Diagnose knock in 2LTE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My new model 2L-THE arrived and the swap is underway. I believe this is the engine with the ceramic precups and I'm pleased with that. I'm also very impressed with the look of the engine. Not just "cleaned" with brake fluid, there isn't a scratch on the paint on the block. Not a speck of rust or corrosion, even on the exhaust manifold, turbo heat shield, etc. where heat always leaves its mark. It's pretty remarkable. Hopefully the swap goes smoothly and I'll be back on the road soon!

Wow!! Very cool!! I've always wanted to see one of those engines. They are sort of a unicorn. Yes, they do have ceramic pre-cups. I'm going to be very interested to hear what you think of that motor and how it drives. Can you throw some pictures up of the engine?

2nd that. I really want to see how this conversion goes and how it compares to the older version.
If it turns out to be pretty straightforward swap without any real modifications that would be really great for you.
You might have some good news after the washer incident.

2nd that. I really want to see how this conversion goes and how it compares to the older version.
If it turns out to be pretty straightforward swap without any real modifications that would be really great for you.
You might have some good news after the washer incident.

2LTHE is not newer necessarily; it was made at the same time as the 2LTE. In fact, I think the 2LTHE stopped production earlier than the 2LTE. It has a totally different head part number with the ceramic pre-cups. It has a bunch of other different stuff too. I'd have to look it up again as it's been a while, but I think the turbo might have a ceramic turbine, the injection pump is higher pressure (and injectors), and the ECU is different. So @digitalbuck might have to run the ECU it came with the make it run right? I'm not sure. Maybe it will run just right on the 2LTE ECU.

Gentlemen, I need some gaskets to get this engine swap done and could you some help in sourcing for delivery as fast as possible to the USA. I called Rocky Mountain Imports and left a message, sometimes they return calls and sometimes they don't. Any other ideas? Here is what I need and I'll be willing to pay for express delivery: Intake Manifold Gasket, Plenum Gasket, Injector Pump Gasket, Throttle Body Gasket, Thermostat Gasket, Water Pump Gasket, and the gasket between turbo and downpipe and the gasket between downpipe and flex tube. Help?

2LTHE is not newer necessarily; it was made at the same time as the 2LTE. In fact, I think the 2LTHE stopped production earlier than the 2LTE. It has a totally different head part number with the ceramic pre-cups. It has a bunch of other different stuff too. I'd have to look it up again as it's been a while, but I think the turbo might have a ceramic turbine, the injection pump is higher pressure (and injectors), and the ECU is different. So @digitalbuck might have to run the ECU it came with the make it run right? I'm not sure. Maybe it will run just right on the 2LTE ECU.
Wow, this has me worried. The mechanic is using the old ECU and the old injector pump. He's having to swap almost everything and basically just use the new engine as a long block. I'm hoping I'm not heading down a really difficult trail here!

Try PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World Ive had several really good experiences with them when it comes to fast shipping. It generally takes less than 5 business days from the time I place the order to the time it shows up at my doorstep, just make sure to choose FedEx shipping. They are generally about 48hrs from creating the label to arriving.

Try PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World Ive had several really good experiences with them when it comes to fast shipping. It generally takes less than 5 business days from the time I place the order to the time it shows up at my doorstep, just make sure to choose FedEx shipping. They are generally about 48hrs from creating the label to arriving.
Unfortunately they list the gaskets I need as unavailable.

Gentlemen, I need some gaskets to get this engine swap done and could you some help in sourcing for delivery as fast as possible to the USA. I called Rocky Mountain Imports and left a message, sometimes they return calls and sometimes they don't. Any other ideas? Here is what I need and I'll be willing to pay for express delivery: Intake Manifold Gasket, Plenum Gasket, Injector Pump Gasket, Throttle Body Gasket, Thermostat Gasket, Water Pump Gasket, and the gasket between turbo and downpipe and the gasket between downpipe and flex tube. Help?

All of these parts are available from your local Toyota dealer in the US.

Thanks guys. I ordered from PartsSouq. @beno, my local toyota dealer has no interest in hard to find parts, I sure wish they were more helpful.

Just be careful when ordering with PartSourq. Yes, the do ship incredibly fast, but their communication sucks, and they will rip you off without thinking twice about it. I ordered tie rods from them, and it was $35 to ship. Fair enough, tie rods are heavy. While on the website, I added a few screws and clips to the order since it didn’t change the price of shipping.

As it turns out, they just shipped the nice to have items that weighed a few grams and left the tie rods out of the order. No email, no text, no option to cancel order, so you pay $35 bucks for $2 worth of parts. After several Skype calls and emails I was told the tie rods will never ship. WTF?. So I’m done with them. Just sharing an experience. Sorry for the high jack.

The "new" motor is in, and the mechanic said when he cranked it the engine just seemed to spin without resistance / without compression. He's worried about a bad head gasket, but any thoughts on what he should be looking for? The guy is more than frustrated after having to swap all accessories / turbo, everything over from the old block to the new one which is the 2LTHE engine and apparently has a world of differences. I just want to get my truck back! (and he said he has 75 hours in the project and I'm scared of the final bill...)

The "new" motor is in, and the mechanic said when he cranked it the engine just seemed to spin without resistance / without compression. He's worried about a bad head gasket, but any thoughts on what he should be looking for? The guy is more than frustrated after having to swap all accessories / turbo, everything over from the old block to the new one which is the 2LTHE engine and apparently has a world of differences. I just want to get my truck back! (and he said he has 75 hours in the project and I'm scared of the final bill...)

If he's in doubt, why not compression test.

75 hours seems a lot. These motors are not that complicated at all compared to modern engines. The diesel technology is the same as on similar vintage VW, GM, and Ford. I'd say swapping a long block into one of these trucks should only take about 20 hours max for a professional mechanic in a properly outfitted shop. Especially if you gave him the manual.

Yes, I gave him the manual, and the number of hours seems ridiculous. But mostly I'm concerned that he felt like the engine was cranking without resistance or compression and wondering what that might possibly be.

It seems to me that the head gasket would have to be REALLY bad for it to make a noticeable difference in the way the engine cranked? I agree that a compression test would be the first step.

Right. I can't imagine how bad the head or head gasket would have to be demolished to eliminate any resistance when cranking. If glow plugs were out it wouldn't have resistance, right? What else could it be?

Glow plugs or injectors would do it, but all 4 of them would have to be removed for there to be no resistance. One thing makes me curious; did the mechanic try to turn the engine by hand, or did he just think that it seemed like there wasn't any resistance when cranking with the starter?

I'm still stuck with this mechanic and this swap. We dont have the ECU that came with the 2LTHE engine. He tried putting the old injector pump on this engine and then realized it's different voltage to the injectors. Cant swap on the old injectors because they're different size. I'm too many thousands of dollars into this and still nowhere. Help???

I'm still stuck with this mechanic and this swap. We dont have the ECU that came with the 2LTHE engine. He tried putting the old injector pump on this engine and then realized it's different voltage to the injectors. Cant swap on the old injectors because they're different size. I'm too many thousands of dollars into this and still nowhere. Help???

Do you mean different crack pressure to the injectors? (they don't get voltage) Just bring the 2LTHE injectors to a diesel shop and ask them to re-shim to the same crack pressure as your old 2LTE injectors. Then they'll work with the 2LTE pump.

Do you have the 2LTHE injection pump still? Can you post some pictures of it? Can you post pictures of the two different types of injectors?

Does your mechanic know much about diesel engines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom