FJ40 sheet metal replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm searching for good tech articles or write-ups regarding rear quarter panel and rocker panel replacements on an FJ40. I have found plenty of good pics, but no narratives to go along with them.

Just follow any recent build thread going on in the 40 section!!!!

Tons of info going on the daily

I'm searching for good tech articles or write-ups regarding rear quarter panel and rocker panel replacements on an FJ40. I have found plenty of good pics, but no narratives to go along with them.

I replaced a fair amount of sheet metal on my '76. Take a look at my build up thread and hit me up with any questions and I will answer if I can. Are you replacing the entire quarter panel or using patch panels? Either way you will also need to weld in temporary bracing to maintain the original shape/geometry. I show how to do this in my build up thread as well. Good luck.

I recently acquired a '78 FJ40 project. The tub is pretty solid. It came with new complete rear quarter panels due to the rear wheel wells being terribly hacked, so I'm going to install the new quarters. I understand it's a fairly simple task with the proper preparation. I'm not new to FJ40s or mechanical work, but I've never replaced the quarter panels on an FJ40.

I have read through some of the rebuild threads, and found good information there. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I still haven't found a thorough tech article on complete quarter panel replacements.

Thanks for the help.

You still.have you fj40 buggy? That was one of my favorites

Cheers Dan

You still.have you fj40 buggy? That was one of my favorites

Cheers Dan

I don't have the back half FJ40 buggy any more, but I do a full tube chassis buggy with an FJ40 hood and grill.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure there are many threads on Mud, but I wrote an article several years ago for Toyota Trails on my fairly disastrous attempt to replace a full quarter panel on an '80 FJ40. The panel's fitment was terrible, and I spent many hours fiddling around to get it to fit. Hard top engagement was the hardest part, but there were many other fitment disasters with these panels (gas door, sill area, the 3rd world seam by the marker light, the curvature of the panel, the total lack of captive nuts, etc.). The brand name was P*COL.

I would only use a patch panel, if at all possible, and not attempt to replace the entire outer rear quarter panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom