FJ60/62 diff gearing and locker options (FAQ Data) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 82 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for? Camping,Offroad, & trips to mountains

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 4.11 with 32x 11.5

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both?
Air locker in rear only

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use?
Still have not got to test it too much. It is nice to have my speedometer right on again.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up?
It drives good on the highway, I can cruise at 65-70.
7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required
I pulled the 3rd members and had them regeared and the locker installed in the rear. It was not too hard if you have time to have it apart. I spend a lot but like the setup ($1600).

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have?
10/84 FJ60 - MAF Shackle Lift.

2.) What do you use it for?
Everything - its my only vehicle.

3.) What gearing and tires are you running?
Stock (3.73s?) and 33x12.50 BFG ATs

None

The natural overdrive is great for the highway, sucks for around town and wheeling. I'm going to need a new clutch soon if I don't swap out to 4.11s.

Awesome, drove it from Louisiana to New Hampshire at 75 with no issues. A sway bar would be nice for driving in the mountains.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required.
No comment, everything was done by PO.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? '84 fj60

2.) What do you use it for? long-distance overland travel, surfing, DD, a little of everything

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 3.73, factory xfer & 4 spd, 31x10.50s 0n 8" rims

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? ARB in the rear

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? works great- mild highway manners, solid lock on sand and mud.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Works great. Slightly better rpm's and mileage than stock due to the slightly taller tires. Otherwise the same.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 84 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for? daily and also weekend warrior (i.e. whatever gets in the way)

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? currently 33's and stock 3:70's

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? aussie auto locker in the rear.

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? weak point... making a hard turn while giving it gas drags a tire. strong point... works great all day everytime. no tire size limitations. ect ect ect

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? around town it will bark a tire every once in a while. in rain be careful in a turn it will lock and toss u sideways.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required 269.xx shipped skill level... pay attention not hard to do at all.

Last edited:
I guess ill put my 0.02 in.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? '88 FJ-62

2.) What do you use it for? was DD for almost 20 years, now wheeling rig and weekend driver

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? sierra 4.88s, 34" trxus MTs

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? Torsen geared limited slip front, lockright rear

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? LSD is great, footbraking will help lockup when necessary, and i can still turn. Would prefer a locker and hydro, but its easier on my stock birfs right now. Ive already popped 2 so dont expect it to be much easier on parts than a locker. Lockright is fantastic, i never notice any ill effects on the road and we all know how great they are in the rocks.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Little too many rpms at cruise, but would be perfect with 35s. My tires dont like to go over 75 and that is about as far as i like to push the rpms up (around 2600-2700), the truck will hold that speed all day. I only need third for brief bursts to keep speed up on long hills.

Otherwise, fantastic. The trxus do great on road as well as off, i dont have a trailer so i drive round trip to any wheeling trip.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 1982 fj60

2.) What do you use it for? rock crawling

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? H41/Toy Box/ 4.11s 37's

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? Dual Aussies

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? weak point is birfs til the 30 splines go in.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Good 70ish

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required I don't want to think about cost, and a couple of banana's

HJ-60

Weekend Wheeler / HardCoer Mudding / Expedition Rig

4.56 Presision Gear / Marks Underdrive SplitCase Gear Set / 40" MTR

Dual ARB Lockers

I only see advantages .. Only have one issue with some conector onthe compresor along 5 years running ARB's. Perfect HW driving ( lockers off ) and perfect off road ..

Perfect .. I never take other option, selectable lockers my rule, after try 3 diferent automatic lockers setups

Expensive here in Panamá .. I never do by myself

Last edited:
1.) What type of Cruiser do you have?84 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for?Daily Driver, camping, wheeling, hunting

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 3.73 with 33x10.50x15 BFG KM2 on stock chrome wheels

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? OPEN front and Aussie Locker in rear

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? Would prefer 4.56 gears to help with larger tires...and a selectable locker up front. Aussie is great for its application in rear in my opinion.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Speedo is 5mph slower than actual with larger tires installed.

$300 for Aussie locker....2 hours max to install...beginners can do it if you take your time.

info

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 86 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for? trails, street.

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 4.11 / 33*12.5*15

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? Auburn LSD / Front and Rear.

For mild trial use perfect, no issues on road, gearing is about right, might be a little better at 4.88 or 4.56.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? have manual 5 speed, will go as fast as you are crazy enough to drive (along with 5.7 Vortec). Cruises around 70-75.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required. $$... had friend setup the gears. At least 5:banana:, as you need to understand propert gear setup.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 84 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for? daily and also weekend warrior (i.e. whatever gets in the way)

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? currently 33's and stock 3:70's

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? aussie auto locker in the rear.

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? weak point... making a hard turn while giving it gas drags a tire. strong point... works great all day everytime. no tire size limitations. ect ect ect

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? around town it will bark a tire every once in a while. in rain be careful in a turn it will lock and toss u sideways.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required 269.xx shipped skill level... pay attention not hard to do at all.

guess i can update this...

the aussie is now up front with 4.56 gears, 33's and a detroit full replacement out back, truck is now 99.9999% trail truck and play on the rocks but i did daily drive it a bit on that set up.

it is also now SOA but have not wheeled it in that configuration yet nor do i have larger tires yet tho i plan on 40's. the front aussie will likely be going to my 82 BJ42 and then the detroit up front then i will weld up the rear on the 60

Last edited:
'87 FJ60 - Desmogged 2F, H55, etc.
DD + every trail I can find
Currently 4.11's and 35x12.5R15 MT/R's
Autolocker up front, open rear
On the road this truck drives real nice. Offroad she handles well but I wish I had lower gearing. I feel a ToyBox in my future. The weak point is definitely the birfields but I have yet to break one. I still carry around 2 spares just in case.
I primarily do highway driving to and from school, 210 miles each way. The gear ratio is perfect for on-highway driving. I can drive 70-75 all day long without issue.
Autolocker costs around $300, installation is a solid 3:banana: because you have to disassemble the front axle as well as the diff. Then once you break a birfield you'll have to upgrade to Longs, which costs a couple hundred more, etc.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? '85 60

2.) What do you use it for?camping, medium wheeling

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? stock 3.73 gears, 32x11.5x15 BFG's

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? Nothing at the moment

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? Coming from a '84 22R pickup, I was shocked that this thing had the balls to do serious highway/mountain driving at altitude. Cruises on the highway at 65mph with little difficulty and does alright on the trails without roasting the clutch too bad

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Just drove from the Denver area to Steamboat and it only felt overwhelmed on a couple short uphill sections. Did great over rabbit-ears pass

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required got a lug wrench?

1986 FJ60 272000 Miles

Daily Driver/Moderate-Hard Trails

Stock gearing and 33x10.50 BFG KM2s

Open FRT/Rear
Does really good all around. Have not got it stuck on the harder trails in my area but have killed most of the panels trying to make it fit. Would really benefit from lockers.

Drive it everyday. Never have problems. However I have not had it on a "highway" yet so my top speed has been 60ish I would guess

800 for tires.....everything else is stock.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 1985 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for? Trail

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 4.11 285/70R17 MT KM2

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? ARB front & rear

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? Excellent performance, but pricey.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? No different than open diffs

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required: Cost is more then I want to remember. Skill level to re-gear and setup locker is probably high. I had a shop do it. Skill level to remove/replace 3rd, install air pump, plumb air lines and wire switches is medium.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 1982 V8J60

2.) What do you use it for? Weekends - on and off road

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 3.70 - 33 / 12.50 /15 BFG AT

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? Cable locker Rear and soon to be front too.

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? Excellent performance, but pricey.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? On highway its open diff

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required: Cost is HIGH if you can even find them. Skill level varies depending if you get a complete axle or just the 3rd. If you have to ask about skill level it may be to difficult for you to do. Read the FSM

Dynosoar:zilla:

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 1985 FJ60 stock 2F smogged

2.) What do you use it for? Camping, light expedition

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? H55F, stock transfer case, 4.56 axles with 33" BFG AT

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? ARB air lockers front and rear

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? expensive(-), nice low gear for off road(+), pulls hills OK for 2F(+), reasonable highway rpm(?)

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? 65mph is about 2700 RPM.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required it wasn't cheap. I had a reputable mechanic install the H55F and set up the differentials. I installed the 3rd members

Mostly '74 FJ55 with later 2F

Daily driver/weekend warrior

4.88s, doubler for off-road use, 37x14.5 Toyo M/T

Detroit rear, ARB front

Fabulous off-road, not bad around town either

Cruises nicely on the freeway, 2800 to 3200 RPM gives me 63 to 72 MPH

I had a pro set up the gears, already had the lockers, ran about 1 grand to have the gears put in.

1987 FJ60.

Occasional DD, mild to moderate weekend wheeling.

33X10.50/15, 4.11 w/H41 tranny.

Open front, lockrite rear.

Lockrite is quirky around town, not DD friendly in a true urban environment. Lockrite is great on the trail.
1st gear in the H41 is too low for DD use, you grab for 2nd w/in 15 feet. I love the combo of H41 w/4.11 off-road.

33's w/4.11 are great on the freeway - 55mph @ 2500, 68 mph @ 3000. H55 would be better, but this was a cheaper option.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 1988 FJ62 with 1984 2F (0.060" overbore , Delta cam , stock carb , headers , petronix ignition )

2.) What do you use it for? Cruising on the African Continent

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? stock H55F , stock transfer case, 4.56 axles with 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? 80 series LSD retrofitted in front and Aussie rear

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? nice low gear for off road(+), pulls hills OK for 2F(+), reasonable highway rpm(?)

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? 65mph is about 2700 RPM.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required The gearing setup was reasonable - got the LSD for nothing and just paid for installation . The Aussie was easy to install - just the C-clips is a :censor: to get to . ( the semi-floater soon to be replaced with Full Floater )
Thanks to 2mbb for the template - I used yours since gearing is the same

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 1990 fj62

2.) What do you use it for? dd, moderate off-roader

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 4.88s 37" MTRs

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? ARB/ARB

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? Can't beat ARBs on the road, and off road for that matter. ARB should be the only choice. I dig the 4.88s. Perfect for tires between 35"-37". 4.56s should be good for 33". and 5.29 for 38"+

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Dog on the highway hills.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required. Advanced/Pro installation required. probably 3gs all said and done.
Hello, I am asking about 4:88 gears for a 85 FJ-60 I have a new set of 3rd members with new 4:88 gears and a air locker for rear. Would like to know what you think about using on my FJ? It has a small block chevy engine and I use 35" tires in the road and 33" mudders off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom