Finally!!!! Saginaw PS pump conversion kit for FJ60s!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do remember PayPal-ing money to the "diditrain@gmail dot com" email address and hoping for the best, but he came through and shipped my adapter right away. But that was 2-3 years ago. I'm not sure if he's still on the forum, and I don't recall his username. If you search this thread, you'll find him. Click his avatar, and see when he was last active on the forum and you should be able to see if he's been around as of late. Every part you need is listed in this thread and there are also step by step instructions. My advice would be to do it. Made a tremendous improvement to my FJ-60 steering! Was a very simple process, and very simple install. Good luck!

@BigRiggs "Last seen 24 minutes ago" Are you still around and making these Saginaw pump cap adapters? I'd buy one!

I got my kit from @orangefj45 the other day after a lot of consideration ( I really like keeping things stock). Nice kit and really simple to do. I did order the pump through O'Reillys (#732-2137, you have to make sure to get the MP3 line and not the MPP). I was almost done with pressing the pulley on when I realized I put it on backwards and kinda beat the pump up trying to take it back off so I'm starting fresh with new pump and pulley. @BigRiggs are you still making the caps? I'd like to get one if so.

@BigRiggs

If you’re not interested in making the cap adapters I’d love to take that on. Happy to chat about it over PM.

Last edited:
@BigRiggs

If you’re not interested in making the cap adapters I’d love to take that on. Happy to chat about it over PM.
If you want one of these little plastic cap adapters you can PM me here on MUD and then you can venmo or paypal $15 with your address and I'll print you one and pay for the packaging/shipping. I will PM you to let you know its on the way/tracking. Thanks for the interest.

If you want one of these little plastic cap adapters you can PM me here on MUD and then you can venmo or paypal $15 with your address and I'll print you one and pay for the packaging/shipping. I will PM you to let you know its on the way/tracking. Thanks for the interest.
I did this earlier today and its on the way to me a few hours later. Thank you.

Just order my kit and a whole mess of other parts from @orangefj45
Thank you for the order, i appreciate you sending business our way.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Question I have not seen answered in this thread so far. For this new Saginaw, do we use Power steering fluid or ATF/Dexron (recommended for the original pump in the manual)? I have seen the question asked before and folks went either way.
I asked this question as well and was told not to over think this and use which ever I wanted to. I used Lucas Power Steering Fluid mainly because that's what my Silverado with the same basic pump calls for. It works great and the mod works well. Good Luck

Here is the new pump with the kit and since I was in there a JimC smog pump replacement pulley kit. Both were super easy to install. Just take your time and don't put the pulley on the pump backwards! I'm waiting for the thread sealant in the pump plugs to cure then filling her up with fluid.

image0 (1).jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Multiple people have accidentally installed the pulley backwards, and having received my kit, I can see why. It is convex on one side, concave on the other which positions the hub out of center. What is the right orientation for installation so I only press it on one time? The answer is Concave side pointing to the front of the truck. Not my pic but you get the intent.
1704742317603.png

Last edited:
I am working through putting my 60 back together and have come to the power steering portion of the project. I bought this kit and have been thrilled with it so far. I do have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me answer. I read through the thread multiple times and didn't see an answer for these:

1. High Pressure Line- I want to reinstall the new line from the kit exactly how the factory line was installed. That means the brass fitting on the 90 degree bend side goes into the steering gear and the silver fitting going into the back of the pump, correct (picture attached)? I ask because as I thread the brass fitting into the gear by hand, it seems to get hung up after a couple of turns. I'm nervous about stripping threads inside the gear.
2. Do either of the lines require o rings? I don't see any o rings on the factory HP line that I removed, but want to be sure before torqueing down. Some pictures I've seen in this thread seem to show an o ring on the HP connection into the back of the pump.
3. The low pressure line supplied with the kit... is that intended to replace both the long, low pressure line that connects from the hard cooling line to the bottom of the pump as well as the piece that connects from hard cooling line to the steering gear (picture attached)? The kit comes with 4 clamps on this LP hose, which leads me to believe that LP line is for both sections and that I need to cut to size.

steering2.jpg

steering1.jpg

Silly question I know but where is the O-ring installed between the high pressure fitting and the new Saginaw pump? I could stretch it over the lip of the flare fitting but what I read suggests it is supposed to be squished between the flare and the pump. I am confused because flare fittings don’t usually have o-rings.

IMG_2339.jpeg

IMG_2340.jpeg

IMG_2338.jpeg

I am working through putting my 60 back together and have come to the power steering portion of the project. I bought this kit and have been thrilled with it so far. I do have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can help me answer. I read through the thread multiple times and didn't see an answer for these:

1. High Pressure Line- I want to reinstall the new line from the kit exactly how the factory line was installed. That means the brass fitting on the 90 degree bend side goes into the steering gear and the silver fitting going into the back of the pump, correct (picture attached)? I ask because as I thread the brass fitting into the gear by hand, it seems to get hung up after a couple of turns. I'm nervous about stripping threads inside the gear.
2. Do either of the lines require o rings? I don't see any o rings on the factory HP line that I removed, but want to be sure before torqueing down. Some pictures I've seen in this thread seem to show an o ring on the HP connection into the back of the pump.
3. The low pressure line supplied with the kit... is that intended to replace both the long, low pressure line that connects from the hard cooling line to the bottom of the pump as well as the piece that connects from hard cooling line to the steering gear (picture attached)? The kit comes with 4 clamps on this LP hose, which leads me to believe that LP line is for both sections and that I need to cut to size.

View attachment 3538360

View attachment 3538361
You likely figured it all out but:
1. Brass to gearbox I think, silver to pump
2. yes you should use am o-ring with the pump, mine came with one, trying to sort out how to install it correctly
3. Yeah that is low pressure replacement and return line and clamps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom