FJ40 cup holders - Give me some feedback please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@CarDude if you can take some pictures and measurements I would be more than willing to try. Is there a bolt somewhere in the center of the seat frame to attach? Or a spot under the dash to do a single? I would like to make it where the person doesn't need to drill holes, but not sure if that is possible. Let me know. I would love to do the earlier years.

How about this it could attach with one or both with the thickness of the metal that you're using

And have the holder about right here

That is definitely an option from that area. If it is a one cup holder it would work with the single bolt I think. If you sketch me a design that would be great. Are all fj40 column bolts the same? I have a 1978 with the pad right there, so I should be able to draw one up if I get time.

More cup holders are cut and ready to ship. I made it sit a little lower to the transmission tunnel and allows for taller cups. $35 shipped and painted black for a basic model for 73-78 years. $45 includes a 12 volt outlet. I have a couple 79-83 model cup holders being shipped out for final testing, then those will be available.
PM me.
Let me know when the 70-83 model is available. I currently have a cup holder taped onto the middle of my center console and I can't wait to get rid of it.

That is definitely an option from that area. If it is a one cup holder it would work with the single bolt I think. If you sketch me a design that would be great. Are all fj40 column bolts the same? I have a 1978 with the pad right there, so I should be able to draw one up if I get time.

I am horrible with sketching .but I think with the thick metal that your using one bolt will be good. Expecially if you leave a little metal to the right of the bolt hole. A one cup holder will be great. thanks for taking this on

I am painting and shipping some of the first 79-83 cup holders this week. I will have more pictures and prices posted soon. Thanks for everyone's help with ideas. Here is a couple bare metal pics, sans a 12 volt option. It should mount under the front of the center console using the factory bolts. And it shouldn't matter if you have a heater or not (I tried making it fit both. Price will be around $30 + shipping if you wanted it painted. Thanks MUD.

IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7462.JPG

Great product... any chance of a different plastic cup bucket? Bottom part is too small for my Contigo insulated cup and it rattles around in the upper part. I made a neoprene sleeve that seems to do the trick but it tends to stay with the cup.

@Ranchrider I can try and look around. Do you know the outside diameter of the cup you have?

Last edited:
Thankful that Kyle worked this up and made them available... My version ('82-40) required only minimal adjustments (bout the only I'm equipped for!) to install... no more cups tipping over from the Walmart setup :D

IMG_0680.JPG

Just installed in my 1980. Let me give you some feedback.

Your cup holder installs easily, fits perfectly, looks great, and solves my problem! I think you got this one nailed.

IMG_0685.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG

What are people doing for cup holders if you have a bench seat???

View attachment 1368138
I made some wire ones that fit under the windshield wing nut. You would have to make your own.
Now I have driven it for a while and decided not to fit power steering or swap to a 2H the next most pressing requirement is a cup holder! I couldn't fit a modern plastic one so I made my own from 6mm steel rod. The big question is now what colour to paint it?

View attachment 1234906

View attachment 1234907

View attachment 1234908

I bent the 90 corner first, then the 180 loop squishing in a vice then bent the loop around a large socket that was a bit smaller than the final size. Then I cut off the rest of the rod with a 1mm cut off disk in a grinder.
It was all done by eye-ometer, no measurements were taken!
Nice one. I'll give it a go over the Xmas/New Year break:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom