the 40 series. They even made soft top models with hard doors for the FJ25. Believe when the corrugated top was replaced with a top with corner windows the angle started. So Toyota designed bows to fit the new style hard top doors. But the didn't resigned the soft doors for the few markets that got them. It would requiring making a thicker door.

Thanks @Living in the Past

I wonder if I can deal with the door rub & just run these. The bows I have aren't reproductions... So, I don't have the stomach to modify them. Late to finding @S4Cruiser 's post looking for a trade.

Factory 40 mirror but you will need to ask the pros on if this was a FST mirror.

BTW I am digging your FST!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom