Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you foresee any issue with the tie rod contacting the frame end Panhard mount? Or does the axle move forward enough on compression to miss it?

Looks great, been thinking about this mod myself quite a bit.
I should clarify. It doesn't contact the mount, it just touches the panhard itself, as circled in this pic. I'm not worried about it because it only happens at absolute full turn and it's not restricting the steering radius at all.

If I go taller lift and/or a 3-link, then this won't even be an issue since the panhard will be raised and have a new rod that's not curved.

CkcgPxA.jpg

PHOTOCHOPPING

What says the masses? Get some aluminum rock rings welded on? Started daydreaming a bit today and did a quick Photoshop hack job of what it would look like. They would be painted the same bronze colors as the wheels....I think.

Still not sure, just throwing out ideas for schnitz and giggles

NnWemwY.jpg

Go slightly thinner, and make em a beadlock.

Personally I like the look and function of bead locks.

I have been dreaming of getting my stock wheels moded with a bead lock rings. In reality I probably do not need them though I am only low psi in the snow maybe 4-5 times a year.

These are the rock rings I was looking at: http://innerairlock.com/rock-rings/

I don't know much about converting wheels over to beadlocks, what's the typical cost of this? Not sure I'd ever need to go that low, but I think I'd rather just buy a full set...

If this is a DD or if you drive your 80 a lot then you may not want to run beadlocks. They may leak air on a regular basis. Depends on the types of trails you go on. I run 16x10 inch wheel and I have run as low as 12 psi and have not had an issue blowing beads. I take her on mostly 3-4 rated trails out of 5 and have not felt the need for beadlocks .

I like the rock ring look. I would not color match it though. I like the way it breaks it up ya know. I actually really liked the color of the wheels right before you painted them.kind of an Aluminum finish. I may try plastidipping why wheels.

just my two scents

Oh and do you have full flex pics with the wheels turned so you can see how much the steering rod contacts the pan hard bar if any?

I may upgrade my steering soon and like this idea

I'm not that familiar either. Looks like most companies charge $200/wheel for converting over to beadlock.
So, the rock ring kit you were looking at is only $200 I think, so that route seems best for your uses...

If this is a DD or if you drive your 80 a lot then you may not want to run beadlocks. They may leak air on a regular basis. Depends on the types of trails you go on. I run 16x10 inch wheel and I have run as low as 12 psi and have not had an issue blowing beads. I take her on mostly 3-4 rated trails out of 5 and have not felt the need for beadlocks .

I like the rock ring look. I would not color match it though. I like the way it breaks it up ya know. I actually really liked the color of the wheels right before you painted them.kind of an Aluminum finish. I may try plastidipping why wheels.

just my two scents

Yeah that's my reason for thinking of going with a rock ring instead. This isn't a DD, but does see more highway use than hardcore trail riding. And I think you're right about leaving the ring a contrasting color. We'll see :)

Oh and do you have full flex pics with the wheels turned so you can see how much the steering rod contacts the pan hard bar if any?

I may upgrade my steering soon and like this idea

I don't yet, but I'll see what I can do in my driveway. Just thinking outloud though...wouldn't the tie rod and the panhard pretty much move together as the suspension flexes?

I'm not that familiar either. Looks like most companies charge $200/wheel for converting over to beadlock.
So, the rock ring kit you were looking at is only $200 I think, so that route seems best for your uses...

Yeah, $200ish for the aluminum rings. I've seen some nice beadlocks sells for $350~400 a wheels so if I ever need them, I think I'd just get new wheels and sell these. But for now rock rings serve my needs better as I've already taken a few chunks out of the aluminum on these.

Now I need to find somebody to weld them on! Anybody have some local shops they know of that won't charge a crazy fee to weld these on?

I got a guy...

Pm'd you.

Yeah it feels exactly the same since you're not really doing anything custom and are using OEM steering arms, just moving the tie rod up to the front. I measured the arms yesterday and the front mounting point is almost 1.5" taller than the rear arms.

Thank you sir!

Thanks for the insight and parts links!, ordering my set up this week! Looks like I can run this and keep my 2.5" lift with my isuzu swap. Way cheaper than a 4" slee! Thanks again!

Pretty sure none are DOT approved and I do know two Jeepers that have gotten tickets for them. Just an FYI

Trail Ready and Hutchinson sell DOT approved bead lock wheels that fit our 80's. There are probably others.

Yes wheels. Not the bead locks by themselves.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The bead locks are completely integrated into the wheel. Unless you're referring only to a retro-fit onto an existing wheel.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The bead locks are completely integrated into the wheel. Unless you're referring only to a retro-fit onto an existing wheel.

Exactly what I'm talking about. All the rage in the Jeep world. Both vehicles I was referring to had their wheels modified to take the bead locks. Both went on the same trip to Death Valley. Both got tickets when they stopped in Barstow.

Very alert officer. Most would probably be able to sneak by just by pointing out the DOT marking the wheels came with pre-modification.

One of the guys in my local club is removing his non-DOT approved Trail Ready beadlocks from his truck because of the potential hassle on trips to the States.

Oh it wasn't just for those :p

They got hit for wheels too wide, no mud flaps, tint too dark. There were two other things but I can't remember what. All I thought was, "what a dick!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom