Front disc brake trouble shooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.uglina.com
I have owned "uglina" for several years (see 27 page build thread on this site). She has front discs and rear drums. Until about 2 months ago, the brakes were great. Recently, the car has started pulling to the left. It has gotten to the point where it pulls pretty hard when you apply the brakes. I made sure the tire pressures were right and looked for obvious leaks. My next thought is to adjust the rear brakes. After that, I don't know. Any other suggestions?

I would take a look at the drums first. As you pointed out, could be the right rear drum needs tightened. Perhaps jack up the rear and see if you've got slight drag on both drums.

Last edited:
A little more information about the disc brakes would be helpful; factory parts, GM parts, or other. Pictures might also help.

You could verify whether or not a caliper piston is stuck by backing off the pads from the discs with a pair of channel lock pliers. The one that won't move is the problem. I wasn't suggesting guessing if they were the problem.

Feel the hub after a short drive--the hot one is bad--if you've got one, you will shortly have two--replace both

Feel the hub after a short drive--the hot one is bad--if you've got one, you will shortly have two--replace both

Gary is right. A sticky caliper=a hot rotor.

Second changing them both. Safety first.

The right front caliper was leaking, and brake fluid was on the pads and rotor. Next time, I'll do my inspection in daylight. :) Any suggestions where to buy calipers and pads? I would like to support someone who supports this forum.

why not get the factory parts from @beno

Shipping is usually a deal breaker from USA sources. Bought a decent looking set (2) of Calipers for $70/each at a USA. They're working well. The OEM ones I rebuild were still working 19 years after doing so... so it's not rocket science.

Reman OEM Calipers are cheap, about $50 each from toyota, but there is a core charge(I think more than $50) So it's probably not cost effective to ship both ways.

@beno hooked me up with brake pads and gave me the lead on getting the reman calipers from my local NAPA. Price was less than $50 per caliper with a $60 core charge. Casting marks indicate the reman calipers are from the foundry Toyota uses (thanks, @beno, for the part numbers and casting mark info). I will let you how the caliper changeout progresses.

Calipers were $75 at my Toyota dealer, with a discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom