Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Snow.... We can only hope that happens this year!

Those should do pretty well given there paddle style tread, I've found our rigs are really too heavy to float...

When really in need I've chained up all 4 to "do work".

Finally got the driver's side slider done. Now I can get to the rocker chop on the passenger side. Main slider is 3/16" 2x6 plank with a kickout in 1 1/2" sch. 40 steel (1.9" OD, 0.15" wall).

21908643464_993b2e5946_h.jpg

22542534941_9d968cb08d_h.jpg

22505414176_5368c14a22_h.jpg

22344555229_4055f0227f_h.jpg

With no scab plates on the frame I would add some good 1/4" gussets if I were you.

You need to alphabetize your index slacker. It's so difficult to look up what you've done so I can just copy it instead of researching it myself... :flipoff2:

Damn those look heavy.

No transfer case /tranny armor????

Curious your thoughts to the square front corner on the outer hoop...

Seems it's asking to reach out and snag vs slide...

Nice taper tho on the the hoop, I like that idea!

-A

With no scab plates on the frame I would add some good 1/4" gussets if I were you.
Nice work. I'm also a fan of protection without loosing clearance. Or in your case gaining. What do you plan on painting them with? And I'm with cruisermatt about adding some support. Can't wait to see your inspiring pics of them in action. Keep up the great work.

Yeah I actually have a few gussets already cut out ready to get welded in. Those will go in before paint.

You need to alphabetize your index slacker. It's so difficult to look up what you've done so I can just copy it instead of researching it myself... :flipoff2:

That is a terrible idea! Simply because there's so many ways to label something. Chronological order makes much more sense. Like this post...do I call it Rock sliders? Sliders? Rocker chop? Under-door protection? :flipoff2:

Damn those look heavy.

No such thing as to heavy when it comes to something important like rock sliders.

No transfer case /tranny armor????

Still on my to-do list! Luckily I have enough ground clearance that it hasn't been an issue yet.

Curious your thoughts to the square front corner on the outer hoop...

Seems it's asking to reach out and snag vs slide...

Nice taper tho on the the hoop, I like that idea!

-A

Well it was a little bit of a design choice, and a little bit due to trying to get the taper in real tight towards the front. Because of large bend radius of my die, I would have had to cut the tube at a super extreme angle to get it in that close which would have made it hard to weld. I really don't think that square corner will pose any issues but only time will tell. I think the flat face of the 2x6 plank from the front would be a bigger anchor than the square front corner of the kickout.

It's going to come down to how you drive, pick lines, and like to use them.

I generally set my slider mid front door since you can get good "eyes on" .

Nice job, when's the next trip?

It's going to come down to how you drive, pick lines, and like to use them.

I generally set my slider mid front door since you can get good "eyes on" .

Nice job, when's the next trip?

I wanna do Barrett Lake. You tell me when!

What type of flash are you using for your photos and are you using a light modifier?

Pick a Sunday or weekday in Nov and let's do it!

-A

You really wanna try Barrett in 1 day? Seems like we'll be rushing it the whole way through!

What type of flash are you using for your photos and are you using a light modifier?

These misc shots are all with a camera-mounted SB-900 with no light modifier. I really only use a light modifier when I'm shooting portraits, in which case I'll bring out the big guns :)

10261955915_e8daa0f712_h.jpg

Pick a Sunday or weekday in Nov and let's do it!

-A
Barrett and back home in a single shot is a very ambitious proposition that would leave very little time for actual enjoyment.

Barrett and back home in a single shot is a very ambitious proposition that would leave very little time for actual enjoyment.
I disagree. I think he would be bored going much slower now.

Wow that is neat! Got anymore pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom