Engine Rebuilding options for S/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY said:
Could be he feels bad about the $2500 in OEM crap that is shipping out tomorrow :p

Huh?!? You saying he pushed you to buy stuff you didn't want? That's certainly not the Beno I know.

TrickyT said:
Huh?!? You saying he pushed you to buy stuff you didn't want? That's certainly not the Beno I know.

Hehe not the case at all. I'm replacing A LOT of stuff. He's been good about trying to find ways of saving me money ;)

UPDATE:

• Beno is shippingout everything today since my shipping department was too late getting his the shipping label. Boo! But at least its on the way now.
• The block is being decked as we speak and I asked Martin to take a picture of the first pass so that I can show off if there was any warping to the block.
• The reground crank comes back on Wed.
• The oil light switch [?] inside the oil pan should probably be replaced. There is another sensor that looks like a old GM dimmer switch that is pretty crappy looking. Gonna replace both.
• The intake manifolds are ready to go get ceramic coated but now I think I am going to coat the EGR tube a well. What say the peanut gallery?
• The rest of the gold heat tape comes in tomorrow so i can finish the canister.
• I dunno, I think I am missing stuff for sure :(

Good idea coating the EGR tube. It would be a shame to bolt that rusty thing up to your nice new alum/ceramic coated intake, like I did.

You might want to think about some oil catch cans to keep your TB and intake clean.

Yeah I need to go pick up the tube tomorrow. Oil catch can I will install AFTER I do the smog check (which is due today :bang:) Still thinking about the Lingenfelter OEM looking one.

As a side note...the head from BENO came in today and I will be dropping that off with Martin in the morning. I will be finishing the heat tape wrap tonight since that came in as well. Sloooowly coming together.

I passed CA smog with my catch cans installed. No Prob. They didn't even look at them.

Hmmm, I may try that.

In fact I just scotch taped my TRD SC CARB stickers under the hood for the inspection and removed them when done.

OH CRAP!!!
I don't have the CARB sticker!!!!!! CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!
Any ideas folks?

IIRC Beno re-routed his engine harness where it goes in or around the intake?? forget the details, are you planning on doing that? Wrapping the harness also?

Kernal said:
IIRC Beno re-routed his engine harness where it goes in or around the intake?? forget the details, are you planning on doing that? Wrapping the harness also?

This is correct. I unwrapped everything, rerouted as needed for all connectors and rewrapped.

But I don't have an EGR valve either.

Re-routing the harness? That would be interesting. I didn't pay enough attention to it to see if its possible. I have a spare wiring harness so I am just going to use whichever is in better condition. And yes, I am going to wrap it with this stuff: Thermo-Tec : Express Sleeves

I still need to order it.

This is correct. I unwrapped everything, rerouted as needed for all connectors and rewrapped.

But I don't have an EGR valve either.

Interesting. I'm also on the lookout for a high-temp wire loom. Unfortunately I can't remove the EGR. :bang:

Things I still need to do/get

To get:
• hi-temp wire loom for engine harness
• Thermo-tec sleeves for extra protection on EGR tube and engine harness
• ARP head bolts
• Cometic headgasket (waiting for Martin)
• Correct P/S cooler
• Trans input shaft seal
• The two sensors from the block
• Radiator fin repair tool for the condensor

To do:
• Ceramic coat the EGR tube, extra set of exhaust heat shields and intake
• Make bracket for P/S reservoir
• Steam clean engine bay and suspension
• Powdercoat the S/C parts
• Finish up the valve cover
• Finish taping the air filter canister
•*Trim fan shroud for new blade
• Install snorkel without wife noticing :p

Last edited:
OH CRAP!!!
I don't have the CARB sticker!!!!!! CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!
Any ideas folks?

I think I have a printout of the CARB Compliance letter. I will scan and send it to you when I get a chance.

Just hand it to the inspector at the time of the test.

Also, just a side note - the inspector was going to fail me on the visual inspection for the snorkel. He quoted that NO changes to the intake system are allowed. When he saw the TRD sticker he relaxed and let me pass. Stupid Smog Nazis!

Last edited:
I think I have a printout of the CARB Compliance letter. I will scan and send it to you when I get a chance.

Just hand it to the inspector at the time of the test.

Can you post a PDF of that CARB Compliance Letter here.

Here are pictures of the CARB stickers in question.
IMG00053-20100314-1824.jpg
TRD Supercharger underhood stickers 001 - Copy.jpg

I figure $2500 would net me bigger, heavier and more boxes. Oh well.

And is this the fan I want? The one that CDAN and TRICKY identified?
image-1920055169.jpg
image-3106128501.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom