FJ62 Restomod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it's been a almost 2 years since I started with this cruiser, but I thought it's about time to get around to posting some pics - because we all love that! I've always been a landcruiser fan ever since my dad came home with a nice FJ40 when I was a little kid, and since then have grown up owning a number of old, beat up FJ40's. Then I discovered the wagons and it was all downhill from there (according to my wife). My last FJ62 ended up not being exactly what I wanted so the search was on for something I could do an engine swap with, and all the other mods I enjoy in my vehicles.

Recalling how much I loved my old FJ40 with a 350, I really wanted something along the same lines. It was at this point I made the mistake of learning more about Torfab and all the great things they do. Being in western Canada they're relatively close, and I go to Seattle/Vancouver fairly often so it was easy to stop by the place I had only been ordering the odd part from up until then. As soon as I met Tor and he showed me around I was hooked and knew that was where I wanted to get my cruiser all done up.

I was also fortunate that Tor was able to help me source a nice donor vehicle for what I wanted done, and then we were all set to begin!

MbZwIwX.jpg

From there Tor was able to get all the following done:

- 5.3L Vortec conversion, around 40k miles on the new engine
- H55F 5 speed manual - brand new unit installed
- OME suspension - leafs, springs, shackles, all the fun stuff
- pulled out the interior and put sound deadening in the floors and doors, reinstalled brand new carpeting throughout
- BMW front seats
- Speedhut guages - in kms for us Canucks
- new 33" wheels and Duratracs
- new Tuffy centre console - only annoying thing with this is you have to always use the key to lock/unlock and it always stays locked
- rebuilt the transfer case, knuckles, new brake components, new exhaust

Here it is in Tor's shop:

xBMxhOF.jpg

KFwtU61.jpg

Once it was done my daughter and I made the trip down to Seattle and drove her back up to Calgary. We ended up getting caught in a huge snowstorm that shut down large parts of Seattle (this was around Feb 2019) but the truck drove like a dream and we had no issues going through the pass and back up across the border.

Once we got home I drove it as is for the next while, but the plan was always to finish up with some new paint and a few more cosmetic items to really spruce up the look. I took all the bumpers, racks, LED lights, mirrors and 4Runner wipers from my old FJ62 and transferred them over to the new one. We enjoyed it like this until recently.

7jC0O4g.jpg

UMa77z7.jpg

E7t6aRh.jpg

mSIlIpX.jpg

At this point I was ready to have it repainted. I like white, but I already have 3 other white vehicles so I wanted something a little different. I also wanted it to sit a little differently so I changed out to some different shackles, as well as added a leaf to better support the weight. Then I added some SCS F5's, some trim parts from Trail Tailor and 34" Yokohoma's. Then it was off to paint:

czD3yS0.jpg

Rd1vr2V.jpg

mSh19fd.jpg

I was super happy with how it turned out! I really like the color and how it looks, add in how amazing it drives and I just love this thing. I can't go anywhere without people checking it out and asking about it, and I look forward to many more years of enjoyment with this thing. My kids love it too, and my oldest daughter continually asks when she gets to have it - I let her drive it on occasion as she thinks it's about her favorite thing to drive.

kscTnnR.jpg

bN3PKE6.jpg

Shout out to Tor and his crew for doing an awesome job on putting this thing together for me. I'll have to hit you up again if I get that FJ40 (don't tell my wife I even considered this haha). More pics to come as we continue to drive this thing around :D

Absolutely beautiful 62. Sure wish I had the time and budget to do that with mine. If I could afford to have mine professionally painted with the necessary body work, I would love to go with a late 80s vintage Toyota stripe on gray paint. I really dig the color you went with though. Seems a really appropriate color and shade for a 60 series body.

I tried doing body and paint on my previous cruiser. Turns out a good shop is in business for a reason, and I found out fast I wasn’t very good at it lol. I decided since I didn’t have the time available that I’d bite the bullet and pay a good shop to do it for me.

Turned out great in the end, although I wish I had been able to do it myself or contribute a bit experience dictated it wasn’t part of my skill set for body and paint.

nice build. Can you take a pic of the cover they used to block the hole in the firewall left by the original ECU wiring? Looks like a nice piece. @torfab ?

I tried doing body and paint on my previous cruiser. Turns out a good shop is in business for a reason, and I found out fast I wasn’t very good at it lol. I decided since I didn’t have the time available that I’d bite the bullet and pay a good shop to do it for me.

Turned out great in the end, although I wish I had been able to do it myself or contribute a bit experience dictated it wasn’t part of my skill set for body and paint.
Mind me asking.. what did you run into trouble with doing the body and paint. My 1990 FJ62 is in decent shape, but the overall paint is worn and terrible. But, numerous small rust spots, none look deep. I was going to spot treat all of them and basically wire brush, sand to bare metal, rust reformer, sand some more, etch primer, maybe lightly sand some more. Nothing major, but if necessary, try a little finishing bondo filler if anything deeper? Wondering if I'm going to come to the same (painful?) conclusion you did.... lol

Nice rig.. I like that color. I'll probably keep mine stock white.

Mind me asking.. what did you run into trouble with doing the body and paint. My 1990 FJ62 is in decent shape, but the overall paint is worn and terrible. But, numerous small rust spots, none look deep. I was going to spot treat all of them and basically wire brush, sand to bare metal, rust reformer, sand some more, etch primer, maybe lightly sand some more. Nothing major, but if necessary, try a little finishing bondo filler if anything deeper? Wondering if I'm going to come to the same (painful?) conclusion you did.... lol

Nice rig.. I like that color. I'll probably keep mine stock white.
The sanding part wasn't bad (just lots of work) but I found that any sort of bondo or filler work was like doing drywall and mudding at home - if it's not something you do you find out pretty fast that there's a bit of an art to it. Gave me a better appreciation for the guys that do this sort of thing and are good at it that's for sure. Like anything else the more time you can put in on it the better you get. Unfortunately I just didn't have the time available to get really good at it - plus my original cruiser had a little more work needed than I had originally thought would be required.

I was more than happy to find a good shop and let them do the work on my second cruiser. Sure it cost me, but they did such a better job than I could hope to do that it was worth it for me.

So it's been a almost 2 years since I started with this cruiser, but I thought it's about time to get around to posting some pics - because we all love that! I've always been a landcruiser fan ever since my dad came home with a nice FJ40 when I was a little kid, and since then have grown up owning a number of old, beat up FJ40's. Then I discovered the wagons and it was all downhill from there (according to my wife). My last FJ62 ended up not being exactly what I wanted so the search was on for something I could do an engine swap with, and all the other mods I enjoy in my vehicles.

Recalling how much I loved my old FJ40 with a 350, I really wanted something along the same lines. It was at this point I made the mistake of learning more about Torfab and all the great things they do. Being in western Canada they're relatively close, and I go to Seattle/Vancouver fairly often so it was easy to stop by the place I had only been ordering the odd part from up until then. As soon as I met Tor and he showed me around I was hooked and knew that was where I wanted to get my cruiser all done up.

I was also fortunate that Tor was able to help me source a nice donor vehicle for what I wanted done, and then we were all set to begin!

MbZwIwX.jpg

From there Tor was able to get all the following done:

- 5.3L Vortec conversion, around 40k miles on the new engine
- H55F 5 speed manual - brand new unit installed
- OME suspension - leafs, springs, shackles, all the fun stuff
- pulled out the interior and put sound deadening in the floors and doors, reinstalled brand new carpeting throughout
- BMW front seats
- Speedhut guages - in kms for us Canucks
- new 33" wheels and Duratracs
- new Tuffy centre console - only annoying thing with this is you have to always use the key to lock/unlock and it always stays locked
- rebuilt the transfer case, knuckles, new brake components, new exhaust

Here it is in Tor's shop:

xBMxhOF.jpg

KFwtU61.jpg

Once it was done my daughter and I made the trip down to Seattle and drove her back up to Calgary. We ended up getting caught in a huge snowstorm that shut down large parts of Seattle (this was around Feb 2019) but the truck drove like a dream and we had no issues going through the pass and back up across the border.

Once we got home I drove it as is for the next while, but the plan was always to finish up with some new paint and a few more cosmetic items to really spruce up the look. I took all the bumpers, racks, LED lights, mirrors and 4Runner wipers from my old FJ62 and transferred them over to the new one. We enjoyed it like this until recently.

7jC0O4g.jpg

UMa77z7.jpg

E7t6aRh.jpg

mSIlIpX.jpg

At this point I was ready to have it repainted. I like white, but I already have 3 other white vehicles so I wanted something a little different. I also wanted it to sit a little differently so I changed out to some different shackles, as well as added a leaf to better support the weight. Then I added some SCS F5's, some trim parts from Trail Tailor and 34" Yokohoma's. Then it was off to paint:

czD3yS0.jpg

Rd1vr2V.jpg

mSh19fd.jpg

I was super happy with how it turned out! I really like the color and how it looks, add in how amazing it drives and I just love this thing. I can't go anywhere without people checking it out and asking about it, and I look forward to many more years of enjoyment with this thing. My kids love it too, and my oldest daughter continually asks when she gets to have it - I let her drive it on occasion as she thinks it's about her favorite thing to drive.

kscTnnR.jpg

bN3PKE6.jpg

Shout out to Tor and his crew for doing an awesome job on putting this thing together for me. I'll have to hit you up again if I get that FJ40 (don't tell my wife I even considered this haha). More pics to come as we continue to drive this thing around :D
Do you have the paint code on the green. I am in love with the look.

Such a unique color and one of the better color swap choices I've seen to date - reminds me of my neighbors FJ40 back in the early 80s. Nice detail on the gauge bezels, always the little aspects of a build that put things together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom