Dissent Front/Rear Bumper install instructions (LX) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great!

were you using the light converter?

I plan on cutting the stock flaps and reattaching them to cover those areas. That should be the last bits of this how-to....

I didn't use the converter. I'm still not sure what the issue was with the blue brake wire, but if it had worked, the convertor isn't necessary. For now, I left the brake wire unconnected, but hanging with the connector on. When I want to spend more time on it, I can splice into a brake wire and add the brake light input to the RoadVision lights. Technically, every input you need on the trailer plug. The flip cap on the plug also has a diagram for the wires which saved a lot of time with a test light.

I spent a couple of hours splicing, soldering, heat shrinking, and looming a wire harness for the RoadVision lights. Unfortunately, I had to tear back into it due to the brake light issue.

Future installers: Test your wire harness and lights before making it look nice.

I didn't use the converter. I'm still not sure what the issue was with the blue brake wire, but if it had worked, the convertor isn't necessary. For now, I left the brake wire unconnected, but hanging with the connector on. When I want to spend more time on it, I can splice into a brake wire and add the brake light input to the RoadVision lights. Technically, every input you need on the trailer plug. The flip cap on the plug also has a diagram for the wires which saved a lot of time with a test light.

I spent a couple of hours splicing, soldering, heat shrinking, and looming a wire harness for the RoadVision lights. Unfortunately, I had to tear back into it due to the brake light issue.

Future installers: Test your wire harness and lights before making it look nice.
yea, i did the same until I realized it won't work without the converter. I'll go back and check this thread, but I thought I warned against this so no one else would rack their brain.

Think of it like this....
a regular trailer light has 2 bulbs. 1 for reverse, and the other is used for brake and blinker. all the connections in the trailer plug are "dumbed down" for this 2 bulb system.

The RoadVision has 3 sets of bulbs 1) brake 2) reverse 3) turn. You need that converter to separate out that brake/turn signal otherwise your RoadVision turns will illuminate when you hit the brakes (and possibly explain whatever your flickering was).

The only other option is to grab the 3 independent signals in the left interior panel before it gets converted ("dumbed down") for the trailer plug.

You probably did warn against it. I have a habit of forgetting things and not re-reading threads when I probably should (like before installing a bumper.)

I still have the converter. I pulled the middle section of the bumper off to troubleshoot the wiring and forgot to look for room for the converter before I pulled it off. Fortunately, the middle section gives access to all the wiring and is fairly easy to remove and reinstall.

Last Step! - Install rear mud flaps:

I tried out a few different cuts, but ultimately ended up following the curve of the rear wing. The main reason for putting this back was to support the plastic skin piece that got trimmed. The new support screw is circled below in red, and completely fixes the floppiness.

There seems to be enough flex to account for body movement, but you could also cut a little larger and simply tuck it into the wing.

915AA72A-22E6-4ED1-9895-2B0D22CAED17.jpeg

D7DAB49C-8070-4D3A-AF87-9CA884EBBB47.jpeg

57FBBA90-92F7-42C5-8C51-839B9DDEC060.jpeg

Last edited:
Paint. I figured it would be easier to touch up if they were scratched. Plus, I have a paint/ body shop around the corner from my shop.

D25C226E-1F1D-40C6-BFC5-101E5A561E9C.jpeg

Just got the front bumper on my 2016 LX. I don’t believe anyone has put a Dissent Bumper on the front of a 16’ yet, but I found it to be pretty straight forward. There are a couple things that I had to do differently than the other LX in this thread do to the different front end of this year. I could upload some photos at some point if someone else is trying to do this on a 16+.

View attachment 2640200
Just got the front bumper on my 2016 LX. I don’t believe anyone has put a Dissent Bumper on the front of a 16’ yet, but I found it to be pretty straight forward. There are a couple things that I had to do differently than the other LX in this thread do to the different front end of this year. I could upload some photos at some point if someone else is trying to do this on a 16+.

Looks great. Got any pics with a slightly more side view?

F*** that looks good, congrats and look forward to seeing more of it!

Sick!
I’m curious to know if the variations were due to the 2016+ or because you have the newer designed front for the LX (wider middle section, wings flair up, overall depth is bigger and no need for spacers).
Post pics!

View attachment 2640200
omg that looks so good

Overall the project was pretty similar to Radman’s instructions. Btw, thank you for doing this thread I followed it closely. The major difference is the 2016 has a different grill and front end design. Behind the grill is a metal crossbar that supports the grill. This crossbar and the L bracket that supports it needed to be removed and cut way back. Honestly it barley worked, if the bumper were to sit even a cm higher it would have been a major problem. The first picture is of the cross bar as it sits in the car, the second is it out of the car. I removed the plastic clips from the bar and cut it back until it didn’t touch the Dissent bumper. Those plastic clips hold the grill and OEM bumper in place . All wiring and the headlight washer tubes and center parking sensors were able to be left attached to the OEM bumper/grill. I cut the OEM grill all the way up to the bottom edge of the parking sensors. The only wiring that had to be removed and reattached (via zip ties) was the wiring harness that goes to the fog lights and far side parking sensors.

22811AFE-DF17-471B-9EE5-271FFD312303.jpeg

65DD58CF-D3EB-408E-8AFD-E1834784C458.jpeg

View attachment 2640200

Looks awesome! I've been wanting to see a Dissent front on a 16+ for a long time.

5601488F-EEC2-422D-A753-08A1D692BEEE.jpeg
Once I had cut through all the plastic layers of the OEM grill and bumper it was kind of flimsy due to me cutting through most of the clips that hold the layers together. So I filled in some of the gaps with some glue (I used a two part Urethane (similar to epoxy) that comes in a gun with a mixing tip, but use whatever you have laying around) to bond the layers together again.

Question for y’all, I wired the new fog lights into the wiring of the OEM fog lights, but you can’t have the fog lights on with the brights on, is there a simple way to have them both in at the same time? I’m not to worried about it but if it were possible I’d probably do it.

I did not put a winch in the bumper but I imagine it might be difficult considering that cross bar support for the grill. But since I didn’t have a winch I put my license plate over the winch cable hole by drilling little holes and using sheet metal screws to mount the plate. Not sure where other people put their’s since there isn’t a great place for it. My bumper has the cut out for a light bar. I’ll probably put one in there soon but I didn’t want to drop the coin on a Rigid light bar that it was designed for, so I’ll probably get some cheap one that fits there. (Side note, I really don’t understand the trend these days about adding so many damn lights to trucks, who the **** goes off-roading at night anyway? Plus the lights on this truck are pretty damn good, my 100 series is a different story.) Anyway, does anyone have a cheap light bar recommendation?

how's the angle on the 4x4" lights? looks like they are shooting out to the sides?

Question for y’all, I wired the new fog lights into the wiring of the OEM fog lights, but you can’t have the fog lights on with the brights on, is there a simple way to have them both in at the same time? I’m not to worried about it but if it were possible I’d probably do it.
@TeCKis300 put this thread together:

I'm overriding with my switchpros, but I haven't read through to see if there's a way to do it without a $500 "smart switch" or rigging in an aftermarket switch to bypass the relay.

DenverLX said:
I did not put a winch in the bumper but I imagine it might be difficult considering that cross bar support for the grill. But since I didn’t have a winch I put my license plate over the winch cable hole by drilling little holes and using sheet metal screws to mount the plate. Not sure where other people put their’s since there isn’t a great place for it. My bumper has the cut out for a light bar. I’ll probably put one in there soon but I didn’t want to drop the coin on a Rigid light bar that it was designed for, so I’ll probably get some cheap one that fits there. (Side note, I really don’t understand the trend these days about adding so many damn lights to trucks, who the f*** goes off-roading at night anyway? Plus the lights on this truck are pretty damn good, my 100 series is a different story.) Anyway, does anyone have a cheap light bar recommendation?
@i4c4lo found an $80 amazon special! maybe he can post a link (and some pictures of the rig!!)

They are shooting out to the sides! I looked at them last night and that’s certainly true. I just realized that yours are set in and point straight. I don’t think I can use mine on streets with oncoming traffic, but they will certainly light up the sides of the trails. It doesn’t seem like something that can be changed either, I certainly didn’t consider that till I turned them on last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom