FJ40 cup holders - Give me some feedback please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

corleykj

Jack of some, definately master of none.
Threads
I made myself a couple different cup holders for my fj40 after getting tired of not having a good spot to hold a drink or two. If you look at these and have any suggestions for improvements or things you would like to see me tweak for your 40's cup holders, let me know. These mount to your factory seat frames/center console of 73-78 FJ40's.

I have a couple for sale post in the classifieds section.
cup holder for ad.png

Front Cup holders for 73 - 78 bucket seat frames/center console.
For Sale: - FJ40 front cup holders with 12 volt cigarette outlet (1973-1978 bucket seat frames)

Roll Bar Cup holders
For Sale: - fj40 rear cup holders - installs to roll roll bar bolts

Material: 16 gauge steel
Cup holder insert: plastic with a large 3 1/2" opening.

Installation instructions: Remove the two bolts in the front of the the center console, line up the cup holder, re-insert and tighten bolts.

I have a few designs I have messed with. If you have any suggestions of what you would like to see in a cup holder, let me know and I will try and make improvements.

Thanks MUD!

Model 1 is the drink holder for 2 that mounts to the seat frame (center console bots) of a 73-78 fj40.

Model 2 is the drink holder and speaker slot that fits a Bose Color speaker. Here is a link to the speaker I use which works decent. Amazon.com: Bose SoundLink Color Bluetooth Speaker (Red): Electronics

Model 3 A two drink holder for 80-83 fj40's with the plastic center console. I will have some feedback soon on this one. I just made my first one and will be shipping to a customer soon. PICS COMING SOON.

Model 4:) Single rear roll bar drink holder that installs using the factory roll bar bolts.

Model 5... maybe one for bench seat models or one that mounts using the ash tray bolts (due to your suggestions:)

For an extra price I am including 12 volt marine cigarette charging outlet that has an inline fuse and some wire for installation.

View attachment 1252081

73 78 good view.jpg

front.JPG

set 1.jpg

can and clearance.JPG

Last edited:
I was actually about to fab up #1 with a 12v plug also. This would save me time. Interested for sure. Doe it bolt up using the same holes as the center console?

This bolts up using the two bolts the center console uses. I didn't have to add washers, or longer bolts for mine. Took about 2 minutes to install.

A couple people are requesting a cup holer for their 81 and 82 fj40. Anyone want to take measurements for me? Thanks.

Model 3: Is anyone interested in two large cup holders with a flush mount 12 volt cigarette socket for charging devices?

I have heard some early 80's owners would like a model. If someone can take measurements I will make a prototype.

You need to make the holder to the size of a beer can and the slot with a cage inside to keep various smokes from falling through.

Cupholders are for sissies.

@honk I have beer can inserts just for you. But the smokes go in your mouth.

How bout some that get yer cup all up on that there dash?

@Yellowknifer I do have some measurements via another mud member helping me today. One measurement I still need is the "height" of the center console in a 80-82 fj40. Basically how tall does it need to be before I add a bend to take it back to bolt holes under the console.

Possible model 3. One large cup holder with insert, and a bose color speaker cut out. @ntsaint @Living in the Past

I will try and do one with the bose and two cup holders for a possible model 4 ntsaint.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 12.16.08 PM.png

Here is two large cup holders with plastic inserts, and a bose speaker slot (no insert, would rest on floor to allow music to travel). I will have to take some measurements of the transmission tunnel space to see if it would work. It is 9" from the edge of the console to the furthest edge of the cup holder. Can someone tell me if 9" from the center console towards the dash, leaves enough room for proper gear shifts?

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 12.30.49 PM.png

Last edited:
@ntsaint If I remove the large inserts, and make the holes a little smaller I can keep it further away from the shifter, but the drinks will sit on the floor (how I have model 2 above). If the two large holes with inserts and a speaker cut out are too close to the transmission, that is an option.

I am interested in a later model option, but my truck is in pieces. sorry.

I think 9" would be pushing the space and shift lever. I moved it back about 1" which means it will be closer to the center console and seat edges, but give you a little more space by the shifter. @ntsaint Want me to cut a two cup out or one cup out? What are you thinking.

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 12.57.52 PM.png

@corleykj Whatever you think FUNCTIONS better and works better. I've never laid hands on it so it's your call.

I will be satisfied with either a 1cup+speaker or 2cup+speaker holder, as long as it has the plastic cupholder insert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom