Frankenstein's fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alrighty after reading a few build threads and taking some time to actually learn some things about these fj40s (Via faqs, threads, ancient threads, google searches, more google searches, and pictures....lots of pictures.) I think it's time to post my build thread!

To start with the basic info it is mostly a 1973 (12/72) fj40. However, as the title may have implied there are a *few* other years making up this rig. (Read as a lot).

We'll start this post off with at least a couple of pics. (I know you guys love seeing things!Also worry not the bezel is right side up!)

image2.jpg

Also I would like to point out reallllly quickly. I am definitely not the first owner of this. The previous owner just used it for a DD and kept it running, but the PPO did some of the *odd* changes and "fixes", soooo yeah don't be shocked when you see some....oddities here and there. I'm trying my best to fix them if possible. (There is some REALLY big fixes needing to be done but the damage is already there.)

Last edited:
Wow that thing really is a freak show it’s got a little bit of everything on it.😷

Yeahhh...I kinda figured the first comment would definitely address the elephant in the room. XD

Once I get the post ready and pictures all set I will go ahead and give y'all a rundown of just what years/parts were used to create this...abomination.

The bib, bezel, turn signals and the windshield are late model fj40 parts, but you probably know that. The body looks solid, I hope you can enjoy driving it while gradually changing things out. Good luck and have fun.

Just from two pix, it doesn't look bad. Bib, bezel, windshield frame and turn signals are easy to find and change.
For a reasonable price I "no nothing"
What's wrong with the bib? (Rust aside) I'll probably keep the windshield frame because the lower motor is nice. Turn signals I've been going back and forth if I want original year, the nice round older style....or just to keep these.

By no major means am I going to try to get this fj40 back to original state. That would be a nigh impossible task.....or at the very least a very expensive task. Not that I have it posted yet but the tub is mostly a later year donor.

Early bibs have the rounded headlight bezel. 1979 and later bibs have the squared bezels. It's your 40, run what you want or like.

Early bibs have the rounded headlight bezel. 1979 and later bibs have the squared bezels. It's your 40, run what you want or like.

I did notice the bezel wasn't rounded, but what I didn't know what the bib was different for each. Is the mounting holes different? Or is it possible to get the year specific round bezel and screw it onto what I currently have?

I believe the 2 different bezels have a different bolt pattern. The aprons above fenders are correct, I believe the split hood with the spear is 1970 or earlier.

Also I grabbed some more photos. Let the witch hunt begin friends.

B85CA28D-B30E-4515-BCE4-C5A55A280EA7.jpeg

365583F5-3172-4527-822E-C8284937A4B9.jpeg

CBF38E5D-8A3E-45B2-A678-FB381A1CF609.jpeg

FA1ED28B-4EAE-4ACB-849E-242A854583D5.jpeg

32958490-670A-41F8-BECA-9F4005B3C5D0.jpeg

As you can see from the last two photos I got the bumperettes on AND got the correct year taillights bought, wired, and mounted. (I wasn’t a fond of the trailer lights that were brutally put into the body)

I believe the 2 different bezels have a different bolt pattern. The aprons above fenders are correct, I believe the split hood is 1970 or earlier.
The driver side apron is correct, but the passenger is a later year. The split hood is indeed an older one, but honestly I quite like it.

Fix a few holes and enjoy it. Every cruiser is different and very few are truly bone stock no matter what their owners say. Mine is kind of a Frankenstein too but I really don't care. I built it for me and not to impress the overly critical purist contingent. 😛

Fix a few holes and enjoy it. Every cruiser is different and very few are truly bone stock no matter what their owners say. Mine is kind of a Frankenstein too but I really don't care. I built it for me and not to impress the overly critical purist contingent. 😛
Actually got a little lucky in that regard. The purchase came with a set of new quarter panels! Downside they are a direct replacement for the incorrect year tub. So I maaaay have to adjust the area by the gas cap. No need for a gas door. Also the sale came with an additional 4 speed transmission, two back half doors, two tire carriers, and some misc stuff.

I'm doing the same as cruiserkev with my street 40. They're are certain things I like from the various yrs of 40's. I'm creating a look that I like.

I'm doing the same as cruiserkev with my street 40. They're are certain things I like from the various yrs of 40's. I'm creating a look that I like.
Y'all seem to have the right idea. Not to mention from what I've seen even if I don't do full restoration if I sold it eventually down the road it still holds value.

I also have a multi year 40. I'm building it to be functional not original. If there are stock parts available I'll use them but not at any loss of functionality. As many have said build it to suit you and what you want the 40 to become... but most importantly have fun and enjoy the truck for what it does.

I recommend a new plate instead of fixing the rust....that is just too close to Jeep

1587436411154.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom