Emptying Grease Tubes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
This is such a ridiculous question but I can't find an easy answer. How do I quickly empty a full grease tube? It's birf overhaul time and instead of 1lb tubs, all I could source was tubes of grease. Short of scooping it out with a 12" spatula, is there a quick way to empty a tube without pumping my grease gun 1,034 times? Can I use a caulk gun?

Even with the fitting removed, it only squirts a small amount like a toothpaste tube.

Grease tubes are 2" ID, caulk is only 1.75".

I just take a razor knife and cut length wise down each tube. Then i split them in two, and using my fingers i just scoop the grease into the biff. Using your fingers you'll be able to pack the grease into all the different places you want it to go.

Split with clean blade then use cheap rubber spatula from the dolla store.

Last edited:
I have used a socket inverted with an extension with a sandwich bag over it.

:popcorn:

I used the grease gun tube with out the pump screwed on. You have to hold the tip of the tube in and be ready once you release the spring. Empties in a sec where ever it is pointed. Try your best to hold the release spring back to control where your shoving it.

I just take a razor knife and cut length wise down each tube. Then i split them in two, and using my fingers i just scoop the grease into the biff. Using your fingers you'll be able to pack the grease into all the different places you want it to go.
My preffered method also.

I get a 1 x 2 piece of wood about 4 inches longer than the tube. Many of the grease tubes I use have a plastic side tube end cover that I cut the edges off so it will slide in the tube. screw that piece to your wood and now you can easily push all the grease out the other end. You can now direct the grease into your birf easily in seconds dumping a whole tube with no mess.

I used the grease gun tube with out the pump screwed on. You have to hold the tip of the tube in and be ready once you release the spring. Empties in a sec where ever it is pointed. Try your best to hold the release spring back to control where your shoving it.

This is the correct answer. You do have a grease gun, right? For when I did mine, nearly one tube went in the birf axle hole, before the axle was installed. All the rest was pushed into the side of the axle housing, all using my grease gun tube.

Yep, have a nice John Deere gun. I'll play with it a bit. I like the razor slicing idea, little afraid of the spring loaded splat approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom