FJ60 fuel tank recall question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there Mud,

I have a 1985 fj60 I'm slowly getting back on the road.
Short story is... it was parked in a garage 13 years ago or so shortly after having the engine rebuilt.
There it sat ever since. Doing plugs, wires, carb rebuild by Mark, new filters and fluids.
Drained the fuel tank and the gas(8 gallons) smelled varnish like but no sludge of any sort drained out.
Yet to drop the tank to inspect and clean. I plan on blowing out the fuel lines when I do.

I researched the fuel tank recall on here and plan on calling the dealership and or TOA tomorrow. Just now when I searched the vehicles vin number on the toyota recall site it came up with, "There are no open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for this vehicle." The previous owner bought the FJ60 from the oringal owner in 87. There are no recall service stickers anywhere to be found in the engine bay.

Is it possible that the recall could have been done in the 2 years prior to the previous owner? I may have missed this info in my research but when was the recall put out there? Wouldnt the Toyota site state if the recall was done? I'm hoping to find the answers from Toyota but thought it was worth while asking the community.

Thanks,
Jason

Probably done already. Mine isn't noted on a carfax report but shows its not open for a tank on the recall list as well. It does show that the seatbelts are still open to get replaced. Call a dealership tho and see. My issue with the dealership is that my vin never comes up for them.

When I reference my vin on the Toyota website, it says no recall is available.

Is that an indicator that my tank has been done since its a late 87?

When I reference my vin on the Toyota website, it says no recall is available.

Is that an indicator that my tank has been done since its a late 87?
My guess is that is an affirmative. I found it in my carfax that it was a recall noted for my truck but does not show it avail like it does the seatbelts.

I had to search further than the basic recall list to another site that is linked on the page. This is what I printed out for the seat belts.

IMG_3107.JPG

I 'believe' that because it shows date received, that it's been serviced.
The recall was first initiated from what I can read between July 20, 1990 thru Oct 12, 1990.

image.jpg

That's why I question if mine has been done. I looked on a few sites with the same outcome. No where could I find anything about any evidence the seatbelt recall was done. I'll call Toyota and check in with a local dealer. Need to stop in and pick up a few replacements for the rounded fan clutch nuts.

I 'believe' that because it shows date received, that it's been serviced.
The recall was first initiated from what I can read between July 20, 1990 thru Oct 12, 1990.

View attachment 1389473

Called the local dealership, no info. They didnt think the vin was even real. TOA found info that I couldn't see online.
Fuel Tank recall 9/19/94. Seatbelt recall 6/23/95. The operator was kind of over helping me until he asked if there was an issue I was concerned with. I told him the seat belts didn't seem to be working, a little fib, and he seemed to become more diligent.

The recall is very real and I contacted Toyota today. Unfortunately, if you don't respond to them within 10 years, the manufacturer is no longer obligated to honor it. Having said that, Toyota is looking into it but they don't believe the tank is available anymore.

If I recall, the problem with the tank was a baffle inside could become loose and bang around inside the tank. You may be able to hear it when you are low on gas. The baffle is designed to stop sloshing of the fuel and reduce fuel starvation when cornering. It's not much of a safety issue but a bit annoying. You could always drop the tank and have it welded or silver soldered if yours is loose.

The main reason for the recall is the charcoal canister check valve over pressurizes the tank and it can break the tank seams and cause leaks.. creating a fire hazard. The loose baffle is an afterthought or just a story fabricated by some Toyota rep to obscure the truth.

The recall is very real and I contacted Toyota today. Unfortunately, if you don't respond to them within 10 years, the manufacturer is no longer obligated to honor it. Having said that, Toyota is looking into it but they don't believe the tank is available anymore.

FYI: I just had my 1983 60's tank replaced under recall June 22nd of this year! They also replaced the seat belt guides under recall while it was there!

Last edited:
I called the dealer and they were able to tell me my 87 was done 11/13/1991 in Boulder, Colorado

Been reading here on Mud about the crazy fuel pressure in my 1984 FJ60 tank (when I remove the gas cap) and just learned of the fuel tank recall. I called Toyota Customer Assistance 800-331-4331, provided my VIN, and they let me know the recalls were still open (gas tank and seat belts). They conferenced on my local dealership and they scheduled an appointment for me in 4 days. I confirmed they were going to install the tank and seatbelts at no cost. Seemed a little too easy. I bought the FJ60 about a month ago. Crossing my fingers they actually get it done for me! Thanks Mud!

Thanks Ian...just troubleshooting my way through it. Was thinking the pressure was more related to the charcoal canister, which I haven't really been able to dig into just yet. In the meantime, I guess it cant hurt to get a new gas tank!

Thanks Ian...just troubleshooting my way through it. Was thinking the pressure was more related to the charcoal canister, which I haven't really been able to dig into just yet. In the meantime, I guess it cant hurt to get a new gas tank!

Correct, the check valve can stick and allows the tank to over pressurize, you can reverse the lines on the canister or drill a small vent hole in the gas cap to prevent.

New tanks are awesome and I'm glad they're doing it for you! I love that Toyota still stands behind their products!

Based on @Ian Crawford experience, I was successful at getting mine replaced. I did have to call two seperate dealerships. One was a beast and lied not only over the phone but directly to my face, the other made the experience painless. The parts no longer available when mine was completed last year was the straight fuel line. I offered to purchase ten feet of bulk line and leave it in the truck for the technician. In addition, you should plan on replacing the fuel pick-up and the sending unit with OEM. Chances are if there was moisture in the tank, these pieces are defunk. The hourly rates for the tank replacement already include swapping the parts from the old tank to the new one. Don't forget the new screws that attach on top of the tank too. Best of luck dealing with the stealership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom