Fire Extinguisher and where you mount it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
I had a 5 lb ABC Kiddie under the driver's seat but I pulled it out today to check it and the pressure charge was in the red, almost empty. Time to replace.

There's a lot of different extinguisher agent chemistry that really doesn't say what's best for an off-road vehicle.

I want to get a smaller one and mount where more accessible, probably a 2.5lb Amerex since they have all-metal valves.

What are y'all using and where do you stick it ? 😁

Thanks

I have 2 x 1Kg (2.2lbs) just in front of the seats - seems a good place, never bothered me there. They are probably a bit small but better trhan nothing.
20230711_103024[1].jpg

Good thread. I’m going to build a mount for my fire extinguisher as well.

After my custom wiring harness you can never be too safe.

I carry a 2.5lb Halon 1211 extinguisher on a Wit's End front seat bracket. Technically Halon 1211 is a no-no for the layman to carry because it operates by displacing (A LOT) of oxygen, but when it comes to possibly having to put out a vehicle fire where there could be multiple fuel sources for the flames, I made sure I have what'll be most effective. Caveat is, what makes Halon dangerous is if someone uses it in an enclosed area they'll risk suffocation, but risk of that is nearly nonexistent when you're considering a vehicle fire outside.

My house, garage and shop are all ABC dry chem. Messy but much safer when used in an enclosed environment.

Mine is under the driver’s seat in such a way that the head of it pokes out. Easy to grab and I make sure it’s ALWAYS in the same exact spot. There’s other stuff down there - tire deflator, tool bag, etc, that keep the extinguisher in my favored spot. I’ve locked it into memory now.

I ordered the “early 60” Wit’s End bracket for my 82 60 hoping that would be a cool solution, but the location of the mounting holes, which are supposed to use the seat bracket bolts, were entirely incorrect. I tested it in an 87 60 and it worked perfectly for that. Wit’s end also has a “late 60” bracket - if the early bracket works on late trucks, I have no idea what the late bracket would work for.

It’s a cool idea but buyer beware on fitment. I couldn’t do a return so I just gave it to my buddy. Works fine for him.

I carry 2 abc extinguishers. One is a 2.5lb on a mount behind the center console for super easy access and then I also have a 5lb in the rear.

IMG_9252.jpeg

IMG_9411.jpeg

IMG_4951.jpeg

IMG_9797.jpeg

Not the best pictures, but you get the idea. Also, for the ABC type extinguisher, you should remove it and rotated it back and forth for a few minutes every month or so. This keeps the solids from settling at the bottom and becoming hard….or so I was told by a fireman.

Just a heads up as their bracket was mentioned several times as I was expecting:
SEARCH MUD FOR ISSUES THREADS BEFORE ORDERING FROM WIT'S END!!!!

Just a heads up as their bracket was mentioned several times as I was expecting:
SEARCH MUD FOR ISSUES THREADS BEFORE ORDERING FROM WIT'S END!!!!

Additionally, I stated above that the "early 60 Series" fire extinguisher bracket from them does not fit early 60 Series trucks - at least not the bracket I received. Ordering issues aside it just doesn't work.

I’m no expert…but I bought my extinguishers at a firehouse supply store and the person that sold then to me was in a firefighter uniform…so I was assuming they worked as a firefighter…
Anyways they told me that in a vehicle application (where there is vibration) the solids will sink to the bottom of the extinguisher and can solidify/get packed into the bottom with all the vibration. This ‘may’ cause the extinguisher to not operate properly. He recommended taking the extinguishers out of their mounts once a month or so and holding them upside down for a minute or two to help prevent this.
Again, I’m no expert…I just figured he knew what he was talking about?

Mine is under the driver seat. Its just a normal 3 or 4 lb kidde. I tell myself its just loose in there rolling around to keep it mixed up but its really just not mounted because i havent gotten to it yet.

Theres a hilarious video of a guy at a drift event with a car fire and he pulls out his extinguisher and nothing comes out. Dont be like that guy

Mine is under the driver seat. Its just a normal 3 or 4 lb kidde. I tell myself its just loose in there rolling around to keep it mixed up but its really just not mounted because i havent gotten to it yet.

Don't let it roll under the brake pedal.... ;)

Don't let it roll under the brake pedal.... ;)
hahaha its behind that little hump but yeah youre right I need to make a little mount for it its on "the list"

I’m no expert…but I bought my extinguishers at a firehouse supply store and the person that sold then to me was in a firefighter uniform…so I was assuming they worked as a firefighter…
Anyways they told me that in a vehicle application (where there is vibration) the solids will sink to the bottom of the extinguisher and can solidify/get packed into the bottom with all the vibration. This ‘may’ cause the extinguisher to not operate properly. He recommended taking the extinguishers out of their mounts once a month or so and holding them upside down for a minute or two to help prevent this.
Again, I’m no expert…I just figured he knew what he was talking about?
Yeah he's right. I'm not sure about the theory of it but you should shake it up every now and then. If it's really firm hit it with a rubber mallet to loosen it all up.
I try and do it when I remember. Which isn't that often! But you can definitely tell if you haven't done it in a while.

All good info. Yes, compaction is an issue. Rubber mallet every now and then and you'll be fine.

Icom 5100 - very nice radio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom