Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LIGHTS & RACKS & TRAYS

Lots of miscellaneous projects to update! First off, the LED light bar. Some may notice I removed the big round lights I had on there before. Just got bored with the look. Been wanting to install a giant light bar in the opening of the AOE bumper. Noticed Amazon had a really good deal on a 30" bar. $150 shipped and Prime eligible? SOLD! Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF2RCXA/?tag=ihco-20

The AOE bumper needed some tabs so I picked up a pair from here: http://shop.weldtab.com/category.sc...B350B3AC05CD4D605.m1plqscsfapp05?categoryId=4

Good thing I bought a welder. Makes little projects like this easy and gives me a chance to practice my welding. These welds didn't come out pretty, but the thing is solid. Oh, and bright as heck too.

13931847082_191c90cd59_h.jpg

The only angle where 35s look big on my truck

13955016853_41b32f1c2e_h.jpg

13931846432_579ef3cdd6_h.jpg

And here's better pics of the Gamiviti gutter mounts and load bars. Bought some plastic end caps to give it a finished look.

13954946845_713b56f054_h.jpg

13931856886_b204f3b689_h.jpg

13931856316_27fe76ae9d_h.jpg

Better pics of the jerry can basket DIY kit from 4x4Labs. I'm running a 5g can and a 2.5g can so that dog can still stick his head out the window. The cans are secured with the some d-rings that I welded on myself.

13931848532_505ddb0f36_h.jpg

13955022373_b5a5b69f80_h.jpg

And lastly, my drawer slide for the Pelican cooler! This thing has been on my to-do list for a long time. Didn't really want to make it out of wood so I waited until I bought the welder. Metal is heavy, but it will last forever. It was a lot of work. I don't feel like unbolting the whole thing to paint so I may leave it raw and rusty for now - I kinda like the look!

The slides are Ryadon 3600, 30" long. Purchased them from drawerslides.com They are rated for 500lbs so they're extremely stout. They're also locking. They lock in the closed position and lock in the fully extended position, perfect for this application.

The base of the tray is 14ga, the side walls are 10ga and the angle supports are 14ga I believe. Basically all the cheap scrap pieces at a local metal shop. Spent about $38 in metal including the cutting. Not too bad! I'm really happy with the way this turned out. Welded everything up myself including the d-rings. It's rock solid and brings the ice chest out the perfect length - easy to reach in and grab stuff without having to climb in the truck. And good thing too cause these Pelican ice chests weight a ton, even when empty.

13955025373_b5f93af98e_h.jpg

13954954755_c62556ecf0_h.jpg

13931853912_f1ce29b3d2_h.jpg

13931852962_ccc478a86d_h.jpg

13955402464_f87e17c63f_h.jpg

13931843211_97eca2ddde_h.jpg

The only welds pretty enough to show a closeup :flipoff2:

13931842291_8334931656_h.jpg

Damn 30" for $150, Rigid better rethink their pricing model.....

That's what I'm saying. I know Rigid is pure quality, but I could buy 8 of these for the price of one Rigid 30" bar. For the amount of time that this light bar will actually get turned on, no thanks.

Just read this thread from start to finish (yes, all in one sitting, took several hours of drooling over the pics :)). Great work man, I like your truck; what's the status of the 37s? Coming any time soon?

Just read this thread from start to finish (yes, all in one sitting, took several hours of drooling over the pics :)). Great work man, I like your truck; what's the status of the 37s? Coming any time soon?

Thanks! You read the whole thing? Impressive :) 37s, I think I'm gonna wait a bit longer on them. I would have had them already if it weren't for the 4Runner getting a lift and new wheels/tires. Also, I'm waiting to regear first. My 5.29s were shipped off for a cryo treatment, then will be getting installed. The other thing I need to figure out is tire clearance. I don't want to lift the truck any higher. I like the height it's at now, so I plan on cutting and trimming the fenders to clear the tires. So I need to figure out a plan for that as well.

those welds look damn good for a beginner........

Thanks! Maybe one of these days I'll be able to do some work on the frame/suspension. You know, the stuff that can kill me if a weld fails!

LIGHTS & RACKS & TRAYS

Lots of miscellaneous projects to update! First off, the LED light bar. Some may notice I removed the big round lights I had on there before. Just got bored with the look. Been wanting to install a giant light bar in the opening of the AOE bumper. Noticed Amazon had a really good deal on a 30" bar. $150 shipped and Prime eligible? SOLD! Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF2RCXA/?tag=ihco-20

The AOE bumper needed some tabs so I picked up a pair from here: http://shop.weldtab.com/category.sc...B350B3AC05CD4D605.m1plqscsfapp05?categoryId=4

Good thing I bought a welder. Makes little projects like this easy and gives me a chance to practice my welding. These welds didn't come out pretty, but the thing is solid. Oh, and bright as heck too.

13931847082_191c90cd59_h.jpg

The only angle where 35s look big on my truck

13955016853_41b32f1c2e_h.jpg

13931846432_579ef3cdd6_h.jpg

And here's better pics of the Gamiviti gutter mounts and load bars. Bought some plastic end caps to give it a finished look.

13954946845_713b56f054_h.jpg

13931856886_b204f3b689_h.jpg

13931856316_27fe76ae9d_h.jpg

Better pics of the jerry can basket DIY kit from 4x4Labs. I'm running a 5g can and a 2.5g can so that dog can still stick his head out the window. The cans are secured with the some d-rings that I welded on myself.

13931848532_505ddb0f36_h.jpg

13955022373_b5a5b69f80_h.jpg

And lastly, my drawer slide for the Pelican cooler! This thing has been on my to-do list for a long time. Didn't really want to make it out of wood so I waited until I bought the welder. Metal is heavy, but it will last forever. It was a lot of work. I don't feel like unbolting the whole thing to paint so I may leave it raw and rusty for now - I kinda like the look!

The slides are Ryadon 3600, 30" long. Purchased them from drawerslides.com They are rated for 500lbs so they're extremely stout. They're also locking. They lock in the closed position and lock in the fully extended position, perfect for this application.

The base of the tray is 14ga, the side walls are 10ga and the angle supports are 14ga I believe. Basically all the cheap scrap pieces at a local metal shop. Spent about $38 in metal including the cutting. Not too bad! I'm really happy with the way this turned out. Welded everything up myself including the d-rings. It's rock solid and brings the ice chest out the perfect length - easy to reach in and grab stuff without having to climb in the truck. And good thing too cause these Pelican ice chests weight a ton, even when empty.

13955025373_b5f93af98e_h.jpg

13954954755_c62556ecf0_h.jpg

13931853912_f1ce29b3d2_h.jpg

13931852962_ccc478a86d_h.jpg

13955402464_f87e17c63f_h.jpg

13931843211_97eca2ddde_h.jpg

The only welds pretty enough to show a closeup :flipoff2:

13931842291_8334931656_h.jpg

Dang, master welder now are we?!? Looks great man.

And FYI for folks, the light bar is now $140 Prime, $14 less than what I paid just last week. How can you say no to this?!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF2RCXA/?tag=ihco-20

Hey Jose, Did you think of any other way to mount the 30" to the space in the AOE without welding those mounting tabs?
Also, any way you could post up some pics on how you wired the whole thing? I know I'm asking for a lot but your thread has pretty much been the basis for how I'm doing mods to my 80 and I admire all the work you do! If only i were as competent as you! :clap:

Hey Jose, Did you think of any other way to mount the 30" to the space in the AOE without welding those mounting tabs?
Also, any way you could post up some pics on how you wired the whole thing? I know I'm asking for a lot but your thread has pretty much been the basis for how I'm doing mods to my 80 and I admire all the work you do! If only i were as competent as you! :clap:

Thanks for the kind words :cheers: Yeah, I looked at few options before deciding to weld the tabs. If welding isn't an option, you could make it work by bolting it to the bumper as shown in this pic. You could drill where the Xs are. The upper X lets the mount sit flat, but the light bar ends up sitting right up against the grill. You could move it forward to the lower X, but then the mount is sitting on the curved edge and not perfectly flat. Either would work if you're okay with how the light and the mounting bases sit. I just liked how it looked when elevated on the light tabs.

noncwZu.jpg

For wiring, I had it easy since I just used the existing harness from when I had the round lights. This light bar actually came with a full harness, relay and switch which I didn't use - most China light bars don't include this. Wiring is simple just like any other set of lights. Ran the wire through the grill and mounted my relay here:

9279975734_e6f0e64794_h.jpg

The power wire is fused at my Blue Sea block:

9298070130_e21684c08c_h.jpg

Switch is in my dash here:

9279974850_1ec9c5e302_h.jpg

I tell you once again man. Bad ass build on this truck dude! I don't think id be doing any wheeling in that beautiful 4runner anytime soon though. At least not for the next two weeks!!! ;)

Thanks! And that's only cause I haven't shown you all the other welds. Or they've been hidden via the grinder :D

And FYI for folks, the light bar is now $140 Prime, $14 less than what I paid just last week. How can you say no to this?!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF2RCXA/?tag=ihco-20

Hey Jose...
Awesome build man! I just picked these up... what a great deal!

Thanks for sharing the info and keep up the good work!

Carlos

congratulations and thank you for this thread.. lots of info!

Man I love that slide out with the Pelican box! Costco has them for sale now I have been jonsing to buy one! :zilla:

So are you selling the old lights? Hint Hint!

I tell you once again man. Bad ass build on this truck dude! I don't think id be doing any wheeling in that beautiful 4runner anytime soon though. At least not for the next two weeks!!! ;)

Thanks! Yeah I don't think so either. And if I ask the wife, I think it will be a little more than 2 weeks!

Damn dude the truck is looking good. Can't wait to see it at the Lakes Basin trip!

Thanks man, really looking forward to that trip!

Hey Jose...
Awesome build man! I just picked these up... what a great deal!

Thanks for sharing the info and keep up the good work!

Carlos

Nice deal! Looks like the price has been fluctuation lately. You simply cannot go wrong with these light bars at this price.

Definitely post up a review of those in the lights forum and put a link here J!

Will do! I haven't used them much but I will tell you they are BRIGHT. They put some serious light on the road. The real test would be to have them side-by-side with a 30" Rigid bar and compare the light output of both.

congratulations and thank you for this thread.. lots of info!

Thanks!

Man I love that slide out with the Pelican box! Costco has them for sale now I have been jonsing to buy one! :zilla:

Costco? No way, I had no idea! How much they going for, and do they have both colors?

Thank you for the tip. I bought one (and a couple of smaller ones, too)... I hope to get it installed soon.

Love the work you're doing - keep it up!

Thanks man! Nice to hear, I think you'll be pleased with the lights :)

So are you selling the old lights? Hint Hint!

Ha - I think I'm gonna hoard them for the time being. Never know when I may need them for another project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom