Dissent offroad aluminum and steel skid plates. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just finished mine last night. It was easy to figure out once you realize the bolts only fit in their places. Started around midnight and finished at 1:15. The biggest hang up was the little Shields on that had to be removed. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the skid wouldn't fit.
I'm going to blame the dark and being exhausted from just installed a slee diff drop earlier that evening after work.

It's really nice that every piece hangs on the front end. Start at the back, hang each forward end of the skid up as you tighten the back up and boom, you're done.

Used a shoe box to prop up the plates as i went. Height was good and it was much quieter than the skids banging on a jack or Jack stands.

One thing i wasn't expecting was all the extra hardware. Initially i thought i missed something, but other than the last two bolts being installed (after i enlarge the holes) everything is bolted up 100%

A big shout-out to Ben, considering this is your first ever batch, coming from a one man operation, everything went smoothly and I'm very happy! despite the butchering on UPS's part.

Now to wait on the bumper......

20180713_192731.jpg

20180713_192717.jpg

20180713_185844_HDR-01.jpeg

Received mine yesterday, installed today. @benc absolutely awesome work, skid plates look great and fit right up the way they should. Big thanks to @Odyseuss for the breakdown on which bolts go where and the write up on your build thread. You were absolutely right, once you get going it is pretty clear what goes where.

Guess for not being able to make HIH this year, installing these skids was an alright alternative.

I recently changed the oil for the first time since installing the skids. I decided to try and drain the oil with the skid plates on to see if I could do it without making a big mess with oil dripping all over the plates. I cut the ends off of a standard 500ml water bottle, and it fit snug in the access hole for the oil drain all the way up against the oil pan.
IMG_20180714_212923.jpg

Then I was able to access the drain plug through the bottle. sure enough the bottle was coated with oil on the inside, but the skid plates stayed clean. I use another larger bottle in the drain pan to keep the oil from splashing off the pan and that works well too.
IMG_20180714_212933.jpg

IMG_20180714_213106.jpg

I wasn't so optimistic about changing the filter with the front skid on, so I pulled the front plate to change the filter, but was still able to leave the middle plate in place. I still think its worth the bit of time it saves, if there is no other reason to pull the skid plates.

Thanks for being the first to try this!

I was thinking the same thing. The filter might need some sort of funnel, maybe cut a bigger bottle lengthwise and slide it under, or else you'll have a major mess on your hands.

@screendoor I'll try.
The rear 2 A holes(he he) need to be enlarged to fit the #4 pieces threaded portion up with bolts #6 and flat washers in the 4 A Holes.
B and C holes get #1 bolts with #3 washers.
D,E & F get #2 bolts and flat washers.
The rest should attach the Dissent front bumper to the skids, but since I dont have that part, I'll leave it up to someone else to explain or you to figure out. I did a write up of my install in my build thread too if that helps. Good luck.

Not sure if you still have it but did you have to remove the factory front tow brackets?

Will these skids be offered for purchase separately at some point? My OEM "splash shield" just tore off and I'd like to replace with something more stout.

Will these skids be offered for purchase separately at some point? My OEM "splash shield" just tore off and I'd like to replace with something more stout.
Funny, currently wondering the same as mine's on it's last leg. Skids have moved up the list fast...

I hope to eventually. The reason I haven't yet is I have them nested extremely well to use up the sheet with very little waist. If I start making single pieces I loose more material therefore the price will have to go up on the individual pieces.

I decided to get the set because my front guard split in two going over an obstical. I had other plans with my money suddenly skid plates became a requirement.

Honestly just buy the whole set. The craftsmanship is beautiful and the welds look like dimes laying on top of each other. Definitely worth the pay to play.

I recently changed the oil for the first time since installing the skids. I decided to try and drain the oil with the skid plates on to see if I could do it without making a big mess with oil dripping all over the plates. I cut the ends off of a standard 500ml water bottle, and it fit snug in the access hole for the oil drain all the way up against the oil pan.
View attachment 1747659
Then I was able to access the drain plug through the bottle. sure enough the bottle was coated with oil on the inside, but the skid plates stayed clean. I use another larger bottle in the drain pan to keep the oil from splashing off the pan and that works well too.
View attachment 1747661
View attachment 1747660

I wasn't so optimistic about changing the filter with the front skid on, so I pulled the front plate to change the filter, but was still able to leave the middle plate in place. I still think its worth the bit of time it saves, if there is no other reason to pull the skid plates.

Or get a fumoto valve and attach a tube to the end of it. Works great - no mess. (Edit, I put Slee skids on after this photo and still works great.)

image-jpg.907482

Last edited:
Honestly just buy the whole set. The craftsmanship is beautiful and the welds look like dimes laying on top of each other. Definitely worth the pay to play.

You guys are killing me. This definitely was not in the budget but now it's at the top of the list. @benc can I get a quote shipped to 01719?

This probably an unnecessary worry, but hey, we all our special skills...

The frame and steel on my track are in great, pretty much rust-free comdition. MANY of the fasteners are not; two of the three bolts holding on the transfer case shield broke despite a lot of caution and care removing them. Guessing the composition of the fasteners is leading to some form of sacrificial/galvanic corrosion. Thoughts?

Bringing it up because of the aluminim/steel interface. Both metals are very close to each other on the nobility scale, of course, but given the state of my fasteners I figured I'd ask. Is there any concern at all regarding how nice the aluminum plates and steel frame play with each other?

Very interested in the skid plates!

As a side note, two of the three diff protection plate bolts broke on mine. I was able to clean up one hole, but left the other for another day.

I just did a diffs and transfer case fluid change ("Front diff, you change with transfer case. Transfer case, you change with rear diff...".. rim shot...) and, maybe not coincidentally, exactly those same two out of three bolts broke for me too. I've drilled them w/ an 1/8" bit and soaked for a day or two w/ PBBlaster, and planning on taking some ezouts to them today. How did you get yours out?

I just did a diffs and transfer case fluid change ("Front diff, you change with transfer case. Transfer case, you change with rear diff...".. rim shot...) and, maybe not coincidentally, exactly those same two out of three bolts broke for me too. I've drilled them w/ an 1/8" bit and soaked for a day or two w/ PBBlaster, and planning on taking some ezouts to them today. How did you get yours out?

I used a harbor freight left hand drill bit at first, then used a tap to, very slowly, dig the remaining material out. Before using the tap, I tried using my neighbor's ezout but nothing would budge. I broke a tap off in the other hole because I was too aggressive.

Can I get a quote for a set shipped to 92026.

What if you sent 2 at the same time to the same location? I am in Oceanside so @slickdealmike is only about 10 - 15 miles from me. If ready in time, maybe even include the front bumper I currently have on order. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom