Frankenstein's fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There you go if you take a couple or three and stick them together you could still end up with one completed project and the base for a second!

That’s the plan so far. The white one will probably become the main and then a toss up between the brown(red?) one and the blue one. The third will end up a crawler or be sold off to a good home to one of you guys.

Alrighty guys been super busy. Finally got both rigs home and I am still going through them.

02AE840E-DE82-4B87-998C-61971A87C727.jpeg

DAC8088C-8111-41CF-ABDA-E4708DBCD800.jpeg

The white one cleaned up pretty good from a casual wipe down. Glass is all good except windshield. Definitely will be the main one.

954A349C-53E4-4F79-93FE-065BDCC0ED81.jpeg

Tossed together a harbor freight trailer and finally got this one home.

9917CE4C-351E-4F21-BF18-493675AAE200.jpeg

30EC6057-F5A4-4AD0-A578-EC52DF1ADE1A.jpeg

Also started disassembly. I used 3 different types of penetrating oils to assist the bolts in removal. Going through and seeing what is all good. Going to definitely be a long summer.

Ok so we finally got the white one back home and boy am I gonna be limited on time to work on it.

35002D0C-1320-42D0-A74B-331738B2F335.jpeg

So far as it goes I am currently working on seeing if I can bring that original F engine back to life. It turns freely by hand, the rotor turns, and the lifters and rockers all moved when I spun the fan. So I *think* I’m gonna risk putting the starter on ,get a can of fuel to the carb and try to give it a start? By allllll means someone feel free to voice an opinion if that sounds like a bad idea.

Also I have an immaculate lower dash pad I’m thinking of sellin to help fund getting doors and a new passenger side hard top.(Corner damage above the window)
9BA51E10-E27F-4424-B250-7370AD9655D0.jpeg
E76EC50E-172C-4F1B-B08F-192004C2D7A7.jpeg

Also got an upper pad too. Not as nice. XD

Also yes the bezel is flipped. It’s barely being held on zipties, so I’ll deal with that sooner than later.

It turns freely by hand, the rotor turns, and the lifters and rockers all moved when I spun the fan. So I *think* I’m gonna risk putting the starter on ,get a can of fuel to the carb and try to give it a start?

If you think that it has not been started in years, you might dump a tablespoon of ATF in each cylinder and rotate the engine a bit with the starter (beware the possible spray-out), then reinstall the plugs and attempt to start. Some folks also change the oil, but when refilling, remove the valve cover and dump a quart all over the valve train. You can also do the 'ATV in the plug holes' trick a couple days before you attempt to start it, and let it trickle down out of the cylinders.

It turns freely by hand, the rotor turns, and the lifters and rockers all moved when I spun the fan. So I *think* I’m gonna risk putting the starter on ,get a can of fuel to the carb and try to give it a start?

If you think that it has not been started in years, you might dump a tablespoon of ATF in each cylinder and rotate the engine a bit with the starter (beware the possible spray-out), then reinstall the plugs and attempt to start. Some folks also change the oil, but when refilling, remove the valve cover and dump a quart all over the valve train. You can also do the 'ATV in the plug holes' trick a couple days before you attempt to start it, and let it trickle down out of the cylinders.

Ah! Thank you for the suggestions! I shall do at least a couple of these. I'm assuming the reason behind it is because the cylinders and pistons are probably dry as can be?

Yes - you want everything swimming in oil before you turn it over or attempt to start. Don't put so much oil in the cylinders that you hydrolock it, however!

The engine in mine hasn’t been started since 1990. I plan on priming oil pump and turning crank 90 degrees at a time until I see oil at the rockers. I’m lucky that the PO fogged the motor when they shut it down for a resto that never got started in 1990. Still plan on some cylinder lube and spinning the motor over by the starter with no plugs in though.

Ah I supposen I should update this thread a bit more. Put a hold on the engine work on the white one and been going through it. Have some plans for it now.
AF98EFE5-D296-4E6F-9126-445129DFF1C6.jpeg

step 1 remove the fiberglass roof and label every.single.wire.
C0DB1540-3694-4E69-9361-A714F9324C11.jpeg

Following wires is hell. Between original wires and PO wiring I have had a hell of a time with this step.

Ah I supposen I should update this thread a bit more. Put a hold on the engine work on the white one and been going through it. Have some plans for it now.
View attachment 2581096
step 1 remove the fiberglass roof and label every.single.wire.
View attachment 2581097
Following wires is hell. Between original wires and PO wiring I have had a hell of a time with this step.
I feel your pain. Electrical work in general is lowest on my fun or interesting list. Just imagine doing it when you're red/green color blind........ I tend to burn lots of things 💥

I feel your pain. Electrical work in general is lowest on my fun or interesting list. Just imagine doing it when you're red/green color blind........ I tend to burn lots of things 💥
I *am* Red/green colorblind! XD
Hence the extra hell it has been. Ah yes white wire with pink stripe, white wire with brown strip, white wire with faded red stripe. Fml.
A95E3F18-0EAB-4075-A708-B2928D4680D8.jpeg
There it all is. Labeled, removed, and hated.

728A84AB-A3CD-4E12-8552-44DC15456595.jpeg

Also I swore that I saw *somewhere* on the forums someone who does new plugs for the older style wipers. Despite my great care it still got a little damaged.

I *am* Red/green colorblind! XD
Hence the extra hell it has been. Ah yes white wire with pink stripe, white wire with brown strip, white wire with faded red stripe. Fml.
View attachment 2581105There it all is. Labeled, removed, and hated.

View attachment 2581104
Also I swore that I saw *somewhere* on the forums someone who does new plugs for the older style wipers. Despite my great care it still got a little damaged.
LOL, fellow color challenged cruiserhead 😀. @ToyotaMatt can help you out with those plugs.

LOL, fellow color challenged cruiserhead 😀. @ToyotaMatt can help you out with those plugs.
Aha so it *was* Matt! I shall see if I can poke him and get myself going the right direction for a new plug.

Also I only got a few hours tomorrow to finish rearranging the garage to try and squeeze the cruiser into it. Otherwise it and myself will be workin in the rain for the next week. (No cool snow just rain.)

Aha so it *was* Matt! I shall see if I can poke him and get myself going the right direction for a new plug.

Also I only got a few hours tomorrow to finish rearranging the garage to try and squeeze the cruiser into it. Otherwise it and myself will be workin in the rain for the next week. (No cool snow just rain.)
I would prefer rain, no shovel needed for that.

True but with the top off the colder snow would definitely be better in my mind. XD

Speakin of.....
View attachment 2581118
Managed to save at least 10 bolts. Learning quite a lot with heating, penetrating oils, welded nuts...

89620-60060jpg.image.500 x400 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg

at your service .......... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom