Front swaybar quick disconnects revisited and tested (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@LandCruiserPhil

Got a quick install question. I have factory bumpstops installed where these bolt. Do I just remove those? I have extended bumpstops inside the spring if that helps. But both of the above mentioned bumpstops look like they have seen axle contact.

@LandCruiserPhil

Got a quick install question. I have factory bumpstops installed where these bolt. Do I just remove those? I have extended bumpstops inside the spring if that helps. But both of the above mentioned bumpstops look like they have seen axle contact.

Yes you are correct

Cycling your suspension when with swaybars disconnected.

After I have heard and seen 3 guys have issues I want to address cycling your suspension. I have verified 2 of the 3 issues where from not enough or none at all swaybar spacing done after lifting. Because all lifts can be different this should be done even if you dont have swaybar disconnects. Swaybar spacer do more than ensuring you have clearance with your swaybars disconnected it puts your swaybar geometry closer to where Toyota intended it to be. Most of your complete lift kits come with swaybar spacers :doh: So if you dont you should with or without disconnects.

Pictured is the way to find out if you have clearance. First disconnect your swaybars:doh: and jack the vehicle up like pictured. Jacking one side at a time will not yield as much as pictured. My swaybar spacer (pictured) are custom welded extensions where most use blocks, both are fine. As you can see from the pictures my clearance is tight. Some may say too tight but I would never say its too tight;) So far after 10's of thousand dirt miles I have been golden.

Some have said just extend your brackets but it will not work. Back when I was in the design phase (yep contrary to what others have alluded to there was design) I removed the springs and set the 80 on the factory bump stops to make sure there was not conflict not matter on compression. Full extension is your end of the responsibility to ensure your have the needed clearance.

IMG_5023.JPG
IMG_5024.JPG
IMG_5027.JPG

Cycling your suspension when with swaybars disconnected.

After I have heard and seen 3 guys have issues I want to address cycling your suspension. I have verified 2 of the 3 issues where the are no sway bar spacers

I'm not sure why OME doesnt automatically include these sway bar spacers in their lifts. Whenever we put an OME equipped 80 on a lift In the shop w/o front sway bar spacers, when the front tires go full droop, the front sway bar smacks into the front driveline . Nothing you want on the trail, that's for sure.

You can get these spacers from ome, manafre, Slee, etc. Do the rear sway bar while your at it, simple and not that expensive.

Can't wait to try the disconnects out on next weeks Copper State Cruisers run of the month at Payette draw. A great place to utilize the extra flex that's for sure.

Last edited:
What do I need to do for these to work on a '92?

What do I need to do for these to work on a '92?

You will need to tack weld the bracket to the frame. If you have the skills for that you can more than likely make your own. Let me know if I help with any parts if you go that route.

I love my disconnects, thank Phil!
IMG_1211.JPG
IMG_2832.JPG

Mine are still on the shelf awaiting an install...for about a year now, along with a ridiculous amount of other mods/upgrades. :rolleyes:

I think it's about time...

Mine are still on the shelf awaiting an install...for about a year now, along with a ridiculous amount of other mods/upgrades. :rolleyes:

I think it's about time...

You will be very happy to have them on and tested before HITR

seems like you only need a single bracket to hold 1 side up. Once disconnected from the axle there is no twisting action on the sway bar. What is the reason for having 2?

The Swaybar is mounted by links with ball joints ends (not fixed points) requring both ends to be secured to keep it from unwanted swaybar movement.

Still the best bang for the buck on a 80 series for articulation gains and smoothing out your ride on bumpy terrain. Our SBD will also keep you from ripping off the swaybar axle mounts so many have had fail from hard wheeling.

Swaybar Disconnects - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom