FJ60 2lo with stock transfer case EASY mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shifter closest to me is the toybox down is 1:1 up is 2.28:1 shifter right above that is transmission gear shifter, one to direct right of that is 2wd and 4wd shifter up is 2wd down is 4wd, then shifter to the right of that one is the final transfer case up is 1:1 down is 2.31:1 :D

Didnt take me as long to remember them all as I thought it would.:clap:

Nice I'll be doing this next weekend if the weather permits.

This should go on the best mods for under $50 thread.

OK, I went out and figured this out on my fj62. Here is just one more reason an fj62 is superior to an fj60. :D It is so simple, I don't even need a photo. On the passenger side (US Spec) of the transfer case towards the back and the top are three wires. One wire comes out of the transfer case by itself. You are going to leave this wire alone. The other two wires come out together and go to one connector about 18 inches up the wires. You can either disconnect this connector, or if you don't want to leave the connections hanging to get corroded over time, you can simply cut one of the two wires a few inches from where they go into the transfer case and fold one end you cut over about an inch and tape over it, (don't cut the single wire coming out). You will be disconnecting the switch that detects you moving the transfer case shift selector into 4 wheel drive low. Now, with the wires disconnected or cut, the transfer case will not detect you have shifted into 4 low, and will not engage the front axle. So there you go. 2 lo mod for the fj62. You now select 4 lo just like you select 4 hi with the push of a button.

Wow, this is a fantastic idea. I will definitely add this to my list of mods. When you say "You now select 4 lo just like you select 4 hi with the push of a button", do you mean that you engage 4lo when you press the button while being in 2lo? Or does it engage 4lo anytime you push the 4hi button, thus eliminating your 4hi?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this without actually having my cruiser to "see" the tcase shift pattern and whatnot.

The shift pattern for an FJ62 on the lever is either up or down. the lever on the 62 only controls high and low range nothing else. so 4 low can not engage by pushing the button unless the shifter has been moved into the low range selection position. Before when the 62 was put into low range it would auto go into 4wd even if you didnt push the button. Now you will have to push the button when in low range just like you do for when your in high range.

The shift pattern for an FJ62 on the lever is either up or down. the lever on the 62 only controls high and low range nothing else. so 4 low can not engage by pushing the button unless the shifter has been moved into the low range selection position. Before when the 62 was put into low range it would auto go into 4wd even if you didnt push the button. Now you will have to push the button when in low range just like you do for when your in high range.

Sweet, I understand now. It was just a little hard to picture since I don't have my cruiser in my possession at the moment and I haven't had much time behind the wheel of it.

I started this mod yesterday and finished up today.

My experience was a bit different with my 1984. The bolts on my bracket were 14mm.

I also had to remove a second bracket that shares the bottom bolt location in order to get the bracket off. The second bracket bolt can be accessed where the clutch slave enters the tranny.

IMG_0502.jpg

In this picture the bracket can be seen top right.

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

Last edited:
I need to do this...already have skids off. Has anyone made a custom shift knob that shows the new 2LO position?

I need to do this...already have skids off. Has anyone made a custom shift knob that shows the new 2LO position?

Not a bad idea. The pattern would be a square, pretty cool.

Completed 2 Low Mod

Completed my 2 Low mod tonight. I can almost see an end to the PO's body lift removal. The PO had heated, bent, and welded a section in the old transfer case shifter. Rather than salvage it I got a shifter from Slacker24-7. He reminded me to do the 2 Low Mod and sent me the link to this thread.

Perfect thread. Mine is an 84' and I had the same extra bolt under the bracket ElDorado556 described.

I also found the reason my reverse lights don't work. My wires are pulled out of the white plug. The white plug is wrapped around the fuel lines on the frame.

I want to reroute my wiring the correct way. I can tell from some of the pictures the route across the top of the transmission.

Would it be possible for someone to post a pic of the wiring along the frame and where if crosses over to the transmission/transfer case?

Not a bad idea. The pattern would be a square, pretty cool.

My 2LO mod started because I had my old man turn me a curly maple T-case knob. While installing it I wanted to "clean things up a bit". That quickly became, "since I'm down here".

My friends dad has a mill. Might have him make a metal plate with the new diagram for the top.

IMG_0497.jpg

Completed my 2 Low mod tonight. I can almost see an end to the PO's body lift removal. The PO had heated, bent, and welded a section in the old transfer case shifter. Rather than salvage it I got a shifter from Slacker24-7. He reminded me to do the 2 Low Mod and sent me the link to this thread.

Perfect thread. Mine is an 84' and I had the same extra bolt under the bracket ElDorado556 described.

I also found the reason my reverse lights don't work. My wires are pulled out of the white plug. The white plug is wrapped around the fuel lines on the frame.

I want to reroute my wiring the correct way. I can tell from some of the pictures the route across the top of the transmission.

Would it be possible for someone to post a pic of the wiring along the frame and where if crosses over to the transmission/transfer case?
i will try and get that for ya this weekend unless someone beats me to it.. might start a new thread for more opinions...
congrats on the 2low as well as getting rid of that crazy BL ya had.. better be careful or thats gonna turn out to be a nice cruiser....:D

This mod is also good for say, this scenario:

Your on the road in 2wd and you come to a trailhead that you traverse some distance, and over that coarse there are only a couple of spots that are steep and nothing that really warrants the use of 4wd. Well, with the 2wd-lo mod you can do said trail and just use the 2lo in a couple spots meanwhile, "You dont have to get out and lock the hubs".

this mod is drastically going to help me out, being i have 4.10s gears in my rear diff and 4.11s in the front diff, when using low range but not needing 4x4
:clap:

fj4play said:
this mod is drastically going to help me out, being i have 4.10s gears in my rear diff and 4.11s in the front diff, when using low range but not needing 4x4
:clap:

What axle do you have out back that has 4.10?

Sent from my DROIDX using IH8MUD

Those are both 4.11

And even if the 80 third is a 4.10 the difference wouldn't be noticeable even if on the street.

Can't the same thing be accomplished by simply moving the lever to 4LO and not locking in the hubs?

jfnall said:
Can't the same thing be accomplished by simply moving the lever to 4LO and not locking in the hubs?

Yes, but it also still spins the front driveline doing that, this does not.

And who wants to get in and out locking and un-locking the hubs?

For those with front lockers like Detroit's and Aussies that are auto locking hubs it can sometimes make steering difficult when turning on a high traction surface. Or like in my case when I did this a few years ago, I stayed in 2 low untilled I needed the 4wd for a climb or some mud that I thought could give issue.

Also when in 4wd and a slick surface it can cause you to go straight instead of turning like u may want. So you kick it 2 and make your turn it whatever you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom