Builds Elma the red 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh and I almost forgot... I stripped one of the three exhaust manifold bolts. The ones going to the down pipe. So I gotta deal with that. I'm so pissed I did that. My little tap/die wrench is broken so I couldn't get the tap to reseat. I'll try and get to it again in one of the evenings here this week.

Last edited:
I don't drink :doh:. How are your coffee making skills? I might be good for holding the umbrella while you work! The progress your making looks
awesome, great work I'm jealous. I wish I had a garage to work in!

I make a pretty mean pot of coffee. Pretty basic around here though. Mostly Peet's with the occasional blu bottle or Phil'z.

Man this project is really coming along. Looks great. All that new shiny gear in there. Really nice. Great job.

Thanks man. It feels like it won't end. Im so close but still have a little bit to go.

Aside from all those damn hoses in that engine bay it looks great. I filled a 32 gallon trash can with all mine. Most were deteriorated or junked up... its amazing the 2F beast still ran so great.

Thank you. That rig of yours is out of hand. Makes me rethink my whole future plan with mine. Wish we could desmog. Oh well. Vacuum lines it is...

Oh and I almost forgot... I stripped one of the three exhaust manifold bolts. The ones going to the down pipe. So I gotta deal with that. I'm so pissed I did that. My little tap/die wrench is broken so I couldn't get the tap to reseat. I'll try and get to it again in one of the evenings here this week.

Those are studs. Put some heat on the manifold and vice grips ought to get them out. Most auto stores have the metric import studs for just a few dollars. Pay attention to how the stud sits in the manifold. I think the end with the most threads resides in the manifold. If you put it in backwards you run the chance of stripping the threads in the manifold.

When removing the head did you have to do all these steps? Any that can be omitted or worked around.

upload_2019-1-16_16-16-34.png

When removing the head did you have to do all these steps? Any that can be omitted or worked around.

View attachment 1880971

@g-man

I didn't touch the valves. I let the machine shop do that.
I left my entire exhaust/intake manifold in place and just unbolted it from the head so I didn't touch the EGR or EGR Cooler, We'll see at my next Smog check if I need to look into those items or not.
I did need to remove the alternator but I can't remember if this was because of the AC or not.
I unbolted the smog hard lines (if you still have them) and just laid them back.
I left the thermostat housing on the head and removed it after I got the head out and on my work bench.
I unbolted the #10 heat shield but let it hang where it lay. It would be easier to get to those rear exhaust bolts if it were completely removed but I didn't want to fight it out or back in and it just needs to move out of your way.
Be extremely careful taking the air rail off. They are often very fragile.
Don't over tighten anything.
Tighten super slow and use your torque wrench. Even be careful with that.
The rocker arms gave me a fight going back in but I talked about that in my thread.

Feel free to reach out if you get jammed up or need moral support. You may end up as I did going "well... I've got this part off... May as well do that"

When you say " smog hard lines" do you mean the hard vacuum lines? Can you leave the vacuum soft lines on it while pulling it back?
Did you have any difficulty with the head bolts? Did you re-use them?
Did you find a toyota oem head gasket valve grind kit or did you buy a complete engine gasket kit? Or aftermarket?
When you left your exhaust/intake in place was it hard to peel the old gasket off and clean the surfaces without removing the manifolds?

When you say " smog hard lines" do you mean the hard vacuum lines? Can you leave the vacuum soft lines on it while pulling it back?
Did you find a toyota oem head gasket valve grind kit or did you buy a complete engine gasket kit? Or aftermarket?
When you left your exhaust/intake in place was it hard to peel the old gasket off and clean the surfaces without removing the manifolds?

Yes, #6 in the diagram. Yes, I left all of the lines connected. Or as many as would stay connected.

No real difficulty but I did have to break out the pry pipe aka the pipe on my floor jack to get them to break loose. Don't forgot about that middle one. Yes, I used the old ones. I read a post somewhere on here that @beno said you didn't need to replace them.

Page 5 post #92... That's what I bought. It was an OEM Gasket kit I think. Zoom into the photo... You can pick a part # off there.

Gasket came right off. No issues at all. Hard you ask... Well how much Yoga do you do?

If I was going to do this again... I would not hesitate for one second now on renting/borrowing a cherry picker and removing the entire drivetrain and putting it on a stand. Or at least pulling the motor. It would have just made the entire job soooo much easier. Totally possible to do it the way I did but @2mountainfish reminded me... This would have been a hella of a lot easier on a stand in my garage.

Question for you... That diagram you posted... What service manual did you get that from? I use 3 different service manuals, all printed in binders and none of them are correct to my year (9/1985) That diagram you posted is correct to my year. I'd love to get my hands on that one.

Thanks for looking in man. I really appreciate everyones input.

Here is a pic that shows how I just shoved the hard vacuum lines off to the side. Notice how clean my exhaust/intake is? If I did more yoga I wouldn't be so sore.
IMG_7900 2.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like you piece mealed the gaskets individually. My understanding is that a toyota head gasket kit is NLA. Leaving us with the option of 1. whole toyota master engine gasket kit, 2. piece meal, 3. aftermarket kit.

The diagram came from a 1980 2f Motor FSM, Also downloaded from here:

For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

some good info for head disassembly, and re-assembly, including torque specs and torque patterns.

Really enjoyed your thread here! The more I read and learn about the 2F the more I love mine and so glad I didn't opt for a 60 that had been converted to the Vortec (which I really wanted). Thanks again! What's next for the Red 60?

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like you piece mealed the gaskets individually. My understanding is that a toyota head gasket kit is NLA. Leaving us with the option of 1. whole toyota master engine gasket kit, 2. piece meal, 3. aftermarket kit.

The diagram came from a 1980 2f Motor FSM, Also downloaded from here:

For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

some good info for head disassembly, and re-assembly, including torque specs and torque patterns.

I've got my other two manuals from this link. Wow, I never thought to check out the 1980 manual since I new big changes happened in 85. Ive been using the 84 and the 853fe manual which are both different. This is so freaking helpful. Thank you.

You'll be really happy you did this mod ,when you have to replace that new fan clutch before it even has 10,000 miles on it, lol. Nice attention to detail, it will serve you well down the road.

Thank you. Man... what a lot of work. Seams like it's never going to end and then... Bam... progress.

I can't believe I didn't do the shroud mod before. What a time/energy saver.

Really enjoyed your thread here! The more I read and learn about the 2F the more I love mine and so glad I didn't opt for a 60 that had been converted to the Vortec (which I really wanted). Thanks again! What's next for the Red 60?

Thank you for stopping in and reading. I'm going to start a teardown on a Chevy Tahoe soon to snatch the motor. We'll see if I pass CA Smog and how long I get out of this big service I just did. What's next... Hell... I just got it started last night. Need to get it running right. Hopefully I'm back to begging the gas pedal for more by Monday. First trip is to take my family to the snow in the rig. My daughter doesn't even believe the thing will ever run. "you just work on it dad"

Good news! Amazon delivered me a new bad a$$ Erwin 12" tap wrench. I got the stripped exhaust stud to seat. The pucker factor was real. I was sure to use some Magic Tap and went extra slow. I also tightened the bolt extra slow. I did't bother with the torque wrench. I just turned until it felt good and snug. I was to afraid to break it again. If I had to take the manifold off to fix, it would cost me 2 months minimum.
IMG_8461.jpg

Finally got some fluids going in as well. This is the easy way to do it. Let gravity do the work. My driveway has a slight decline and the nozzle on the RAD is bent back a bit (just like my old one) as well so pouring just isn't a realistic option. Unless you have a week to pour coolant. This takes the pain right out of it. The little hand pump is useless on this thing so the old fashion suck and spit was the real method here. Although antifreeze is slightly sweet, it has a sh:tty after taste. I'm going to invest in one of those electric syphon pumps one day.
IMG_8493.jpg

First round of new oil also went in. Of course I overfilled the funnel and spilled oil everywhere but I'm not showing you a pic of that.
:doh::bang:
IMG_8485.jpg

Pardon the hijack what is the blue truck next to the 60? You did an excellent job IMO.

Pardon the hijack what is the blue truck next to the 60? You did an excellent job IMO.

Hey Viper, Thanks man.

It WAS a 1977 Toyota Hilux pickup. It's now my "ultimate" camping trailer. You can see better pics of it in my build thread in my signature.

Great job homie. You've been an inspiration when I do my head gasket I'll be definitely referring back. Also ne asking questions. Good luck on the smog.

Thanks @pv40! Feel free to reach out on the thread or PM me. I'm here to help. Careful though... I don't really know what I'm doing. :)

Failure is an amazing teacher.

Hey Viper, Thanks man.

It WAS a 1977 Toyota Hilux pickup. It's now my "ultimate" camping trailer. You can see better pics of it in my build thread in my signature.

And I thought all along that it was a complete truck, LMAO! IMO that thing is still way cool being it's a Toyota bed. That's it I have to get the 60 back on the road so we can have a tailgate party or camping trip, there is a few 60 members here in the bay area for sure.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom