Electric fan on radiator behind A/C condenser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentleman.....of course I use that term loosely. I have searched quite a bit on here on electric fans, but am not finding the answer I am looking for. I have seen members post pictures of electric fans on the passenger side, mounted on the A/C condenser. I cant help but wonder how effective this is in assisting keeping the engine cool? Has anyone installed a slim electric fan on the radiator, behind the A/C condenser? Could you please post pics? My reason behind wanting to install an additional fan is is that I find the A/C getting warm when I am out off-roading at slow speeds and putting strain on the engine in hot weather. I am also doing another summer road trip, most of it through the southwest. The temps will be hot, and a good possibility of sitting in some traffic in SoCal.

Do you mean between the condenser and the radiator? If so there isn't room. I put my condenser back into the truck yesterday.. there MIGHT be an inch of room between the cores, probably less.

Most of the guys putting a small pusher in front of the condenser are doing so to assist airflow through the core for better AC at low speeds, (exactly what you want).. while keeping the high capacity of the stock (or worked over) clutch and fan for engine cooling. For that purpose a pusher is apparently fine, as those guys report good results from that mod.

Forgot to add.....off-roading in the Texas heat will occasionally raise the temp gauge a bit. I usually just shut off the A/C and let it relax for a few minutes. Thanks for the reply. It does look really slim in there, wasn't sure if anyone had pulled off a miracle.

Something like this?

img_2861-jpg.1305064

What this will do is lower AC temp and help during low speed wheeling or stop and go traffic. If you are over heating now an aux fan most likely will not help. I have found an aux fan will take the edge off.

Aisin blue fan clutch straight out the box did wonders for my AC and ability to climb I70 from Golden to Vail without overheating- Max temp @ 204 with the skinny pedal on the floor for may miles, previous max temp somewhere above 240, AC cutting out, and guaranteed pulling over at least once to let the engine cool down

LandcruiserPhil - That looks like what I will do, being that I can not get a pusher electric fan on the radiator itself. Appreciate the picture.
gsi18867- Luckily enough, when I didn't work on my own vehicle, the Toyota dealer put a blue fan clutch on it. So I am good in that department. It was probably the only thing that Street Toyota, of Amarillo TX did not screw up.
mechanist- I'll check it out

The blue hub is the weakest of the '80 series clutches. In stock form, most find them insufficient for desert conditions. That said, a clutch fan is a solid choice, by tuning can be very powerful, most who run the blue hub here, change out the fluid to ~30K cst.

In comparison, electric fans are wimpy, can add some, but not huge. We usually only put them on S/C rigs, they need all of the help they can get. For best results get the largest that will fit, covering as much surface area as possible. We have had good results with the fan off of an early LS400, large, powerful and pretty easy to fit. Can add some, but don't expect miracles, the biggest improvement comes from tuning the clutch.

i put these on a few years ago I don't use them much my aqua green fan clutch with 30,000 oil keeps my 3fe nice and cool even in 115 degree heat

1492125564726.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, If you can find nice looking vents and cut them into the hood and get rid on the underhood insulation I've found it reduces the heat quite a bit . We had some patterns for cutting out the hood scopes years ago. However I don't know who has them now. Mike

Something like this?

img_2861-jpg.1305064

What this will do is lower AC temp and help during low speed wheeling or stop and go traffic. If you are over heating now an aux fan most likely will not help. I have found an aux fan will take the edge off.
I have this already on my rig, PO installed. problem is its no longer wired, is there a power wire diagram around for this setup its a JDM i believe.

I have this already on my rig, PO installed. problem is its no longer wired, is there a power wire diagram around for this setup its a JDM i believe.

My Aux fan set ups use a 100 series factory fan and it does not need a relay just power and a switch.

Here is my install with a wiring diagram and the switch I used - Auxiliary Fan Install

Do you mean between the condenser and the radiator? If so there isn't room. I put my condenser back into the truck yesterday.. there MIGHT be an inch of room between the cores, probably less.

Most of the guys putting a small pusher in front of the condenser are doing so to assist airflow through the core for better AC at low speeds, (exactly what you want).. while keeping the high capacity of the stock (or worked over) clutch and fan for engine cooling. For that purpose a pusher is apparently fine, as those guys report good results from that mod.

My brother suggested I do this to the 80 (which belonged to him for many years before I got it) to help with A/C performance in traffic. I guess It is a regular issue. I think I may be stealing the LCP method of doing it since I just picked up the replacement a/c lines for the 80 on my last trip back to Cali.

Last edited:
Dirtyboots- Was a rope....past tense 1996. Then earned my titles and hauled the green tick on my back.

IIRC, Dave is running all electric fans on a diesel, in Spain?

Spot on @inkpot . The mod was done a few years back now and still works fine, I used a two speed unit fitted as a puller, it covers cooling and AC.

The debate of mechanical versus electric fans often fires up some heated (no pun intended) debate, the pro's and cons have been hacked out over the years, and the electric IMO wins, but there are some rules to be followed, don't just bung a fan in there and expect it to work, read my thread and then make your decision.

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom