Frankenstein's fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just now seeing your thread. For a first time Cruiser owner, you're really fitting in nicely.

Since you've exposed the bib on the white Cruiser, a fact no one has addressed yet... The late model bibs with the square bezel (I hate by the way) was changed because the US demanded that Toyota make the headlights farther apart. Rather than change the whole front, the simply slid the headlights out a little but that left less room for the round bezel. Notice that the bezel is thinner outbound of the headlights. A square one fixed the issue.

Now, go back to your previously scheduled rebuild...
Ah I was wondering why they went to the ugly square ones. That aside I am very pleased that the white one will retain its proper round one.

Speaking of....last update before I head out to work. Only sliiiightly damaged the thing that holds the square nut. (Hate those btw. Much prefer welded nuts or just regular)
1A1B6C0B-BB30-41E8-8898-B2AE4CE25F30.jpeg

2C70C292-168D-45B4-B508-77BFD70524B0.jpeg

Got the other apron off, gas pedal, and parking brake. The apron got a litttttlllleee bit toasty while warming up the square nuts.
37251134-19F4-4315-A412-03D261297DB5.jpeg

image.jpg

Hopefully I can get a few more parts off before a long valentines day shift. Stay tuned for more snapped bolts and questionable decisions!

Last shot before work. Got half the fresh air pull brackets out. (Screws always giving me hell). Also got the FD cable now loose too.
6AF8F30F-940F-4FD5-A7E7-44C115440B1D.jpeg

Tomorrow is a big day since I only got one job instead of two, so hopefully I can get the brake booster off and the clutch. Then methodically and *carefully* take off all the tubes that are on the firewall. (For the wiper fluid and FD I believe)

Well we *were* doing beautifully on removing the fender. Then one bolt decided to snap. Still 1 of 4 is better than all.

61F4B490-F5FC-41DA-A103-E5DBEF1709EE.jpeg

70972673-7973-4E7C-ACF3-96AB0D7A9067.jpeg

Let’s hope the other side goes as good if not better!

My frame also had 1 snapped fender bolt. When you get to the apron cage nuts, McMaster has new ones with tabs that are easy to use. They give a little less movement though. For mine that damaged the cages, I was able to source a metric square but and tap the cages back into shape then a little tack weld to keep together.
Looking good!

My frame also had 1 snapped fender bolt. When you get to the apron cage nuts, McMaster has new ones with tabs that are easy to use. They give a little less movement though. For mine that damaged the cages, I was able to source a metric square but and tap the cages back into shape then a little tack weld to keep together.
Looking good!
Ah surprisingly aside from burning the apron a little I only destroyed one cage nut( glad to know the name now!)

Finally got the other one off and par the course I snapped a bolt. Well hopefully tomorrow on my day off I can get the last of the items off the firewall and send this to sandblasting (Or repair the floors first. Not sure which order would be better.)
310D7A23-17D5-4E6D-B1CE-E9496F458710.jpeg

C71A6A0B-78ED-4F9F-ADE0-171361C62C10.jpeg

Got some ideas and planning happening atm before we do the floors.
409DB910-5712-4806-B5FF-E2E01BECDAA1.jpeg

Also thank you dad for being able to clean the vent panel up and gettin it straight again.
8725E3F0-65DC-47E9-8CC2-E97160D533A3.jpeg

7B5500AA-58D2-43BA-9876-6B2949102558.jpeg

Not sure what the PO hit but it was enough to ding up the fender, vent panel, running board, and the quarter panel a little. But dad was able to straight it all back up.

Just about done. Down to body mounts and steering box. A tad annoying design that you have to pull the steering box off to remove the column.
A840EF04-65ED-4039-B588-C4CB788C49BD.jpeg

636140E5-8036-4E83-AF4D-22C964AD2023.jpeg

Also the OEM weatherstripping from SOR arrived safely! Certainly the most pricey part of this whole thing at over $2k.

We finally got the steering box and tub off the frame. Just need to get it clean tomorrow and hopefully send it to be sandblasted!

The color has been chosen and I need to buy a bucket or two. I might get a little flak for choosing Toyota quicksand as the color but with my special (colorblind useless) eyes the color looks like the best tan out of all I seen. (Counting the ones that were on the fj40’s)

good luck

dont forget to remove BOTH DATA ID Plates ................riveted to body

fyi

When I brought my fenders to the blaster I forgot about the id plate. Told him when I got there and he said they have special tape and he made a note on painters tape on it. Well... when I went to pick it up they had not taped it and blasted right over it. Just a sandblasted aluminum rectangle now.

When I brought my fenders to the blaster I forgot about the id plate. Told him when I got there and he said they have special tape and he made a note on painters tape on it. Well... when I went to pick it up they had not taped it and blasted right over it. Just a sandblasted aluminum rectangle now.
Well good news is that I’ll be getting the hood, fenders, and smaller stuff out later this week. I’ll definitely be removing that! XD

I thought @ToyotaMatt wasn’t doing data plates anymore or at this time?

I thought @ToyotaMatt wasn’t doing data plates anymore or at this time?

sadly Covid took the life of the engraving shop owner , eldery man nice dude too ........

my passion for that trade craft and details was ripped out from under me , and i try to bury my emotions about it for now

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT and read my last Post post i make before i lock the doors on my Preciousness Gallery and lifes work

for so very long that helped so very many here in the forum ...............

HERE IS MY GRAND GALLERY LINK :

NOT one above fyi ./........

Well we *were* doing beautifully on removing the fender. Then one bolt decided to snap. Still 1 of 4 is better than all.

View attachment 2586361
View attachment 2586362
Let’s hope the other side goes as good if not better!
If you don't have one yet, drop a couple bucks on a good air needle scaler. It will do wonders on that flaky frame rust or flaky rust anywhere for that matter.

Been clearing up garage in preparation for the tub to come back. Getting the last of the nuts and bolts off of stuff like the hood and fenders.
09CE6D46-06F6-4BE5-95F7-2EF102E0C859.jpeg
All clean and ready.

8CA60579-3DC4-4BD9-A700-A853730C7DD4.jpeg
Got 3/4 off no issues. One lil pos spun. Guess I’m getting a new set of windshield rests. Hood spear came off safely.
B06EC0D7-6ADB-4C4A-BBCA-B14FE89F1007.jpeg
Your boy here is the epiphany of boneheaded. Guess who forgot the washers were not brass. This guy. Melted both.
97A1C962-0B03-417D-84BB-7985FF7CCDD9.jpeg
All ready for sandblasting!

Gooooood bye vaccum lines for FD. You’ll be replaced by a floor shifter. Gotta keep that firewall nice and clean. However! Don’t fret. Everything is bagged and tagged and going to be stored juuuuust in case I decide to sell (and then regret) the rig.
23C322DD-497B-45B0-8293-BFF7DDB5FB59.jpeg

image.jpg

On a side note I post a lot of pics just incase I need to reference them at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom