Builds FJ80 2UZFE Tundra V8 Conversion pics and build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure why you are going that route. This is a lot easier :D
47swap.jpg

first pic is a side veiw showing the nice fit and the second pic is where I mentioned earlier about the difference in the firewall being setup for an I-6 and not an V-8, not too big of a deal - definately nothing to worry about or change.

That recess in the firewall was made for the distributor on a SBC. Get this thing going already, I am ready for a soundclip.

Not sure why you are going that route. This is a lot easier :D

Which part is easier, the forklift cherry picker, not worrying about scratching the paint or not having AC ;) I guess no windsheild is the AC .;)
84-88 body style?
I actually spoke to you about 1.5 yrs ago about this project and at the time you guys had just sidelined the idea in an 80, is this the same motor?

That recess in the firewall was made for the distributor on a SBC. Get this thing going already, I am ready for a soundclip.

yeah I know what you mean about the distrubitor.... I thought long and hard about it but the Tundra idea came to light when I found this drivetrain and harness/computer with 13000 miles on it.
I couldnt resist doing an all Toy. parts conversion - that way when offroad I dont have to hear "it only goes good 'cause you put a chevy in it" comments all day long from the locals......

Dont get me wrong GM crate motors F'n rock- if I were to build anything else it would be with a GM ZZ something

Last edited:
Frame mounts welded to set motor into frame

Motor mounts welded into the frame, will add pics to this post later this weekend. motor is now resting into the frame on its own.

Now with the air supply.
I can use the factory 80 tuna can air cleaner and route it slightly different than the 1FZFE with a simple turning of the top of the air cleaner ductwork going to the intake, but I am not sure if this will supply sufficiant air to the engine or not (4.7vs4.5)
I am hoping some of you "tuner" type guys can chime in here on if the factory 80 setup can flow enough air for a .2 larger engine (not being too anal about this but I want to be sure) I plan on adding a supercharger to this later (when one is tracked down for the 02).

It would be nice to keep an OEM appearance in most respects (I dont want to have a tuner car type intake hoses/air cleaner with flashy hoses and fabbed up stainless steel parts. The Tundra air cleaner wont bolt in without some mods (can be done)

Robbie bored his 1FZ-FE to 4.7L and I believe he is running the stock air filter system.

-B-

the real issue with air flow is the MAF sensor. Compare the 80 series to the 100/Tundra unit and you'll see what I'm talking about.

What you need ia a housing that will bolt up to the 80 series filter and except the newer MAF sensor. :rolleyes:

update..... and no pics yet either

Okay so here is the scoop, I picked up a used air Cleaner/box/hoses from an 02 Tundra (thanks dave) on Tundrasolutions forum.

The Tundra (4.7) airbox mounts about where my battery would go (92 FJ80, batt. passenger side) and the Tundra harness uses a left side battery location (driver side batt. 93-97 FZJ) so not alot of fab. work to use a battery on the drivers side and the Tundra air box other than some mounts for the air cleaner/box and route a new/fabbed hose to the snorkel from the air box (it is not much difference, just a different angle to the new hose) and the battery box from a 93-97.

Not much room to do dual batteries but then again I wont need to...... the Tundra has a 130 amp alternator:flipoff2:

BJowett is working on making one work with an 93-97 1FZFE
heres a link for you cylindrically challenged 80 owners:doh: who want to bug him about finishing it.... read through to the second page.
130 amp alt. upgrade

I still need a MAF sensor for the Tundra, I didnt get one with the air box.

I should have this running:) .....not driving:frown: in a few more days. The wiring is all labeled and ready to cut away what I will not be using and then begin to do just the opposite unwiring of the 80s wiring harness to remove all portions of the engine running systems and to mark things like oil pressure, tach (a convertor will need to be put inline for the signal to be correct to use the factory 80 tach) Temp..... I could go on and on- you get the point.

Premature update.... I finally found a TRD Supercharger (discontinued) for the 02 2UZFE!!!!!!
The owner of the S/C is trading his truck in and they wont give him any more money for it with or without so I am buying it from him.

I had planned on doing one of these and had one hell of a time trying to track one down (I feel like a kid on christmas eve!!):bounce:

so the HP figure will be like this-

Stock 3FE-155HP, 220FTLB

Stock 4.7-245HP, 315FTLB

TRD S/C 4.7-340HP, 457FTLB! I wish there were a drooling smiley.......

Horsepower...155(3FE) to 340 final (4.7)
Torque..........220(3FE) to *gulp* 457! (4.7)

Rumor has it the Tundras were breaking rear ends therefore stopping sales on the TRD S/C, but thats about it just rumors. I have also heard that it is a fueling issue as well, I have never found anything to confirm or deny these rumors... any of you?

I think they maybe available for the Landcruiser 4.7 (?) but I dont know.

I wont be installing this until the motor is running and oil/tach/temp gauges are up and going so I have one less thing to trouble shoot.

damn I am excited!!!

Now back to our normally scheduled build......

Last edited:
I have also heard that it is a fueling issue as well,

My father's Tundra is SC'd and it runs fine on regular. A guy at TRD told him it would be no problem to use and that was 4 years ago. He uses the truck to tow a 27' fifth wheel travel trailer.

He still has all the documentation and if you would like a copy for installing the SC let me know.

LandTank,

I know that this is an older thread, but I would love to see a copy of the Supercharger installation manual.

Ryan.

its not that old of a thread!! yes Landtank that would be great if I could get a cory of the installation instructions... you can email it to
extremetoy1@ yahoodotcom, thank you for offering.

no updates yet (new pics) I will try and get these on in the next few days- Spring cleaning the shop right now so I am a litle behind in posting up the current pics (engine is now set in and located in the engine compartment, doing wiring:crybaby: )

Here is your first reminder ;)

DSC00001.JPG

Thanks Ryan.

I'll have to get it from my father and get it scanned and PDF'd. Remind me regularly as I have a few projects in the works and this would most likely get moved to the off burner by mistake.

Wiring harness question

I see in the pic that you have the engine harness but not the other part. Do you have it? If so where did you get it? The one I'am talking about is the in-cab harness with the relays and power supply.

attachment.php

Thanks, James

Here is your first reminder ;)

is that the 2uz that you did the swap with? nice and clean, I hope my SCed V8 looks like that when done.

I love to see that these V8s are being utilized in swaps other than the typical 350 or 302, with the recent flood of good of Toyotas V8 at scrap yards and wrecked for sale , (1UZFE lexus- Toyota soarer/crown V8, 2UZFE-Tundra, late model LC100, 4Runner and the new V8 in the Tundra) it was about time people started to get creative with Toy. V8s, I am itching to see what the new Tundra 8 can be swapped into.

FWIW here is a link to a 1200 HP 2UZFE that uses the 4.0 (1UZFE) heads, crank and the 1UZs stock forged rods.
1200hp 2uzfeV8

*B*

I see in the pic that you have the engine harness but not the other part. Do you have it? If so where did you get it? The one I'am talking about is the in-cab harness with the relays and power supply.

Thanks, James

that is the entire harnes out of the Tundra, the incab portion is on the table and the silver box in the lower right hand side is the computer- 2 plugs from the engine go into it inside the firewall- sorting it all all now.

*B*

good timing Ryan, I indeed had forgotten about it but am driving right by parents tomorrow on the way home. I'll try and remember tomorrow to stop by and get the document.

I will PM you my email address to send it there, Thank you.:cheers:

*B*

Ryan did you rig the tundra motor with an lx470 harness/ecu or was the tundra ecu able to control the lx470 tranny?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom