Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpg

Mine looks very much like yours.

Wasn't your 80 totaled?

Sorry-- Just picking up on tense.

Do you now have a new 80? Might have missed it.

Yeah, bits and pieces are actually on pallets to ship to new york(part out). I went back to Italian motorcycles....

I have not get it yet, if it doesn't work I guess I will sell it.

It was a replacement for a 7Xs like this one but the guy sold it..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444163589.729034.jpg

I found this one -cheap-online, from the picture it should be a direct fit.
View attachment 1143606w

View attachment 1143608View attachment 1143609

That looks pretty good! The one I got holds 1qt of fluid. And sorry I forgot about your PM. The reservoir didn't really need any modifications to make it work. You just have to figure out the mounting. And get adapters for the AN-to-barb fittings. The part number you show looks like it goes on the electronic ignition 1FZs, I just can't find that part for sale online. Looks like you lucked out!

Two gifts I got yesterday

@jose... No worries I pm the guy to buy the same one you got but he never replied and looking online found this one for a really good price so I went for it.

I have found several non-US parts randomly online and getting them for a good price.

I notice the electronic ignition 1FZs have that one but the brackets are on a different side? From the picture I got this one came out from the distributor 1Fzs (70) series just like ours?? So it should just bolt right in See pics they look different?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444166755.914123.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444167003.595636.jpg

Oh awesome. Bikes are fun. Have a great time. You are better off being here in the long run, IMO.

;)
Not much to fab/create on a bike like that though:( I make silly metallic sculptures now for fun...
image.jpg
Been messing with this in metal(king cobra skeleton). This is an actual skeleton(not something I made of metal)

Last edited:
After adding hydro assist, I missed the road feel you typically have. Never felt the twitchy feel. Off-roading on tight trails, I tend to pop in neutral, get 1000 rpm and it does great. At idle, it gets sluggish.

I added the 100 series fan on a switch in the cab that I can pop on that pushes air across the ford tranny cooler.

Before, I used a full lc tranny cooler and on trails with little air movement, I was having the power steering oil get HOT.

My point is your fan is well designed.

Great work man.

Keep working the kinks out!!!

Oh, and throw some 1/4 npt plugs (or whatever your box was tapped) in your trail bag. Sucks losing a hose on the trails. Plug the box and limp home on normal steering.

I had a ninja rock somehow hit a line and in 3 feet I lost all the oil.

Not much to fab/create on a bike like that though:( I make silly metallic sculptures now for fun...View attachment 1144046Been messing with this in metal(king cobra skeleton).
Thats good work, You really should fab up another 80, Bogger..! Your work Is comendable, and I'm not Impressed easily. A lot of the young 80 men benefit from seeing your work and others with similar levels of accomplishment. Some old men do too.. LOL :) Good Luck to you In whatever field you choose to practice your Art.

On stock suspension, we have a shock mounted in front that suppresses any feedback we get from the road. If you hit a curb, it slows the impact, thus reduces what you feel on the steering wheel.

With hydro assist, I don't get any of that. As a good friend told me... you basically have a huge ram suppressing any shock through the system.

Like you said, nothing twitchy about it. you just don't have a feel for the road anymore because any feedback is being hydraulically suppressed.

Oh, and throw some 1/4 npt plugs (or whatever your box was tapped) in your trail bag. Sucks losing a hose on the trails. Plug the box and limp home on normal steering.

I had a ninja rock somehow hit a line and in 3 feet I lost all the oil.

Thanks for the tips! I did refer to your build thread too as I knew you had done hydro assist. With regards to sluggishness, did you drill out the restrictor in the pump as detailed here in post #26? Hydro Assist:box and pump mods I probably should have done that while I had everything taken apart. But since my high pressure line has had a slow leak for some time, I think I'll drill this out whenever I replace the line.

Went out to the Toyota Meet at Prairie City this past weekend. Lots of cool rigs. Played around on the obstacles courses for a bit. Everything worked great (except for the few minutes that my 4x4 wouldn't engage, weird). I'm now realizing that hydro assist is a really nice thing to have. Also nice to be able to air down to 5psi without having to worry about popping a bead :cheers:

21925953149_522dff0c87_b.jpg

22086785506_02c98ef2d3_b.jpg

21926052709_fc71c1691e_b.jpg

22122946031_0a0dae1532_b.jpg

22086688546_e5cb0d6268_b.jpg

Looks like you crawlin 'n style
Awesome work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom