FJ62 3fe to 2F swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m attempting to do the exact opposite of what everyone else normally does. Instead of converting a FJ60 to an EFI 2FE or 3FE, I’m converting my FJ62 to 2F. My FJ62 is already H42 swapped and I have a recently rebuilt 2F longblock. Converting my 3fe to carb isn’t an option and my EFI is toast. I have a guy that’s willing to trade my EFI setup and 3fe head for an fj60 carb setup and whatever else I need off a parts truck. He’s going to use it to convert his 2F to megasquirt 2FE.
I need to know what I need off of his 60 parts truck before I go over there.

There isn’t a whole lot of information on this so I was hoping I could get some insight.

-will I need to swap my FJ62 dash harness for a FJ60 dash harness?

-can I use my 3fe accessories on my 2F? I don’t have a smog pump or AC compressor on my 3fe.

-is it just the throttle cables that are different or is it the whole gas pedal assembly that is different?

-Can I use my FJ62 igniter?

No need to swap dash harnesses.

Gas pedals are different.

2F carb is rod and linkage controlled as opposed to throttle cable for 3FE. Need to wire in the fuel cut solenoid on the carb.

You'll need the choke cable.

Distributors and igniters are different, plus the need to rewire for the 2F distributor.

2F intake and exhaust and running some new exhaust pipe. Add in the 2F air filter housing.

I'm sure there are more details that I'm forgetting. This will be a lot of work for little to no gain.

Sort out the EFI issues, throw the 2F block under the 3FE head and have a 2FE.

No need to swap dash harnesses.

Gas pedals are different.

2F carb is rod and linkage controlled as opposed to throttle cable for 3FE. Need to wire in the fuel cut solenoid on the carb.

You'll need the choke cable.

Distributors and igniters are different, plus the need to rewire for the 2F distributor.

2F intake and exhaust and running some new exhaust pipe. Add in the 2F air filter housing.

I'm sure there are more details that I'm forgetting. This will be a lot of work for little to no gain.

Sort out the EFI issues, throw the 2F block under the 3FE head and have a 2FE.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve had a lot of issues with the EFI unfortunately. When I rebuilt the 3fe last year I went through the harness and re wrapped it but a lot of the connectors were broken. It probably needs a good used harness and more new sensors and AFM. I could never get it to idle right. Even new o2 sensors, IAC, fuel dampers, and throttle position sensor and many hours with a timing light. I’ve hunted for any possible vacuum leaks to no avail. My 3fe is completely desmogged so that could be affecting it.
On top of that there’s a crack in the block.

I’m more confident in my ability to tune a carb than deal with this efi. I’m getting cash plus everything I need to convert to carb in exchange for my efi setup.

I’m not a huge fan of the F engine to begin with, and I plan on building an LQ4 and nv4500 for it over this winter. In the meantime, I’d like to have a driveable rig

For all the work of going to a 2F it seems more practical, and easier, to just do a domestic V8 swap.

For all the work of going to a 2F it seems more practical, and easier, to just do a domestic V8 swap.

Well, yes, but a domestic V8 swap, even just a SBC, halfassed, and ghetto rigged would be pretty expensive. $700 adapter (or different rear axle) plus the engine, plus gaskets, and exhaust and lots of fab work. I’m going to make money or break even on the 2F swap. I love my 62 and it’s a rust free clean truck. I’d like to drive it this fall for as cheap as possible. Time isn’t an issue, money is. Im a broke b/tch. Probably too broke for the landcruiser life.
After I come back from deployment, I plan on doing an LS swap but I don’t currently have the money or place to do it the right way. (Refreshed LQ4, NV4500, NP203, Dana axles under Chevy 63s)
I bought the 2F for $300 from a guy who didn’t know what he had.

Last edited:
I’d like to drive it this fall

That's an extremely optimistic outlook. I don't think a swap like this could get done before New Years if you started tomorrow. There's endless nit picking details that will consume the project and put it on seemingly endless delays as stuff needs to get fabbed or crucial components need to get found.

It will be an immense undertaking and you'll end up after the Herculean effort with a vehicle that's not particularly fun to drive.

My suggestion: reassess the plan at root level. Shoe horning a 2F into a 62 is going backwards and it's my opinion that you'll regret it if it ever sees the light of day. I say trash the idea and wait until you can do the LQ4 transplant.

So, like I said previously I can take ANYTHING I need off a parts 60 as long as I give the guy my 62 parts.
My 62 is my only vehicle. An backasswards carbd 62 is better than a broken ass 62 sitting in a garage.

Lol. Bet. Thanks for the encoragement but, I’m not being optimistic. I’ll post pics when/if I finish and we’ll see if you’re right or wrong.

Last edited:
I know you're not looking for that kind of feedback, but it's my honest opinion. What good is it if 100 people say "go for it" just to pile on? Consider it as a conscientious "warning" that the project is immense and likely won't be satisfying in the end. Of course it's doable and possible - but man, it'll be a ton of work going down a path that -nobody- has traveled before... for good reason.

I know you're not looking for that kind of feedback, but it's my honest opinion. What good is it if 100 people say "go for it" just to pile on? Consider it as a conscientious "warning" that the project is immense and likely won't be satisfying in the end. Of course it's doable and possible - but man, it'll be a ton of work going down a path that -nobody- has traveled before... for good reason.

I appreciate your honest opinion. You’re right, it’s gonna be difficult. It’s going to be just as slow as any FJ60 on 35’s. It does have an H42 4 speed and gears so that’ll help.
I have time and experience, Im missing money to really do it right. Lol. I took 7 days off starting Thursday and I have good friends and ample beer stocks, so we’ll see how far I get. The engine that’s in the truck is already torn down to the short block.

I’ll keep you guys updated and let you know what problems I run into.

Ideally tow the parts truck to your place and have both vehicles side by side. Aim to LITERALLY take 500 photos of everything as you pull it apart.

Assuming the doner vehicle is complete you could do the swap in a couple of weeks.

What will catch you out is any missing/broken parts. Fault finding after a major swap is difficult as it could literally be anything. That said a 2F is a pretty simple engine so providing it has spark and fuel it should run.

Good luck and I was serious about 500+ photos.

Well the 3fe, efi harness, gas pedal assembly and fuel tank is out. I also pulled the fenders, core support, and good to make the swap easier.
Tomorrow I’m getting up early and pulling the cowl harness. After a bit of research,it looks like the FJ60 cowl harness will be less of a headache. I already have crank windows swapped In too so, getting power windows and locks to work won’t be an issue.

Wasn’t too hard to disassemble everything today. Putting it back together is always more difficult.
If I can have the 2F and FJ60 cowl harness in by Monday I’ll be happy.

63B351FB-5CB0-4E14-AE60-01A7DF920BFC.jpeg

I pulled the harnesses out of my FJ62 and the donor FJ60. I left all of the modules on both harnesses. Most of the plugs are exactly the same, however, the FJ60 rear defroster and wiper switches are a different size than the ones in the FJ62 and it seems to be wired differently. So I’m going to swap in an FJ60 dash and tail light harness. (I wanted to do this anyway because I have crank windows swapped in. ) I’m also going to rewire the headlight plugs.

Luckily, the dash on the parts 60 is in awesome shape and my 62 dash is cracked so I’m just going to swap dashes too.

I actually ended up making $300 off of my EFI and getting a clean dash. Not too bad.

Also picked up
-FJ60 fuel tank
-fj60 dizzy and ignited
-good Webber carb with rebuild kit
-desmogged intake.
-a rusty but supposedly leak tee set of 2F TRI MIL headers
-low mileage mechanical fuel pump with brand new spacer
-intake gasket
-fj60 pedal assembly and linkage
-a complete FJ60 cowl harness with modules
-FJ40 oil filter housing
(this will be nice. My cooling system will only have 2 hoses going back to the front heater since I already deleted the rear heater and piping. Although I may add a fluid riser later.)

Also got a picture of the FJ62 cowl harness and FJ60 cowl harness side by side for research purposes.

I’m gonna have fun putting it back together, but I’ll end up with a super simple truck, which is exactly what I wanted.
Basically I should have just bought an FJ60 in the first place, but , fk it.
9AE2088C-4D8A-42F1-8A04-8B5DB475B908.jpeg

2A5F8803-DE35-4E88-A0E8-0145A2DFAFEB.jpeg

Last edited:
I missed it above, are you keeping the auto or going manual?
if auto, any idea how you are going to hook up the auto kick down?

Figured Swap my red oil pan and timing cover from my old 3Fe to the 2F and change the gaskets in the process.

59A1330D-7EB8-448D-877C-8AC780DA2F3C.jpeg

3A8ECD92-8FCD-4AC8-A42A-99BED907C8D2.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been flying a lot so I haven’t had a whole lot of time to work on the cruiser but I do have a couple updates and through trial and error Ive also learned some more about what is actually needed to do this swap *CORRECTLY*

not only are you going to need the parts listed previously, But you’ll also need off your donor 60
-FJ60 ignition switch
-top half of the FJ60 steering column (because the FJ62 ignition switch is a bigger diameter)
-FJ60 HVAC wiring harness and amplifier

Also some things to think about.
- if you’re going to run your 3fe alternator like I am, you’re going to have to extend the wires and also change the connector because it’s mounted on the opposite side.
Also the windshield washer pump connector and wiper motor connector are different.
-I sourced the alternator connector pigtail online and the washer and wiper motor connectors from the junkyard.
I still need to solder these into my 60 cowl harness.

Basically, you’re gonna need a lot of $h1t from a 60 so the only way to do this properly is if you have access to a donor 60.

I see it’s too late but i think you could have made a custom intake for the 3fe engine and run a carb without a lot of work. And a custom intake wouldn’t have been that hard to do.

I see it’s too late but i think you could have made a custom intake for the 3fe engine and run a carb without a lot of work. And a custom intake wouldn’t have been that hard to do.

I probably could have just bolted the carb manifold onto the 3fe head but I wouldn’t have the extra torque from the 2F bottom end. I got the 2F for really cheap and my buddy with an FJ80 is going to be using my 3fe bottom end so, going with the 2F and basically doing a complete FJ60 conversion made sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom