Builds FJ80 2UZFE Tundra V8 Conversion pics and build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Bryan, what's the status on the Tundra V8 80?

Hope the nicer weather is treating you well.

Lets bring this to the top for an update!:grinpimp:

Any activity?

Sorry for no update, I have new pics and details I will post up this week. I have been busy with work and I got a little sidetracked with a Lexus 1UZFE 4.0 that I am stuffing in my 4runner but I have been chipping away at the fj80 too.

the engine is mounted and sitting in the 80 now (who woulda thunk that Tundra motor mounts bolt right up to a mini trucks 22r frame mounts!!!!) that made making the frame rail mounts easy. and the wiring is sorted out and I threw out about 80% of what you see in the above photos of the wire harness. thew tundra rubber boot on the wiring harness where it passes through the fire wall was a square shaped boot and reqiured 2 bolts to hold it in, I found that the Lexus 1UZFE uses a round boot that fits in the 80s firewall (will post up pics) and it looks like Mr."t" himself made it like that from The get go.

I didnt forget about the build I just got a little attention deficit disorder and was given a running LS400 with a great shape V8 that was begging to go into a 4 wheel drive for the remainder of its life, so I am back now- I will post pics of the build of the lexus V8 4runner in the trucks section for your veiwing pleasure.

Nice work keep us fed with lots of pics!

Rumor has it the Tundras were breaking rear ends therefore stopping sales on the TRD S/C, but thats about it just rumors. I have also heard that it is a fueling issue as well, I have never found anything to confirm or deny these rumors... any of you?

nice build up .. I'm pretty sure rumors or not .. SC goes on ! :D

I'm in the process of putting together my "parts list" for a 1UZFE swap into my 92 FJ80 and am very interested in following this thread. Thanks for taking the time to document this... Hopefully I'll be able to do the same when the time comes to do the swap. I may be picking your brain a lot in the next year or so! :D

so the HP figure will be like this-

Stock 3FE-155HP, 220FTLB

Stock 4.7-245HP, 315FTLB

TRD S/C 4.7-340HP, 457FTLB! I wish there were a drooling smiley.......

Horsepower...155(3FE) to 340 final (4.7)
Torque..........220(3FE) to *gulp* 457! (4.7)

Rumor has it the Tundras were breaking rear ends therefore stopping sales on the TRD S/C, but thats about it just rumors. I have also heard that it is a fueling issue as well, I have never found anything to confirm or deny these rumors... any of you?

===.===

http://tinyurl.com/ypt8pz

http://tinyurl.com/2yrfxt

Not rear ends - it's the Connecting Rods...:flipoff2:

The rods are Powder Forged 'Tooth-Picks' - before you Supercharge the engine - trade out the rods for a set of Forged Rods - without bolts $600.00 - add $150.00 ARP 2000 bolts -.

The engine failures were costing Toyota hugely - .

The Connecting Rods are the weak point of 2 UZ FE engines.

Above 9lbs. Boost - swap in Forged Pistons - but do get rid of the Factory Connecting Rods.

Research 'n install a nice Methanol Injection / Spray system - cuts in when Boost goes up
to cool things out - nice system 'n good insurance.

Put me down for a Wire Schematic Diagram -

I'll be putting a 2UZ into an American Motors Gremlin in front of a 2004 LS430 6spd. Automatic I've
in storage.

Last edited:
so the HP figure will be like this-

Stock 3FE-155HP, 220FTLB

Stock 4.7-245HP, 315FTLB

TRD S/C 4.7-340HP, 457FTLB! I wish there were a drooling smiley.......

Horsepower...155(3FE) to 340 final (4.7)
Torque..........220(3FE) to *gulp* 457! (4.7)

===.===

http://tinyurl.com/ypt8pz

http://tinyurl.com/2yrfxt

Not rear ends - it's the Connecting Rods...:flipoff2:

The rods are Powder Forged 'Tooth-Picks' - before you Supercharge the engine - trade out the rods for a set of Forged Rods - without bolts $600.00 - add $150.00 ARP 2000 bolts -.

The engine failures were costing Toyota hugely - .

The Connecting Rods are the weak point of 2 UZ FE engines.

Above 9lbs. Boost - swap in Forged Pistons - but do get rid of the Factory Connecting Rods.

Research 'n install a nice Methanol Injection / Spray system - cuts in when Boost goes up
to cool things out - nice system 'n good insurance.

Put me down for a Wire Schematic Diagram -

I'll be putting a 2UZ into an American Motors Gremlin in front of a 2004 LS430 6spd. Automatic I've
in storage.

Wow a 2UZin a Gremlim? that gives new meaning to All Motors Corporation.

Yeah........ [GRIN]...... I Like 'em!

The car is 'actually' a 1981 AMC EAGLE Kammback series50 -
which is a 1977'78 AMC GREMLIN shell - with full rear side
- windows -ala- their 'Spirit' Sedan - the new name for the
'79 - '82 GREMLIN for these years.

The Kammback has 4WD and the 258cu.in. inline 6 - all of which will
get 'stored' - saving some 1k lbs. weight.

I located a '71 Gremlin 'Fun in the Sun' sliding sunroof clip made in England by
'Britax' - sourced by AMC - in *Mint* shape.

Building an AMC 360 would cost alone for a Hyd. Roller Cam Kit - $1,250.00
before upgrading cast rods 'n pistons - new valve seals - etc.

AMC 360 weighs 540 lbs. dry

Toyota 4.7 weighs 540 lbs. wet - oil / coolant

DOHC 32 valve alloy VVT-i head 271 HP vs 2 valve all cast iron 170 HP -
not much to choose from ;)

mini Truck 22R mounts might work with this install - hope the new Pix has some detail -
1982AMCEagleKammbackwithalloywheels.jpg

Yes!

Just fired for the 1st time today. The motor ran great and sounds awesome. We didn't run it too long since the tranny was low on fluid and we are waiting on some parts, but overall I was very happy. Hopefully Tuesday I will have a short video clip of the motor running.

Ryan.

Here is your first reminder ;)

DSC00001.JPG

Thanks Ryan.

Isn't That BEAUTIFUL ~~!

A Factory 'Blown' Fuel Injected Quad Cammed 285!

It doesn't get any better Folks!

Lots of .wav files Please - I've got to hear this one in all her 'moods' ;)

A little off topic------ My first car was a '73 GremlinX with a 401 from my dad's wrecked Cherokee and a 4 speed. It was a 304 3 speed to begin with and after my dad got hit in the Cherokee when I was 13 (1980), he bought the Gremlin from a buddy to drive until the new models came out and then we pieced together a drive train for the 401. A T-10 came out of a Javelin and we put a ford 9 inch with 3.55's in it after I blew up the stock rear end (with 2.83's IIRC).

It was a very spirited car and looked great, baby blue with the Levi's interior. Definitely one of the top 5 of cars I wish I still had.

Dave

I know that Color - recently one for Sale on the New Jersey Shore - a '78 GT .

401 dress'd weight is over 700 lbs. -

Randall American crafted a 401 Gremlin:

Randall XR
In 1972 Randall AMC of Mesa Arizona was already know as a Performance AMC Dealer when they sought endorsement of a 401 Gremlin project from American Motors ...
www.gremlinx.com/RandallXR.htm

If you run across a nice rust free Gremlin out your way - Save It !

Most ended their lives gutted on Dirt Track Racer Chassis - they are becoming scarce.

If you run across a nice rust free Gremlin out your way - Save It !

I have my eye on a Hornet S/C 360 that has been sitting in a back yard for a while. My wife found it. She is a meter reader for the gas company. I doubt there is any action on it as it was hard for her to see and she was in the back yard. It seems like the house is a second home as I've never gotten anyone to answer the door and my wife says that the gas usage would reflect only pilots running.

I have my eye on a Hornet S/C 360 that has been sitting in a back yard for a while. My wife found it. She is a meter reader for the gas company. I doubt there is any action on it as it was hard for her to see and she was in the back yard. It seems like the house is a second home as I've never gotten anyone to answer the door and my wife says that the gas usage would reflect only pilots running.

The gas bills have to be going somewhere?

The gas bills have to be going somewhere?

I have all the info I need. I went down to the County and found the owner of the property. I'd rather happen to "bump" into them when they are around. I go past the place a couple times a day as it is on my way to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom