Dissent offroad modular rear bumper. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let me start by saying Ben is such a great person to work with...he did last minute modifications and kept the entire install/fab to the two days I had while in Grass Valley. After driving a total of 7k miles (3500 with new Dissent equipment) I can say I'm very pleased with the work Ben did. No rattles, and no eye sores that stick out with design....Instead of changing the foot on my hi-lift Ben made a new tray to fit my wider foot....I also added a chainsaw holder to the side of the right swing out arm with capability to hold 3 gallons of gas under the tray (rotopax not pictured.).
Only issue we had was with the third skid plate not having clearance with my Borla exhaust...Ben swapped in one of the earlier prototypes with no added gussets on the inside so it's a bit less capable on deflection resistance but the others have the added strength so hopefully I don't pin the last plate...worst case it will bend.

Great experience for the entire family and we saw so much of the country - 16 states....Me, my wife, and two boys 2 and 4. 2018 - epic...now we're planning some camping trips to test out the new gear.

DISSENT FRONT.JPG

DISSENT SAW HOLDER1.JPG

DISSENT SAW HOLDER2.JPG

DISSENT SKID1.JPG

DISSENT SKID2.JPG

I forgot to add I did an oil change this weekend and swapped out some transmission fluid so I had two of the three skids removed and I was able to do it all myself while under the vehicle on a creeper....super fast on the front skid to remove and the second took a bit longer due to the number of fasteners but overall I'm not turned off. You can change the oil with the front one in place but I don't like oil on the inside of the skids so I always remove....for others they might just opt to leave in place.

That chainsaw mount is cool but if you're doing any serious wheeling I'd be pretty concerned about it getting ripped off.

I just put be 20” on for effect. I have a 14” battery saw I take in the woods. Still plenty of clearance. You guys are so observant.

@WickedPickle .... damn those skids are nice! So want to add those to my build.

Let me start by saying Ben is such a great person to work with...he did last minute modifications and kept the entire install/fab to the two days I had while in Grass Valley. After driving a total of 7k miles (3500 with new Dissent equipment) I can say I'm very pleased with the work Ben did. No rattles, and no eye sores that stick out with design....Instead of changing the foot on my hi-lift Ben made a new tray to fit my wider foot....I also added a chainsaw holder to the side of the right swing out arm with capability to hold 3 gallons of gas under the tray (rotopax not pictured.).
Only issue we had was with the third skid plate not having clearance with my Borla exhaust...Ben swapped in one of the earlier prototypes with no added gussets on the inside so it's a bit less capable on deflection resistance but the others have the added strength so hopefully I don't pin the last plate...worst case it will bend.

Great experience for the entire family and we saw so much of the country - 16 states....Me, my wife, and two boys 2 and 4. 2018 - epic...now we're planning some camping trips to test out the new gear.

View attachment 1690704

View attachment 1690705

View attachment 1690706

View attachment 1690707

View attachment 1690708
Those Skids are legit!

@benc you are the truth.

Last edited:
@benc

I am placing a hardware order for some other projects and want to get some new bolts for my rear bumper. They don't seem to have survived the winter.

Can you tell me the size of the hardware used to attach the bumper? Specifically these pieces pictured below.
Could I replace them with stainless to match the front or do they need to be grade 8?

IMG_5062.jpeg

IMG_5063.jpeg

@benc

I am placing a hardware order for some other projects and want to get some new bolts for my rear bumper. They don't seem to have survived the winter.

Can you tell me the size of the hardware used to attach the bumper? Specifically these pieces pictured below.
Could I replace them with stainless to match the front or do they need to be grade 8?

View attachment 1700601

View attachment 1700602
Sorry about the hardware issue! I could send you some new ones or yes you should be fine to replace with stainless, just make sure you use antiseize if you go that route. The cap bolts are 1/2"x3/4" and the hinge bolt washer is 1". Let me know if you need me to sent any.
Thanks.

Holy crap, those are some nice looking welds.

I may have to rethink my rear bumper!

^ Those impeccable welds are why @benc can't hire anyone.

When you put a standard like that on someone - I'm sure any potential employees quickly start to feel unworthy to be in the same room as Ben.

As always, amazing!
Haha, thanks!
Yes, I have scared a few welders off but I do have a guy I'm training that is getting close!

@benc

Any update on the second swing out?

Filled in that blank spot to the right of the hitch with a shore power outlet.

IMG_20180620_205349.jpg

Nice!
The second swing with tray and 2" receiver are available. The other accessories I'm still working on.

@benc will the swing with the 2" receiver be rated? t'd be really nice to have a tray style bike rack mounted on a swing out :)

Something like this....

upload_2018-6-22_16-39-14.jpeg

So I had a near disaster yesterday. After picking up my bumper order from Fastenal 3pl shipping I was transporting directly to the powder coater on my trailer. Apparently during shipping Fastenall fork lift operators must have crashed a little into the end of the pallet and loosened the screws holding down one of the front bumper wings. As I was riding down the interstate that piece feel of the back of the trailer into traffic and the car two behind me hit the bumper wing, dragging it a couple hundred feet before coming to a stop.
828A1607-541A-4C4F-A2B9-7469253662E4.jpeg
385574CC-C2E3-4394-9896-247008D8C3BC.jpeg
C2A5A69B-0FEC-44E5-AA69-3D70D6FE096C.jpeg
3EE733D8-BBA4-4AA0-8A83-2FABFCF6DF83.jpeg
4DB48D34-A30A-4BEC-96D2-ECB9E1353FBB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom