Frankenstein's fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love it! Welcome to the forum! I also love seeing those southern Oregon hills! So familiar. My old stomping grounds. Miss it.

Thank you! Tbh I'm pretty close to being able to take this out onto those hills! It's roadworthy now....not hill worthy yet.

I also have a multi year 40. I'm building it to be functional not original. If there are stock parts available I'll use them but not at any loss of functionality. As many have said build it to suit you and what you want the 40 to become... but most importantly have fun and enjoy the truck for what it does.

So far I have had fun with it and I am just loving the size of it. Going from a s10 blazer to a 77 Nova to this....just wow.

I recommend a new plate instead of fixing the rust....that is just too close to Jeep

View attachment 2280156

Ahahaha someone finally said it. The thread didn't even make it a day. XD
Tbh I am soooo gonna leave it. For the exact reason you spotted and well....I can *actually* remember the plate so when I go to get paid parking I ain't walkin back to the vehicle 3 times.

Alrighty this week is gonna be a fun one. Tomorrow or Thursday my OME 2 inch lift with bilstein shocks comes in annnnd since I was already buying 33 x 10.5/15 KO2 from Advance tires I figured I’d let them tackle installation. They cut me a good deal on it so I figured why not.

The remainder of the week once I get it back I’ll be cleaning up/redoing the wiring the PO and PPO did. Crimped connections, wires going nowhere, and wires just left out.

Got some pretty pics of the engine compartment for those of us more interested in just pics. ;)
2DB05C3F-077C-4E58-A992-A2D1AC5B1E0F.jpeg

D723AC16-FE81-4A69-AAD8-CFB58FD94F55.jpeg

5FCC9750-9FFD-4B5B-9FA3-08DD1439F824.jpeg

If anyone spots any glaring issues feel free to chime in. I’m a novice at best in this department and most of my knowledge is with SBC 350’s. XD
I’ll try to keep reading up on the forums what I don’t know but it *is* nice to get some info that might be more recent than 2003.

Edit- Also I am currently researching what I need to convert the fron to disc brakes. Surprisingly the PO or PPO did the rears already. ( Gonna have to double check they didn't change the gear ratio by just swapping rear axle) So far I narrowed it down to either getting the kit from JToutfitters orrr finding a later year,fj60, or mini truck to get the parts from. Any personal experiences from any would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Alrighty this week is gonna be a fun one. Tomorrow or Thursday my OME 2 inch lift with bilstein shocks comes in annnnd since I was already buying 33 x 10.5/15 KO2 from Advance tires I figured I’d let them tackle installation. They cut me a good deal on it so I figured why not.

The remainder of the week once I get it back I’ll be cleaning up/redoing the wiring the PO and PPO did. Crimped connections, wires going nowhere, and wires just left out.

Got some pretty pics of the engine compartment for those of us more interested in just pics. ;)
View attachment 2280963
View attachment 2280965
View attachment 2280966

If anyone spots any glaring issues feel free to chime in. I’m a novice at best in this department and most of my knowledge is with SBC 350’s. XD
I’ll try to keep reading up on the forums what I don’t know but it *is* nice to get some info that might be more recent than 2003.

That new suspension and tires is going to be sweet. Love that battery hold down! I can’t talk, I don’t have anything…😁

Just realized from looking at your photos that I am missing a horn! I only have one. Thought it was kind of wimpy sounding!

That new suspension and tires is going to be sweet. Love that battery hold down! I can’t talk, I don’t have anything…😁

Just realized from looking at your photos that I am missing a horn! I only have one. Thought it was kind of wimpy sounding!
In theory the new tires should give me just a lil more speed on the highway. Plus the springs and bilstein shocks miiiight give a tad better ride.

Also while I might have both horns....they aren't hooked up to the chevy column. XD

Alrighty guys got an update finally for ya. The weather has been less than cooperative, but hey any progress is good progress yeah?

So here is a before picture-
26299A28-580A-4B2E-B933-1633FC4EB7B6.jpeg

Annnnnd here below is the after picture-
499C14AA-D832-4DD9-B980-BD1A64C998DF.jpeg

Went ahead and jumped the gun on the visually most noticeable modification. That’s right a lift and new tires!
Using my many long hours of reading through previous threads and searches I went ahead and got none other than the Old Man Emu lift. Which included the following:
2.5 lift from the ome leaf springs
Ome bushings
U-bolts ect
Bilstein shocks

The tires after even more reading are the BFG KO2 33x10.5/15. The road noise is virtually undetectable and they have a decent aggressive look to them.

Now after a couple test drives I have determined that they allowed me to gain at least 10 mph higher top end speed. Roughly 55 at 2200-2300 rpm (F engine with 3 speed)
So I may have lost a little speed on take off(and probably some future issues with hills) , but at least now I won’t be holding up the evening commuters *too* badly!

Got some plans for the weekend to finish cleaning up PO wiring and probably go ahead and do a full fluid change on...just everything.

(A side note I’m also taking the time to write this all out so that *future* searches for tires/lifts/ect will be a bit more current than the 2003-2011 threads I kept coming across.)

Really? You just got this and already have the lift on it?.........
.....Makes sense I think the first 40 I noticed was worn faded old light blue one with "big" (for the time in 1990) 33" tires.

Your lift looks really nice and I plan on ordering one as well, did you get it from Metal Tech? I'm thinking of ordering their "light" weight springs is that what you got and if so how do they ride?

I am putting FJ60 axels on my 40 partly for the front disks in the process I will be moving the rear axel back an 1.5". In your picture it looks like your rear tire is much closer to the front of the wheel well cut out so I appreciate your picture seeing as how I intend to use the same products. How far back do you think you could move your axel (if you wanted) and still have it looking centered in the well?

The hills and trees remind me of the time I lived outside of Eureka both are very appropriate environments for a Cruiser. Anyways welcome to Mud :flipoff2::beer:and looking forward to seeing where you take this.

Really? You just got this and already have the lift on it?.........
.....Makes sense I think the first 40 I noticed was worn faded old light blue one with "big" (for the time in 1990) 33" tires.

Your lift looks really nice and I plan on ordering one as well, did you get it from Metal Tech? I'm thinking of ordering their "light" weight springs is that what you got and if so how do they ride?

I am putting FJ60 axels on my 40 partly for the front disks in the process I will be moving the rear axel back an 1.5". In your picture it looks like your rear tire is much closer to the front of the wheel well cut out so I appreciate your picture seeing as how I intend to use the same products. How far back do you think you could move your axel (if you wanted) and still have it looking centered in the well?

The hills and trees remind me of the time I lived outside of Eureka both are very appropriate environments for a Cruiser. Anyways welcome to Mud :flipoff2::beer:and looking forward to seeing where you take this.
I've had it rougly a month and a half. Been doing research and reading daily on things to fix and improve.
I got the ome lift through a local distributor (Advanced tires specifically) in addition to the tires as well.
The springs combined with the the bilstein shocks rides great thus far. I kept the old tires in back to add some weight for now. At this point though pretty sure the original leaf springs had been changed at least once.

I'm also doing something similar to you in a sense. I'll be getting later year fj40 or fj60 front axle to acquire the necessary parts to convert the front to disc brakes. The rear currently is disc brakes don by the PPO. I'll have to double check that the gearing is the same still. (Pretty sure it is given the rpms and speed I get currently.)

Also indeed the tire is probably about 1.5-2 inches closer to the front of the cutout due to the larger tire. If I were to wager a guess I could *possibly* move the axle 2 inches back max. At that point I would be concerned about how the suspension would travel after it being moved.

On an unrelated note I only managed to get the fluid changed for the transmission. Which after changing that nasty peanut butter I may do again very soon.(3 speed transmission took roughly 1.5 qts before coming back out of the fill plug) *ALSO REMEMBER KIDS MAKE SURE YOU CAN REMOVE THE FILL PLUG BEFORE DRAINING ANYTHING* (Learned that from reading previous posts! Credit to y’all)

Picture of the yummy peanut butter.
EFEE8BC4-2640-4415-8CFC-41B9EA876D06.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had it rougly a month and a half. Been doing research and reading daily on things to fix and improve.
I got the ome lift through a local distributor (Advanced tires specifically) in addition to the tires as well.
The springs combined with the the bilstein shocks rides great thus far. I kept the old tires in back to add some weight for now. At this point though pretty sure the original leaf springs had been changed at least once.

I'm also doing something similar to you in a sense. I'll be getting later year fj40 or fj60 front axle to acquire the necessary parts to convert the front to disc brakes. The rear currently is disc brakes don by the PPO. I'll have to double check that the gearing is the same still. (Pretty sure it is given the rpms and speed I get currently.)

Also indeed the tire is probably about 1.5-2 inches closer to the front of the cutout due to the larger tire. If I were to wager a guess I could *possibly* move the axle 2 inches back max. At that point I would be concerned about how the suspension would travel after it being moved.

On an unrelated note I only managed to get the fluid changed for the transmission. Which after changing that nasty peanut butter I may do again very soon.(3 speed transmission took roughly 1.5 qts before coming back out of the fill plug) *ALSO REMEMBER KIDS MAKE SURE YOU CAN REMOVE THE FILL PLUG BEFORE DRAINING ANYTHING* (Learned that from reading previous posts! Credit to y’all)

Picture of the yummy peanut butter.
View attachment 2285942

Thanks for the input on how that suspension and tires fit the body!

Going with the lift first will make it more fun right off the bat. The first thing I did on my rig back in the day was rebuild my three speed and transfer case then clutch, steering, brakes and body work.

Will likely have both the tranny and case available soon if you need one, going with the four speed/split case and diff gears from the FJ60 for a little more quiet and longer on road gearing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input on how that suspension and tires fit the body!

Going with the lift first will make it more fun right off the bat. The first thing I did on my rig back in the day was rebuild my three speed and transfer case then clutch, steering, brakes and body work.

Will likely have both the tranny and case available soon if you need one, going with the four speed/split case and diff gears from the FJ60 for a little more quiet and longer on road gearing.

Since it has been a good DD for me thus far I figured getting something I can actually see and feel would be a nice upgrade. (Fluids and getting the front disc brakes are up next)

Also I will definitely keep in mind about that 3 speed and transfer case ya got. Not sure how much life is potentially left in mine. (Although I *do* also have a 4 speed that was given when I purchased the fj40)

If you ever plan on folding down that late model windshield, i think you will want to scrounge up some late model hinges that give you clearance for the wipers. It looks to me like you have the early model hinges. The hinges that you need have the pivot on a short leg that extends out an extra cm or so from the face of the hinge plates.

If you ever plan on folding down that late model windshield, i think you will want to scrounge up some late model hinges that give you clearance for the wipers. It looks to me like you have the early model hinges. The hinges that you need have the pivot on a short leg that extends out an extra cm or so from the face of the hinge plates.

That is good knowledge to have. I did not know that hinge was different for the later years, but that does make sense due to the movement of the motor and wipers. (Although I don't think I would ever put the windshield down.)
This also brought to my attention yet another fantastic problem I have to fix from the PPO which is to say...that from looking at it straight on that my firewall is not squared up. I know the cause behind this and honestly a new donor tub is looking better and better all the time. I will start looking into my options for that soon. (Hopefully one of you fine people have something in your backyards that could use some love. That live on the west coast. XD)

That is good knowledge to have. I did not know that hinge was different for the later years, but that does make sense due to the movement of the motor and wipers. (Although I don't think I would ever put the windshield down.)
This also brought to my attention yet another fantastic problem I have to fix from the PPO which is to say...that from looking at it straight on that my firewall is not squared up. I know the cause behind this and honestly a new donor tub is looking better and better all the time. I will start looking into my options for that soon. (Hopefully one of you fine people have something in your backyards that could use some love. That live on the west coast. XD)

Hey! I’ve got first dibs on any rust free, inexpensive, unmolested west coast tubs! 😂

A quick update today before I head to work. Changed the pins and bushings for my driver door.
Also got some aftermarket telescoping mirrors from CCOT mounted. Although and the pictures will show the set screw mount snapped off completely and had to be rewelded on. So not exactly happy about that.

Got other parts from CCOT I’ll be showing once they are mounted as well,but once again a quality issue.

Pictures for those who love them.
993CA575-909A-487D-BC8C-BAC36F641AAF.jpeg

EBDCC1A0-2BCE-4EA7-9BD1-1E5C64891034.jpeg

5F84DE62-0B84-48E8-9F5C-BA78191B73B6.jpeg

Also they are turned that way to allow the vent windows to still open.

Last edited:
So juuuust to preface this post a tad I am by noooo means a novice welder. (Also fear not I have two whole quarter panels stored safely for now)

So I decided to see if I could try and patch up those nasty holes left by the PO. That way I could get my spare tire carrier on at least until I work out what sort of bumper set up I want.

Here’s the progress thus far. ( Also I did finally safely remove the tie down loop thing. So I can continue to weld.)
12AA5A7D-C711-4FED-B78F-3C6D9841D8B5.jpeg

7E9B5549-7727-4FDE-974F-250F45792615.jpeg

F03F1554-C7AF-4202-9B98-160F119FD36F.jpeg

Also good news to someone eventually on this forum. I happen to have a spare tire carrier and doors that I’ll eventually sell.

Lil update I finally got the driver side cut out and a little bit welded in. I think I did substantially better on my second try. The fit was much much better.
9C9168A4-8006-4E14-9D15-979680963BB3.jpeg

Although in a truly bonehead move I forgot to shut the hatch and pitted a good 3”x 14” area of the glass. Soooo whoops.:doh:

Ok so went outside to try and grind the welds smooth and see where I’m at. Apparently it’s going to be raining all week so I didn’t exactly have time to go back and weld or smooth it out with a little body filler. Just grinded smooth and got some primer sealer on it. The tossed my tarp over the roof just as it started to sprinkle.

Overall you can definitely see my progress in learning from the passenger side to my second attempt on the driver side.

First try passenger side below
F6CC499B-5B27-4881-851A-549A03ECCE7C.jpeg

Second try on the driver side below
A0EBAA66-322D-4E90-A4EE-C2711EACF32D.jpeg

And both side with a coat of primer sealer to hopefully help against this weeks onslaught of rain.
962D2C38-9EFA-42E7-ABB2-E3194BCCC17B.jpeg

Also might I add that I love the tie down things that are on the fj40’s!!

So thanks to a random person posting on a FB fj40 group I was able to come across some fun gems.

Without further ado here is some delicious pics of what’s to come.

B7437577-5717-405C-B32A-84DB6C4832E4.jpeg

EAEE0FD9-3800-4EBF-8F35-D0389B5689FC.jpeg

CBA8D4A5-C731-4487-97A9-F82E21862F5F.jpeg

D151E124-0B0B-4D90-BC10-99A4AB98F034.jpeg

9A938696-27A5-4B4F-B2A3-43FF3591A1D8.jpeg

So one is pretty good and the other is okish good. With these two now in my possession I can finally make mine just a bit better! It’s gonna be one hell of a long summer. Stay tuned guys!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom