1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ60/62 diff gearing and locker options (FAQ Data)

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Mike S, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Mike S

Mike S

We get more than a few questions about setting up 60s and 62s for various situations... from mild to wild. I would like to organize a FAQ thread to gather your experiences and knowledge for others. Please stick to contributing actual personal experience...

Here is some is a format for contributing - which you might try to use, or not.

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have?

2.) What do you use it for?

3.) What gearing and tires are you running?

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both?

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use?

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up?

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required

This will be posted a s a sticky for about a week, then I will review and post to the FJ60/62 FAQ thread.

Share your knowledge!

Thanks.

Mike S

2. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 83 fj60

2.) What do you use it for? daily driver and trail

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 4.56/33x10.5

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? no lsd, but aussie locker in the rear

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? no more 90mph on the highway

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? sucks...65-70mph max

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required? @$800 to regear both diffs and add one aussie locker...locker piece of cake, gearing not as hard as i expected, but then, who's to say i did it right?

3. FJ40Jim

FJ40Jim The Cruiser Whisperer

Media:
    [quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=15192;start=msg143527#msg143527 date=1082653188]
    FJ60 made of various years from 1964 to 1988.

Four wheeling, around town, occasional long trips.

Stock H42, stock 2.27 split case, 4.11 axles.
    Tires are 31x10.5 Grabber AP radials for street and snow.
    Also 34x9.50 TSL on stock 15x6 wheels w/ 1/4" spacers for off-road.

Open front, lock-right in rear, 'cause it's what I had laying around.

Off pavement, the TSL tires and a lock-right make the rig pretty boring to drive. Seems to go most anywhere, until the fat body hangs it up. Some kind of doubler box would really improve the slightly too fast low range gearing. Bias-ply Swampers are nasty on the road, lock-right adds the usual quirky noises and direction changes.

Highway gearing is too short w/ worn 31" tires and 4.11. Max comfortable cruise speed is a true 60MPH. Highway gearing is just right w/ true 34" tires. 63mph indicated is about 68 true.

pair of used 4.11's from junk '76 FJ40- free
    used lock-right $150?
    4 TSL 34x9.50 tires- $550
    miscellaneous gaskets, oil, knuckle reseal kits- $150
    swapping tires & rear diff- :banana: :banana:
    swapping front diff and a knuckle rebuild, 'cause you're in there- :banana: :banana: :banana:[/quote]

4. The Dude

The Dude

HJ61 and BJ40/42

Both used for moderate wheeling, the HJ61 is a daily driver

4.10 in both trucks with 255/85R16, HJ has the auto, BJ 4speed

HJ has OEM cable lockers and the BJ is welded in the rear and a lock right up front

cable lockers are great, easy on/off. Welded rear is better then the lock right in the rear. It is more predictable but requires proper welding...Took me about three attempts to get it right. 2LO is a must if running locked in the front.

HJ is fine with open difs. The BJ is OK, Better with the welded over the lock right.

Check out the E locker for a comparable to the cable lockers. There is a great site linked off odf IH8MUD. Skills needed are basic for both the e-loacker and the lock right. Welded rear was a little tricky for myself.

5. devo

devo

1) 1984 FJ60 (V8J60)
    2) everyday driver, long hiway trips, expedition trips, up to 4+ trails
    3) 5.7 Vortec, NV4500, 4.88's, 33x12.5 MTR, FF rear axle, OME 2.5 lift
    4) ARB lockers front and rear
    5) much improved hiway travel with the V8 and NV4500, 70mph all day and get 17.5 mpg and use the passing lane. The whole set up works great off road in any situations. Sometimes the 60 is too long and bumps the body. The NV4500 is noisier than any Toyota tranny. Do I have the same reliability now that I don't have a 2F.
    6) on hiway is 110+ percent better with the V8 and NV4500. Freeway cruising speeds are obtainable and sustainable even on long up hill pulls with a load. The 5th gear is tall and with the 4.88's the mpg's are up there. The MTR's are as noisey as you would expect for a mudder. The OME suspension does fine.
    7) Price? You have to look up the parts cost yourself. Prices very depending on shopping ability, but plan on thousand$. Labor also in the thousand$ depending on skill level. I'd say :banana: :banana: to :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

6. muddogbob

muddogbob

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 1990 fj62

2.) What do you use it for? dd, moderate off-roader

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 4.88s 37" MTRs

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? ARB/ARB

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? Can't beat ARBs on the road, and off road for that matter. ARB should be the only choice. I dig the 4.88s. Perfect for tires between 35"-37". 4.56s should be good for 33". and 5.29 for 38"+

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Dog on the highway hills.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required. Advanced/Pro installation required. probably 3gs all said and done.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  7. theferg

theferg

Media:
    FJ60 (October 1984)

Used to be daily driver, now promoted to weekend warrior runnin' around Utah's terrain: mild, moderate, and somewhat harder trails.

4.10 in the diffs, stock trans and t-case, 35 MTRs

80 series electric lockers front and rear

Strong points: selectable, stock strong-ass cruiser parts
    Weak points: cost of conversion

With 4.10s and 35s, I've clocked myself with my GPS unit and was running up near 80 mph at 3100 rpms

6.5) What is your off-highway experience with this set-up?
    With stock trans and t-case and 4.10s and 35s, the lowest gearing is too high for most off-road use. 4.88s would help, and a lower first gear or lower t-case low, or any combination would help alot. The trans and t-case (or a double) would be ideal if you wish to keep the higher highway speeds.

:banana: :banana: :banana: The e-lockers come as a complete part of the diff (aka third, pumpkin) and drop right in to full float Cruiser axles. If you can do an axle rebuild or change a birf, you can do that much of it. I give 3 bananas for the wiring and switch part of it. You need a relay system of some sort so you gotta either know that crap, be able to read an electronic schematic, or know a buddy who can.

Approximate cost is $1500-2000 USD (including axle rebuild kits, required shafts, and FF rear housing)

8. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    1) What type of Cruiser do you have?
    lets stick to the 60 :)

work, running arounf town, mild trails, no hard core wheelin

4.10's out of the rear of 2 80 series, 33x10.5 BFG's. I find this is almost the perfect combo if you have the H42 trany.

rear ARB.

would like a lower 1st gear and a overdrive but the combo I have works VERY well.

I think 60mph(GPS) is turning 2500ish RPM

gears were free(thanks guys) $100 an end for the install kit, $600 for ARB, $200 for ARB comp.....not sure on install cost.....I forget(but it was a deal)

on the 90 fj62, we have the stock 4.11's, open diffs and 33x9.5s.....I am very happy with the way it drives.

9. dd113

dd113

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 1988 fj62

2.) What do you use it for? dd, hardoff-roader, long trips

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 4.10s 35" pro comps MTs and a 4" lift..

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? no slip in the back and EZ locker in the ft

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? No slip is perfect in the back. Never had any issue with it. Ft is weak with the EZ locker. I have broken 3 bierfs in the last 2 rides with it in. Plan on an ARB eventually in ft. It will go just about anywhere it will fit.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? I have done some long trips with it and like it so far. I need 8" rims currently running 12" rims and they are too wide for the hwy. I cruse around 80 MPH at 2K rpm in lockup. Plan to get 4.88s eventually
    7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required. Easy to install but you will want to rebuild the ft/rr axle while you are in there just cuz.About $900 for all of it and a weekends worth of work. You should be able to do this yourself with an OEM book

10. RustyNailJustin

RustyNailJustin

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 87 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for? Rockcrawling, trail use only

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 4.88s in tha axles, Atlas 4.3, SM465, 40 inch swampers.

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? Detroit rear, ARB front.

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use?the only thing I have broke sence I put onetons and an atlas is a leaf spring.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Scarry! Hate driving it over 40 MPH with the Hydro sterring.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required? Between 20 and 25K, with the Fuel injected V8, and all the running gear swap, and body mods I would consitter skill level high.

11. JDay

JDay

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 87 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for? Mild to hard wheeling, not DD.

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? Stock H42 and Tcase, 4.56, 35 BFG MT (won at CM03), SOA

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? Rear - Detroit, Front - Lock-Right

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? Hooks up well off-road, great flex. I could probably use a tire with a bit stiffer sidewall. Lower gears offroad and higher gears on-highway would be better.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Cruises at 60-65 comfortably, however, can go to 75 no problem. Cut and turned front makes tracking on-highway no problem.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required. Not sure of costs, picked up gears and lockers from friend's truck, won tires, $400 for hy-steer, home done SOA (had help).

12. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    just got back from moab, and while the highway sucked with 4.56s, they performed great along with the aussie locker :D i almost forgot what it was like to crawl again.

13. masscrusher

masscrusher

9/85 1985 FJ60

20% on road, 80% off road

4.11:1 from a 62. Interco Trxus 33"x12.5R15 on 15x7 steeles

Rear Aussie Locker, open front... for now

Weak points in a Cruiser??? ???

From other cruisers, no problems at all. Just slow and steady. With the 33s and 4.11 I have noticed I can go a little faster than before, but I have always been able to reach 70 mph in the speedometer.

Suspension kit: :banana: :banana: :banana:
    thirds swap: :banana: :banana:
    Aussie Locker install: :banana: :banana:
    Changing tires: I'll pay someone to do it
    Cost: $3000 incluiding all the tools I did not had, grase, oil, rags, etc.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
    fahzybeer likes this.
  14. CSA

CSA

1.) What type of cruiser do you have? 90 FJ62.

2.) What do you use it for? Mostly on road and some light wheeling.

3.) What gears and tires are you running? 4.10s and 31X10.5s.

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running? Open front and rear.

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use. Works well for what I need it to do.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set up? Terrific around town and on (relatively flat) highway. It is horrible trying to go up a steep grade. Will probably go to 4.56s or 4.88s and 33s.

7.) Estimate approximate cost and installation skill required. None. Came this way from PO.

15. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? '87 HJ60 with a 1994 1HZ in it.

2.) What do you use it for? Adventure vehicle

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? Right now 5.29s with ARBs, but that is to low for the diesel. Im getting factory cable locking 4.11's

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? Previous question.

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? No weak points. Its not a hard core wheeler. Im getting a BJ74 for that. The 60 is my travel to Alaska rig. I put in a 50 gallon fuel tank and am adding a 20 gallon aux tank for it. "The only time you've got to much fuel on board is when you're ON FIRE baby!

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? She'll turn 2250 RPM at 70mph. (112 kph for you Cannuck guys) Perfect for the diesel.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required LOTS AND LOTS!

This will be posted a s a sticky for about a week, then I will review and post to the FJ60/62 FAQ thread.

Share your knowledge!

16. crawlin60

crawlin60

1) 86 FJ60, last wheeled as Alcan 4" SUA
    2) DD, wheeler when available
    3) 4.56s on 35" MT/Rs, on 15x8s
    4) ARBs ff&rr
    5)works great in Moab, needs a tad more lift to Rubicon without struggle. OE P/S blows, hence SOA and Saginaw pump.
    6) on road, stable and supple. Alcans are soft so crosswind and/or driving w/o swaybar shows a nice lean on turns. 4.56s on 35s put the powerband right where it needs to be, (70 mph at 3000rpm, IIRC) with my H55F but this only applies to the 2F, since a SBC would be happier geared 4.10 on 35s.
    7) gear setup plus ARB install $120/per axle, suspension lift was $180 per spring pack, tires about $160/ea plus road hazard and tax. Install ability is nothing an impact gun and extensions can't handle.

17. hj60

hj60

A: 1983 FJ-60.
    It'll eventually be converted to an HJ-60.5 (12H-T/H55-F/HF2A)

A: DD. Light trails.
    I'd like to keep it as a DD, but be able to do harder trails, too.

A: Stock gearing (3.8x:1). 31x10.50R15 Wildcat A/T.
    I plan to go 4.11:1 and 35x12.50R16 mud tires, brand undecided.

A: Front: light brake application. Rear: parking brake lever modulation.
    I plan to install front and rear cable locking axles from a non-US 60.

A: It works and it came with the rig. :D

A: It's slow and sucks gas.
    This is why I want to go 12H-T/H55-F.

A: Ask the guys at the factory. :)
    Planned mods will likely go close to $US10k. Labor'll be free, though.

Using the brakes as a poor man's locker is something that's worked for me for
    years on various rigs. Don't know if it'll hold up on the Rubicon, but for light to
    moderate trails and mud, it's fine. I just tend to eat brake shoes/pads for
    breakfast. A locker'd likely be less expensive in the long run, but I don't have the
    $$$ right now.

18. toy60

toy60

Nothing loke learning from others mistakes

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 84 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for? Weekend Fun machine Camping 4 wheelin

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 4.1 (Std in oz) 33 x9.5

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? Lockright Rear / open front

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? Off road Brilliant! it walks where it will fit. On road ok bit jumpy to drive but ok, in carparks or around town its a DOG. Bucks, axle hops surges and skips around almost annoying to drive. seee comment at end!!!

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? ok on the highway

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required one day and 250 bucks including oil and gaskets. VERY easy to install The best traction value for buck out there.

Given the time over I would spend the exra for the Lockright powertrax. It would make the city driving a lot more comfortable.
    May sell the lockright or put it in the front and ad the powertrax to the rear.

19. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? 1985 FJ60

2.) What do you use it for? Daily Driver, Pretty hard off road.

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? 35 x 12.5 x 15 BFG MT, 4.10 R&P

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? ARB front, Aussie Locker rear

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? ARB is great in front. Aussie locker in rear does it's job. Happy overall. Gearing is way to high. I tend to bank and clang down the trail, while smoking the clutch. Gearing is high on my to do.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? Not too harsh. the rear locker doesn't like it when the tire pressure is under 35 lbs. Highway cruising is up to 70-75 mph.

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required. Got a deal on the tires. Ended up costing me about $100. Got a deal on the used ARB, cost me total about $800.

20. sanjuancruiser

sanjuancruiser

1.) What type of Cruiser do you have? '88 FJ62 w/H55F aussie t-case gears, 4 in. lift w/ MAF sr and u bolt reversal.

2.) What do you use it for? DD and off road/road trips

3.) What gearing and tires are you running? stock4:11s w33x12.5s on 10" rims

4.) What type of locking LSD are you running, if any? Front? Rear? Both? open both ends for now-will put in ARBs

5.) Strong and weak points of this set-up for the intended use? so new I haven't hardcore wheeled it yet however, the on road perfomance is good the rpms are high though; 2800 @ 75mph. milage gets exponentially worse the faster I go. Love the low first good for short rocky spots where i don't need 4WD. Suspension is good and has decent articulation-gets better with every day.I hope to get it out on some hard stuff soon.

6.) What is your on-highway experience with this set-up? see above

7.) Estimate approximate costs and installation skill level required Everything but the tranny swap was a w/e job with basic tools incl. a welder. The cost could have been less however, I think some where around 1200 including lift and reversal (u bolts & shackle). tranny was spendy cause you need a donar 60.