Don't trust that factory temp gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a Koso water temp gauge a few months back when i installed my new factory radiator. Today i decided to do a little test. So i watched my factory gauge as the water temp started to warm up.

At a temp of 135 degrees showing on my Koso water temp gauge, my factory water temp gauge had moved to the center of it's travel.

As i drove around i watched the factory gauge for movement. The reading on my Koso gauge ranged from 189 degrees while running down the freeway, to 207 degrees while waiting on a train at a railroad crossing. Outside temp today was 115 degrees in the shade.

From the time my factory gauge moved to the center of it's travel there was a 72 degree temperature swing on my Koso gauge. At no time did the needle on my factory gauge move at all. It stayed in the exact same place it was sitting when the water temp was reading 135 degrees on my Koso gauge.

So the moral to this story, if you're relying on your factory gauge to warn you when your water temp is getting hot, you may be in for a very rude awakening.

By the time that factory gauge moves to the red zone your engine may already be cooked! You'd be much better off spending 45 dollars to get a real water temp gauge, that actuality works, then ever trusting that factory gauge.

Amen.
Some alternaatives. The Raven Tai (sp) temp gauge mod was one of the most needed things I addressed on our 80. It eliminates the big lag and livens the factory gauge up in the useful range. Also added a Scan Gauge set up to read out the temp in digital Fahrenheit. Now I just worry about noticing in time. I have a good habit of scanning my gauges, but the mind tends to wonder with age.

The Ultragauge, a similar ODB-II-based product to the Scan Gauge, lets you set a warning to go off at a certain temperature.

I have mine set at 208F, that's not exactly SHTF temperature according to a lot of people here but it tells me when I need to start watching it like a hawk.

Of course both the Ultragauge and Scan Gauge are only options if you have an ODB-II 1FZ ('95 or later, I think?).

Outside temp today was 115 degrees in the shade.
So it's my understanding you live in Hell?

I'm getting ready to do the Koso install next week. I just want that peace of mind and wonder how my cooling system is performing.

So it's my understanding you live in Hell?

I'm getting ready to do the Koso install next week. I just want that peace of mind and wonder how my cooling system is performing.
Most of us call it Arizona. At least free shipping always includes me.

Most of us call it Arizona. At least free shipping always includes me.
You had to twist the knife with the free shipping comment huh? Got me!

I was stationed at Luke AFB for 9 years and Saudi for 14 months. Hell is probably more temperate than both.

From the time my factory gauge moved to the center of it's travel there was a 72 degree temperature swing on my Koso gauge. At no time did the needle on my factory gauge move at all. It stayed in the exact same place it was sitting when the water temp was reading 135 degrees on my Koso gauge.
This has been discussed many times before. The factory dash gauge has a "dead spot", so by the time you see it move it's already too late. There is a mod for this that has also been discussed many times.

Last edited:
Ultragauge and Scangauge both work on OBD-II trucks - the first is half the price of the second

So the scan gauge is a accurate representation of temps from the obd2? Another temperature sensor is not necessary?
Yes the scangauge II gives you an accurate reading. If you have both scangauge and Koso the readings will be a little different due to them pulling the reading from two different places. It's unnecessary to run both for temps.

Last edited:
I also think @NLXTACY talked about this a while back. The factory gauge will remain showing temps in the center until it's about to overheat ~210/215°+.

I don't know the actual overheating temps that's why I used the "about" sign (~)

I was stationed at Luke AFB for 9 years
What years were you at Luke? My dad worked for Lockheed on the F104 flight training program for the German Airforce. They trained their pilots, and maintained their F104's at Luke from the 1960's, till the program ended in the early 80's. He was also there when the first F15's came in around 1974, i believe those F15's were assigned to the 555TH fighter squadron. Before he left the lawn darts showed up, most people know them as the F16 fighting Falcon. Now pilots at Luke are training on the new F35's.

Last edited:
What years were you at Luke? My dad worked for Lockheed on the F104 flight training program for the German Airforce. They trained their pilots, and maintained their F104's at Luke from the 1960's, till the program ended in the early 80's. He was also there when the first F15's came in around 1974, i believe those F15's were assigned to the 555TH fighter squadron. Before he left the lawn darts showed up, most people know them as the F16 fighting Falcon. Now pilots at Luke are training on the new F35's.
2001-2009. Love me some 15s. That’s a bit more my generation than the 104 but I definitely have a lot of appreciation for all jets!

I heavily rely on Amazon prime in Hawaii. Found with my old Grainger account the shipping is not bad for hard to find materials to make stuff with.

I’m Running the Koso, is seems to read a lower temperature the expected. But I live on the cost we’re it’s cool. I drove it into town and it never got over 192 with the Ac on and about 95 degrees out.
I ran it to to coolant out let pipe on the head
That should be the hottest place just before going into the radiator.

C83A6DAB-9482-4096-B462-77CCB1F3140D.jpeg

51C74FCE-0E93-4E60-9D3A-E453D850A7F4.jpeg

I well be able to check it out more on the trail next week at the Rubicon.
That’s the only time I have had it getting hot, on the trail with the Ac on, Vehicle not moving.
I have be using the Toyocom reader, but use the tablet for navigating as well.
Initial testing showed a large difference between Toyocom and the koso.
again well know more after next week.
If you’re running one of the Koso where did you hook it up and does it seem to read accurately ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom