Delancy's NEW 76 PIGGY ??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the same spoilage of gas when it war just refilled and parked to the sun. Temp expansion I thought . My solution was to take a ride to let the gas level lower and problem solved.

You ever get this sorted out?

Which?

1. I haven't the low speed idle, yet.

I'm missing something, because the only alterations to RPM I CAN make are high speed (choke engaged) with only a few minutes to play with, because it will not idle once lukewarm, choked.

All that said, have no means beyond the heary, feely method to test, and others have said it doesn't 'sound' fast.

2. Fan clutch engages a lot.

Don't know yet if it within range and only hearing because it's only sheet metal (and rust) between it and I, but it engages more frequently than I'd think necessary.

No, I don't have a mechanical gauge, it's not running hot. May need to change thermostat, clutch fluid, nothing at all....I dunno yet.

3. Tank vent.

I'm 97.5% sure that the fuel tank pressure problem was operator error.....

I overfilled by a fair margin, enough so that I think it was above the full neck 'vent' and think I may have saturated the black box thingy in the DS rear quarter. Evidenced by the unmoving fuel gauge needle for over 40 miles, which isn't possible, since she's a damn thirsty girl.

Of course, I just can't keep my damn foot out of it.....have made many a crosstown trip, exiting at every opportunity, just to re-enter, since I'm a firm believer in entering traffic being AT highway speed at the end of the ramp, and some ramps are too damn short for that to be possible.

Side story. :)

A mudder, from your neck of the woods, made the trip down last weekend to pick up rust free pig skins and a few other rarities, the likes of which haven't been seen in twenty years....

I was looking forward to it like a kid does Christmas, as validation of my claims of this Pig's heart health, dying for the opinion of an unbiased driver.

I'm bouncing 'round the room, 'gotta drive her, gotta drive her', so we embark on this test run, with me saying 'get on it', 'no, REALLY get on it, 'dammit, drive it like you stole it!!' to no avail....

Pull over, me saying 'move over, lemme show you how she likes it', and away we go.

I don't know that true appreciation for an +80mph turnpike journey, sans white knuckles, sans typical slow Cruiser acceleration, sans any sense of pushing the limitations of a drivetrain or vehicle was felt, but it felt vindicating to, at least, be in the passenger seat at highway speed, without fear or concern.

I'd have been concerned driving across the parking lot in her previous state, so point to Pig.

To further:

Now, I swear I'm not saying this because it's mine, as I've no reservations whatsoever, describing the stench that emanates from anything 'mine', as most are aware.

For that matter, considering the time and expense, it should be a given that this statement is made, anything short of a fail.

I've driven many vintage F iterations and I honestly believe this is the pinnacle of capability, an unparalleled, remarkable accomplishment.

I'll extend the the offer to discount my description to any that get within 100 miles (for now, because time is a commodity I do not have) and meet to take her for a spin, then call me a liar.

Wanted to ask, now that you have the 40, 55 and 70 to choose from, which is the go to vehicle?

40 has been under the knife for a few months, residing in a buddy's shop, now in the final stages of a drivetrain/steering/suspension rehabilitation that's furthered into cooling, charging, and potentially head swap.

Haven't driven her much, prior to, due to work.

55 isn't ready for DD duty, Ron.

Mechanically, she's capable of a cross country journey, but I had forgotten/didn't know then, how bad of shape she's really in.

I do not see a way to approach, short of 'doing it right' and I'm ill prepared to begin, since already free falling into the abyss with others, unless a paint ready body shell becomes available.

It's disheartening to say 'she looks rough, but drives like no other' when, in the back of my mind, I KNOW at what monetary point I QUIT COUNTING.

I've put about 1k on her since she returned, take on every highway, work trip I make, and will continue to, until I can taryinally think about the next step.

Right now, I'm DDing the 73, mostly because, if not working out of town, working 4 miles from house and it's just been the go to vehicle.

80 hasn't been driven in 3-4 months......

Prolly need to show her some love, too.

I believe the 80 left the building!

Still have, for the moment.

A buddy has expressed interest in and the only I'd sell to.....the obit reason a sale even considered is, with so many running, it's more difficult to conceal the actual number. :)

Chris, my 100 is up for sale :)

NO!!

I'm stopping at 80s, the directive.....although I can't say that multiples in any series may not be possible, nor can I guarantee that Mrs. D may not be the driver of newer than the '97 self mandated cut off.

My solution was to take a ride to let the gas level lower and problem solved.

Mine too, since I can visually see the fuel gauges descent to E with each passing mile.

Lots of people are wanting to know why I'm going with such deep overdrive, becuase +80mph I'm a Cruiser is FUN!

And I previously thought my 3FE was one of the best, however as you know it is now just the best thing at the scrapyard.

Side story. :)

A mudder, from your neck of the woods, made the trip down last weekend to pick up rust free pig skins and a few other rarities, the likes of which haven't been seen in twenty years....

I was looking forward to it like a kid does Christmas, as validation of my claims of this Pig's heart health, dying for the opinion of an unbiased driver.

I'm bouncing 'round the room, 'gotta drive her, gotta drive her', so we embark on this test run, with me saying 'get on it', 'no, REALLY get on it, 'dammit, drive it like you stole it!!' to no avail....

Pull over, me saying 'move over, lemme show you how she likes it', and away we go.

I don't know that true appreciation for an +80mph turnpike journey, sans white knuckles, sans typical slow Cruiser acceleration, sans any sense of pushing the limitations of a drivetrain or vehicle was felt, but it felt vindicating to, at least, be in the passenger seat at highway speed, without fear or concern.

I'm the mudder in this story, I can vouch for Delancy and his pig! We passed more vehicles on the highway in 5 mins than most pigs have passed in 40 years. It really is a sweet running machine. I was admittedly a little hesitant driving a new rig with different gearing and no tach, but I was still super impressed with its get up and go with 80% throttle and early shifts. Once Chris took over and we hit 75-80 on the turnpike, the pig really shined - the engine/gearbox combo is everything Chris says it is. I'd encourage everyone to get to Tulsa and drive it!

Chris, I would love to take a drive in your Pig before it is time for her to head to the body shop!
And, by the way, I fully subscribe to the line of thinking that you should get all the mechanicals sorted out and THEN get to the body work. That is how I did it with my Pig, and then the 40.

Lots of people are wanting to know why I'm going with such deep overdrive, becuase +80mph I'm a Cruiser is FUN!

And I previously thought my 3FE was one of the best, however as you know it is now just the best thing at the scrapyard.

Tell us more of this 3FE, and how it ended up in the scrapyard!

AH THE EXUBERANCE AND haste OF YOUTH...

BTdT...

mEH, this is spawned from 80 series tech....(chat)

AH THE EXUBERANCE AND haste OF YOUTH...

I am the mature bull on the hilltop......

That said, I see no reason to meander down to the valley, smelling the flowers along the path, nor reason to slowly share 'fruits' at less than a 'sweaty casual' pace.

All about abundance, frequency, rapidity, maintaining high quality.....with a "too much of a good thing is not nearly enough" methodology.

:) .

If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about.......go ask your old man.

On a similar, WAY off topic note:

On more than one occasion, be it happenstance or by subconscious design, have wound up lined up at a light aside Mrs. D. Be it me in a late(r) model or vintage, I run what I brung, like life depends on it, her with the obvious advantages of two extra cylinders and, at least, 15 years of technological engine advancement.

I'd give a run for the money in either the LX or 80, for the first 50', then she'd slowly pull away, until it got stupid (long before anyone was in danger or even a speed limit broken...by much).

She said bagged in the 40......taunting me, accelerating, decelerating, mouthing "are you coming or what?".

Earlier in the week, it was her versus the 73.

Now, the 73 hearing is all wrong (diffs on hand and on lengthy todo list) with HZ/H55F/BF1A and 4.56 thirds with 35s. It feels sporty while capable of pulling down a house, or so I thought.

Looked stupider than running the 40, because I, at least, knew the 40 was slow.....

So, the Pig versus modern challenge remains, looming in the not so distant future, and I am pulling out all stops, betting the farm on her victory and my vindication.

I can't say what I've bet, but it'll be as difficult and excruciating, as holding my breath for one whole seven day period. Gloves are coming off, and not just mine, as my son slipped and said momma was working on her reaction time at stoplight so, 'for a powerful bargaining tool with your father.'

Give me victory, or give her just about any damn thing she wants, IF I fail.

I hate to grovel and she sure doesn't need another pair of shoes, so Pig better be ready to chit and git!!

..."go on ahead, son. I'll walk down and screw em all..."

'One of these Pig's is faster than the other.
One of these pigs can fly like the wind.'

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom