Engine Rebuilding options for S/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The new Toyota pistons 1.00mm oversized
image-3938577142.jpg
image-3260429722.jpg
image-174337145.jpg

What I believe the guys here in Arizona found was that the fans from the 91-92 80's cooled. Maybe one of those guys will chime in.

The fan CDAN recommends is from a 3.0l 4Runner and requires some trimming of the lower shroud to prevent interference.

Do those oversize pistons have some sort of high tech coating the originals didn't have? Is the fan shown in the box of parts the original part number or a 4Runner fan? What's the difference, blade size and pitch?

Do those oversize pistons have some sort of high tech coating the originals didn't have?

No. I decided to reign back how crazy I was going to get with the build since I'm not going to be hot rodding it.

Is the fan shown in the box of parts the original part number or a 4Runner fan? What's the difference, blade size and pitch?

It should be the 4Runner blade. I don't recall the differences. I will try and find the thread and update this post.

I may have some better pics of those stickers. I'll have to look. I seem to recall someone sending me pics of new/unused ones. Those would prob be better to reproduce than the ones I posted. I will check and post them up if I can find them.

As far as your fan goes, I have had no issues with cooling using the TRD SC ringed fan with a Blue Hub fan clutch but I have a brass radiator, hood vents, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds & air box. From what I read in other threads, that fan does cool better than mine.

So the timing cover has some corrosion at the water pump. It's not bad enough to effect the gasket but it's there. I could anodize the cover to prevent any further corrosion.
image-1765300958.jpg

Hmmm, I may try that.

OH CRAP!!!
I don't have the CARB sticker!!!!!! CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!
Any ideas folks?

Mine did not have one either, so I asked my local dealer, and they were able to call TRD and get one. I also keep a copy of the CARB printout in my glovebox.

Also a good idea is to place the sticker(s) on the firewall instead of the hood, should you need to replace your hood due to an accident. If the firewall gets damaged, well the truck is toast anyway.

:cheers:

Steve

Can the water pump area be smoothed out with a grinder/buffer? Sorry if I missed it, what was done to the rods?

Can the water pump area be smoothed out with a grinder/buffer? Sorry if I missed it, what was done to the rods?

The surface area of the water pump itself is fine. But the corrosion is kinda getting close to where the gasket would lay.

For the rods just new brass inserts on the wrist pin side and then bore on the crank side to match the new oversize bearings.

The idea with matching them is to just weigh them all and then grind down material to get them all to match the lightest rod. Its normally a few grams here and there. Not much work at all.

A bit odd to have corrosion there. Anti-freeze typically has corrosion inhibitors in it to prevent that. I wouldn't worry about the cover, but I'd look around for any other corrosion issues (oil/water cooler).

The surface area of the water pump itself is fine. But the corrosion is kinda getting close to where the gasket would lay.

For the rods just new brass inserts on the wrist pin side and then bore on the crank side to match the new oversize bearings.

The idea with matching them is to just weigh them all and then grind down material to get them all to match the lightest rod. Its normally a few grams here and there. Not much work at all.

That is flashy!

Hey if it was available in black and just as effective, I would have rocked it :flipoff2:

Has anyone posted real numbers showing lowered temperatures for this mod? I'm just curious about what the quantitative improvement is, aside from the cool bling factor of course.

Has anyone posted real numbers showing lowered temperatures for this mod? I'm just curious about what the quantitative improvement is, aside from the cool bling factor of course.

Yeah there was a thread two years ago that touched on just that. I believe it was FIRSTTOY that first did the mod and then reported his findings. Convinced me enough to go ahead to do it.

Here is a pic of his setup back then. It may look different now since it doesn't look like he wrapped the whole canister:
4722394902_186301c8a7.jpg

Takes a long time to do it right and NOT make it look stupid but for a sub $30 mod I think it will be beneficial. One of the ex-JPL guys that work with me recommended it when he saw it. Works for me :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom