Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the tips! I did refer to your build thread too as I knew you had done hydro assist. With regards to sluggishness, did you drill out the restrictor in the pump as detailed here in post #26? Hydro Assist:box and pump mods I probably should have done that while I had everything taken apart. But since my high pressure line has had a slow leak for some time, I think I'll drill this out whenever I replace the line.

Yes, I did drill it out.

Glad you like the Hydro. Just wait until you hit some tight trails and really put it to use.

Yes, I did drill it out.

Glad you like the Hydro. Just wait until you hit some tight trails and really put it to use.
So the restrictor on the fzj80 pump is the same as detailed on the marlin board? Did you notice any improvement?

@nukegoat

I did not originally drill it out, as some posts on Pirate said the 80 was different than the mini and did not need drilling.

Well, we were doing a mini at the same time we did mine, and it seemed to work better drilled, so I pulled mine out and drilled it a few days later. I don't recall what size bit, but I recall it was just one size up. It also was a pain to pull apart. I will have to look back in my posts to see if I detailed how the heck I did that.

@nukegoat

I did not originally drill it out, as some posts on Pirate said the 80 was different than the mini and did not need drilling.

Well, we were doing a mini at the same time we did mine, and it seemed to work better drilled, so I pulled mine out and drilled it a few days later. I don't recall what size bit, but I recall it was just one size up. It also was a pain to pull apart. I will have to look back in my posts to see if I detailed how the heck I did that.
So... no improvement?

Can't say I drove it more than 100 feet before I drilled it out.

The fluid movement was better after the change.

I have faith there was Improvement. :rolleyes:

Can't say I drove it more than 100 feet before I drilled it out.

The fluid movement was better after the change.

I have faith there was Improvement. :rolleyes:
Good enough for me

SLICK ROCK RAIN RUN

Had a pretty epic trip to Slick Rock yesterday. Last time @AMMO and I ran this trail we breezed through it in about 2hrs. This time it took over 6.5hrs! For starters, we had a stock JK and a stock FJC. Neither of those guys had ever gone wheeling before. Then it was pouring rain. Even hailed for a bit. The trail actually transformed into a waterfall the whole way. Huge, deep puddles, constant river of water running down the trail. Made it a bit fun actually. Then the 3rd gen blew his rear diff somehow and I had to tug him out in FWD. That was not fun. He ended up getting towed home. 80 did great. Picked some lines I hadn't tried before and made full use of the sliders and dented the rear quarter (the part I plan on cutting away).

22078889029_4b15002610_h.jpg

In this pic you can see the new slider I'm working on. 2x6 plank welded directly to the frame.

22276221911_d1181baaf7_h.jpg

22077987108_c0ff954f18_h.jpg

22239669196_6c7d1b1e96_h.jpg

21642999294_2ddcdd051a_h.jpg

22276214051_4e011613cd_h.jpg

22239663186_bd1539ffa7_h.jpg

21644679663_270f8e3938_h.jpg

22077681390_43e94120c2_h.jpg

22276206221_65bf2101f8_h.jpg

21642987524_23d603ca1f_h.jpg

22239654006_e0bdd1539d_h.jpg

22239652456_fe51193c4e_h.jpg

22077672030_492ac0d591_h.jpg

22078859799_0f22a94fa1_h.jpg

22078857389_2508e0073b_h.jpg

22252862182_715a69f0fa_h.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing pics! You and @AMMO took 2 newbies on a run? I'd be intimidated following you guys Krispy Kreme!

Amazing pics! You and @AMMO took 2 newbies on a run? I'd be intimidated following you guys Krispy Kreme!

Couldn't make this one... I had a prior commitment to an 11yr olds b-day / Halloween party that absorbed my whole day and night.

Looks like a fun wet time, reminiscent of wheeling in OR.

-A

nice pics, as always!

Sweet! Asymmetric rocker chop actually sort of seems fine.

"Due to the rear axel motion of the stock suspension design it seems to be a adequate solution at this time"

:p

-A

Two quesitons on the 3rd gen 4Runner... Where was the failure point in the rear axle? And what color is that ?

Two quesitons on the 3rd gen 4Runner... Where was the failure point in the rear axle? And what color is that ?

The 4Runner color is Desert Sand by Monstaliner. We suspected it was the R&P, which was confirmed after he got it taken apart on Sunday :eek:

Fgk4k9Z.jpg

The 4Runner color is Desert Sand by Monstaliner. We suspected it was the R&P, which was confirmed after he got it taken apart on Sunday :eek:

Fgk4k9Z.jpg
God I am glad mine didn't look like that when I opened it.

What kind of sound did that thing make when it let loose?!

Jose,

Literally read this entire thread start to finish.. took four sessions over the course of three days but it was worth it! Incredibly inspiring build and your 80 is about as insane as they come. Incredible work and looking forward to seeing what it to come!

This truck NEEDS 39.5" Krawlers.

What kind of sound did that thing make when it let loose?!

It was a very loud clunk. The kind of sound that made you cringe because you realized you broke something important, it's pouring rain and you're still not out of the trail. He couldn't really go anywhere in FWD so I tugged him out the rest of the way. Couldn't even get up a slight incline on the dirt road out because it was muddy. Pulled the rear driveshaft and drove out to the paved roads. Because the axle shafts were still in it made a loud popping sound on every rotation.

Jose,

Literally read this entire thread start to finish.. took four sessions over the course of three days but it was worth it! Incredibly inspiring build and your 80 is about as insane as they come. Incredible work and looking forward to seeing what it to come!

Thanks man! Glad to know people still read this monster thread from the beginning :cheers:

So will you stay with the mud grapplers for your next tire?

I think so. I really have no complaints about them. They look good, the price is cheaper than most other tires and they grip really well. Only thing I haven't tried them in yet is snow so we'll see how they do. I really hated my Toyo MTs in the snow. I may go with 38s next time around. If I did more daily driving in this thing then I'd probably go with a different tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom