Do all years stock 2F intakes accept all years 2F carbs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just rebuilt a 1976 2F and the machine shop showed me my intake had been welded with a tasty weld bead right in sight (no leaks) but with an expensive fresh rebuild I want my Cruiser to breath and avoid any ashtma issues. Also, my exhaust heat riser flapper (technical term) leaks and I am looking for a new set. For my build I have a brand new foreign spec 2F carburetor (likely for an fj60 2F) and am looking for stock intake/exhuast.

Can I buy any 2F intake to mount my new carb on?

Thanks in advance Mudder Brudders!

I think that the intake manifold with the built in heat shield will not accept all carbs...

For a non-USA 2F carb, you can fit any 2F (only) air cleaner…..but will require a spacer between the carb and lid.

That said, you have to match the air cleaner to your valve cover. Early valve cover requires early air cleaner, vice versa due to bolt placement and height of valve cover change.

Provide photos of your engine and carb then it can be told what your options are.

not certain, but I thought some combos were closer to the head than the later manifolds.
the aircleaner housings are different,
I can help with a later setup

is Jason/advanced engines doing the rebuild?

not certain, but I thought some combos were closer to the head than the later manifolds.

If we are talking 2F only, which we are, then it’s the insulator thickness on the carb (not the manifold base insulator) that changed, not the 2F manifold.

For air cleaners there are the 75-80, 80-84. Then non-USA 75-80 and 80-84.

85-87 Fj60 2F is same as 80-84 fj40
For mounting. The key takeaway is which generation 2F carb and which valve cover.

I’ve tried them all except for 80-87 2F non-USA (which has two variations of air inlet shape). It’s a great option except the brackets are a bear to find if not already attached.

Hi Paul! I moved to Missoula a couple years ago since I've seen you last. I had West Side Machine here in Missoula do the build for me. I provided all the rebuild parts and he did the assembly and machine work. Engine is from a 1976 so I have the domed pistons.

Thanks for the replies fellas! I'll get some pictures up shortly of what I have going on! Happy turkey!

Hi Paul! I moved to Missoula a couple years ago since I've seen you last. I had West Side Machine here in Missoula do the build for me. I provided all the rebuild parts and he did the assembly and machine work. Engine is from a 1976 so I have the domed pistons.
Do you have any rebuilt intake/exhaust combos that might work?

Engine before build.

IMG_20231128_220235.jpg

IMG_20231128_220225.jpg

Current state of my intake. Doesn't leak but that weld bead looks really. After rebuilding an engine I would hope to have "relatively" unrestricted air flow.... Yes I understand these are tractor motors and not hot rods but still...

20231128_213749.jpg

20231128_213759.jpg

20231128_213817.jpg

20231128_213828.jpg

Current state of my exhaust manifold. The heat riser flapper shown in the closeup with my finger in picture was reported to leak.

20231128_213846.jpg

20231128_213859.jpg

20231128_213908.jpg

20231128_213921.jpg

After all of the money I spent on rebuilding the engine I'm tapped out and hoping to find an inexpensive option to work with what you all have seen here. The engine is a '76 and I had to sell my first born to afford new domed pistons for it. Currently, I can find a rebuilt combo for $1200 but I'd have to save for another dang year to come up with that money to finish build. One other thing to note is that I will be running a factory PTO and from my research (not personal knowledge) headers won't work with anything but the stock exhuast. Anybody know different? Any tips or people with good cheap intake/exhaust combos for sale would be much appreciated on this. Thanks gents!

did you need another plate on the bottom at the manifold. and what did you do with the air cleaner

I ended up purchasing a set from *3_puppies for the set. Great seller and knowledgeable guy. I still have my air cleaner. Do you know if my air cleaner will fit that carb? I'm putting this all in a 1964 fj40.

I ended up purchasing a set from *3_puppies for the set. Great seller and knowledgeable guy. I still have my air cleaner. Do you know if my air cleaner will fit that carb? I'm putting this all in a 1964 fj40.
That is what I am trying to do today as well getting the new 2 barrel sorted to my stock air cleaner. @JackA has done it and suggested getting some round stock and clamping it on.

Can I get the information for *3_puppies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom