Builds Fj40 Daily and Wheeler build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I pulled all those wires and put them to a fuse box. Looks better,and is how I should have done it in the first place.
View attachment 1689354
looks good- I’m gonna tackle all my temporary wiring on of these days. Just found out I need to learn how to rebuild q-jet, so it’ll have to wait.

Ready to go wheeling...i hope. Hopefully all the driving around town has paid off. Found all kinds of small problems that would have been a problem most likely. Got my spare driveshaft lengthened for the longer wheelbase.
20180501_175229-756x1008.jpg
20180501_225821.jpg
20180501_230046.jpg

Have fun in Red Rock country!!:clap:

I purchased that same exact car dolly from American last year. Industry leading engineering, high quality fabrication, and great customer service. Highly recommended.

Enjoying your build thread.

Got some freel fj60 rear Springs. They are pretty beat. Trying to bring them back to life. They are what I need to get the wheelbase stretch I'm after. Lots of rust. A couple of the bottom leafs are either really rusty or cracked. I'm going to use 40 leafs as replacementsoon for the bad lower ones.
View attachment 1399048

Ever consider this for between the springs? I think OME uses something like this on theirs.
Drislide N. America, Inc. — Drislide Multi-Purpose, 5.25oz Aerosol Can

I purchased that same exact car dolly from American last year. Industry leading engineering, high quality fabrication, and great customer service. Highly recommended.

Enjoying your build thread.
Yea I really like it so far. I bought it used, it's nice how much load it can handle.

So I made a few mistakes on some of my mods. With the AC the fan is really close to the radiator. When the truck is flexed out the fan hits the radiator, so I was only able to wheel 2 days in moab because I destroyed the radiator, so I have a new radiator and electric fan coming shortly. Also with the creeper shackle joints, they flop to one side or the other when steering which is causing the whole front axle to shift left or right, I may have to go back to bushings or something. In the videos above you can hear the fan hitting the radiator, I thought it was just hitting the shroud and was not big deal but that was wrong. I should have flexed it out at home and checked my clearances first.

20180503_105355.jpg

That's a bummer. I had to enlarge/elongate the radiator cradle stud holes to be able to move the radiator closer to the bib on mine. Partly since the oem available radiators are 4 vs 3 core (back in 1970). It gave me enough clearance so the fan doesn't make contact. there are pics of this somewhere in my build thread.

That's a bummer. I had to enlarge/elongate the radiator cradle stud holes to be able to move the radiator closer to the bib on mine. Partly since the oem available radiators are 4 vs 3 core (back in 1970). It gave me enough clearance so the fan doesn't make contact. there are pics of this somewhere in my build thread.
Yea since I have AC I had to move the radiator way closer to the fan to squeeze the condensor in.

How close is your fan??? or I guess how close is the thermoclutch?? Did it hit the shroud too??

20180524_104242-1008x756.jpg
I don't have it in front of me, but I would guess 3/8" at most. I have a 1/4" spacer on the water pump snout to keep the fan away from the ac compressor. I could take out the spacer but would have to trim the fan blades a bit. I don't think it hit the shroud. One of my mistakes was not installing radiator support rods, but when I realized the radiator had too much movement in moab I zip tied it to the grill temporarily. The front clip flexes a lot offroad on bigger obstacles so that may not have helped much. I was able to loosen the radiator cap a bit and that relieved enough pressure so it was just a mild leak and I could enjoy the rest of the trail. But I decided not to run Pritchett the next day as thats a rougher trail and would probably make it much worse.

Last edited:
Wowee..., yeah 3/8" is a bit too close to the core for comfort unless it is an electric mounted to the radiator frame. Right now, I'm
sitting at about 1" from the fan clutch hub, so blades should be golden spacing wise. Still configuring the fan shroud to do it's job and not hit the fan blade. Such fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom