Builds DIY FJZ80 Low Budget Turbo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"The tuning device has our new closed loop boost enrichment function built into the unit. This function manipulates the signal from the forward O2 sensor in boost to cause the ECU to richen up the fuel mixture while still in closed loop mode. It works on engines with the old style O2 sensors and the newer ones with the new style air/fuel ratio sensors. This is breakthrough technology and URD was the first to bring it to you!!"

Sounds like they incorporate the 02 sensor function into that unit.

This sounds like it could be a solution to get me to higher boost without spending over 2K for a stand alone to run with my stock ECU.

Yes I don't think that the URD device is new, I just don't think Turbo Systems have been all that well addressed on the FZJ80 platform, here in the US. URD is also not really on the radar for most tuners. Also why I recommended calling them to make sure it works on a 1FZFE, and also to check with your tuner to ensure that they are comfortable with it. URD has been doing turbo's and super's on trucks, tacomas, and 4runners for years, they will be a great asset.

Problems I see and you will need to decide how you will address them:
Injector size - this product will work with stock injectors but stock injectors will run out about 300hp
7th injector? - will give you some more overhead but will it be enough
new injectors run by a stand alone - URD's system probably won't work

When I was going to do this, I would have gone with a 3582R, air, fuel, timing, O2 and 7th injector controlled by URD and tuned to 320hp and been done with it.

I would write down your goals call URD and see what they say and if they suggest their system.

The URD system will work to tune bigger injectors no problem

"The URD MAF/Timing Calibrator will allow you to install larger then stock injectors, and it will allow you to retune the ECU to properly control them. This approach works well and is generally limited to injector size increases to a maximum of roughly twice as large as the stock injectors. If you need more fuel delivery than that, contact us, we have other options available like our URD 5VZ-FE Turbo Port Fueler System."

"The URD MAF/Timing Calibrator will allow you to install larger then stock injectors, and it will allow you to retune the ECU to properly control them. This approach works well and is generally limited to injector size increases to a maximum of roughly twice as large as the stock injectors. If you need more fuel delivery than that, contact us, we have other options available like our URD 5VZ-FE Turbo Port Fueler System."

Actually, they say they can support injectors with twice the flow of stock and to contact them if you need even bigger.

Yeah, that. haha

Also:

"This tuning device is compatable with the following engine platforms, 2RZ-FE, 3RZ-FE, 1MZ-FE, 5VZ-FE found in the Tacoma, Hilux, Prado, Camry, 4Runner and so on. Also compatable with LandCruiser vehicles of the same ventage."

The same ventage? Does this include the 80 series?

Yes, they confirmed the unit works with 1FZFE.

There are other options to squeak some more HP out of the stock injectors, addressing the fuel pump, increasing the fuel pressure, etc.

I will update everyone once I get this URD piece installed next week.

Ok, sorry if I butcher the thread but I have a question seemingly relevant. I'm running the Safari Turbo at only 6-7 PSI. I removed my "UniChip" as I heard a lot about it running the engine to lean. So I'm running the stock ECU now which seems to be working fine. I don't have access to a dyno here, but would be curious to see my AFR's, I'm sure they are richer than 14:1 which is good... My question is what other ECU chip or programming might I look at for optimal performance without running lean? And am I doing any damage by running on the stock ECU with current set up? Again sorry to hijack the thread lilevo, but it seems like there is a lot of good turbo knowledge here...

You need to buy and install a wideband gauge. Aem uego brand new are like $160.

Then you can determine your course of action. There is no way your AFRs are "ideal" for your setup. They may even be on the verge of scary. Same with timing. That fuel and timing controller I posted would be the "cheapest" option for a really quality way of tuning your truck perfectly.

Last edited:
Yes, they confirmed the unit works with 1FZFE.

There are other options to squeak some more HP out of the stock injectors, addressing the fuel pump, increasing the fuel pressure, etc.

I will update everyone once I get this URD piece installed next week.
Are you gonna build a harness that can be duplicated for a nominal fee?

Yes, everything will be documented with pictures, videos, etc. I will also video document the actual tuning procedure.

I'm thinking this hardware is very simple with only a half dozen tap-in's though so no real harness needed.

I also have a wireless USB OBD2 adpater coming to go hand in hand with the laptop tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom