FJ40 Plastic Window Crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jtm

Threads
Please tell me there are metal window cranks available and if so, please point me in the right direction? I have had my 1975 FJ40 for 4 months and I've stripped 4 of those cheap plastic window cranks. They work fine, but if you over tighten even the slightest, they strip and are ruined.

Last edited:
Oem were around.
They're a cast aluminum or pot metal.
But it sounds like the regulators might have issues as well

All I seem to be able to locate ar the plastic ones and I believe this is OEM, but I could be wrong. Perhaps there is a plastic window crank with a metal fitting on the inside. The regulators work fine, it's just the cheap plastic gets stripped every time you barely over tighten the windows.

75 should be plastic window cranks, nothing metal about them(besides the clip)

Pretty sure I got some new ones from Toyota last year. they may also be the same as 60 series(which I know are still available)

75 should be plastic window cranks, nothing metal about them(besides the clip)

Pretty sure I got some new ones from Toyota last year. they may also be the same as 60 series(which I know are still available)

negative.
the sets i have on 75 doors are metal.
the new ones i got from beno are the same.

20170426_150143.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be darned, they must be just about a 2 year production, 77+ are plastic. Never had a 75 or 76...

I just recently bought some OEM ones for my 77 and they were plastic. No problems with them stripping. The original ones were worn, but still worked. Never saw metal ones listed, that would be nice.

Try winders from a KE30 Corolla -they appear to be the same.

Like @thebigredrocker , I am inclined to be suspicious of the window felts. I have had issues with installing aftermarket felts that customers have supplied with their rigs and will no longer offer to install them.

FWIW, 66-74 FJ40 owners tend to break the metal handles on their rear hatches for the same reason: too much resistance.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Yeap the inside and outside front door latches, the rear upper hatch latches and these window winders are all a cast white "metal" might actually be aluminum but more inclined to believe it's a pot metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom