Dash Configuration Reference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 12/79 40 does not have one either. Dash pad looks stock, but I have not owned it since new so I don't know for sure.

Had to come back and say, mine does actually have the dash light, but it has never worked, and I never felt or looked under there until recently - but it is there, just like in @rghouse 's photos.

It looks like someone hacked a radio hole in that one you are looking at. If you do decide to go retro, get a dash that hasn't been hacked up with extra holes, they are available. I am personally fond of the early dashes.

1588524607374.png

Anyone know what is this for?

1643818768235.png

Edit: Finally found it... cowl vent. I don't think it ever worked before I took it all apart 10 years ago so forgot it even existed.

Last edited:
Here's my '69 fj40 dash.

i-WmwMvrG-L.jpg

i-BFNtHP6-L.jpg

Anyone know what the hole above left of the ignition is for? It has an oem rubber plug in it, but I've never seen it before.

i-LDjR5Wx-L.jpg

Doesn't show it in the manual either.

i-SV7JJpt-L.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my '69 fj40 dash.

i-WmwMvrG-L.jpg

i-BFNtHP6-L.jpg

Anyone know what the hole above left of the ignition is for? It has an oem rubber plug in it, but I've never seen it before.

i-LDjR5Wx-L.jpg

i-SV7JJpt-L.jpg

I have an original 1969 FJ40 and that hole/plug is not there. I know as second owner on mine no mods were ever done. The manual picture is exact to mine.

On a 71 that plug is a Brake Indicator. Not sure if it's for a parking brake on or brake fluid low. But it's a red light and brakes tag under it.

But it's a bit different location.

ApplicationFrameHost_FENgkjdkvQ.png

Last edited:
Here's my '69 fj40 dash.

i-WmwMvrG-L.jpg

i-BFNtHP6-L.jpg

i-LDjR5Wx-L.jpg

i-SV7JJpt-L.jpg

why do you think that is an OEM rubber plug?
almost certain that is not an OEM hole

That is NOT OEM. Even the 1970 when adding the BRAKE indicator, it was aligned with the IGN unit. Take a look at the images. Someone put a hole there and to make it look correct , added the plug.

why do you think that is an OEM rubber plug?
almost certain that is not an OEM hole
Has toyota part number on it, but i havent checked what its actually for. You guys must be right. PO mustve drilled for some reason, then repurposed the plug. Definitely no wiring connection behind it. Wouldve been nice if it was in the correct location for the brake warning light. Oh well.

Thanks to all who’v posted Info here.

I’m getting ready to put the dash back together on our Feb 79 USA FJ40. I did not dismantle.

My plan is to put the knobs and such in first, that way I have an idea of where and how to run wiring. This thread will really help with location of knobs.

Advice appreciated in solving this puzzle. It is labeled with letters that have no reference.

View attachment 2061415
Feb 79’ dash
View attachment 2061413
Feb 79 FJ40 stock wiring harness
I realize I’m a bit late to the party but here’s my March 79 I believe everything is stock with the exception of the toggle switch under the headlight switch. Hope it helps out somebody.
2593A342-866E-403F-9B22-75B07ECFB353.jpeg
655F38A4-C3D1-43AD-BF53-8F2C9A655B9E.jpeg
71D6E6B2-7B90-40A5-B22B-00AF91E800E8.jpeg
D1BD1FE4-B79B-4EDC-A4CC-78D0BF2D5774.jpeg
B7A4EC07-9383-4745-94CF-24AA95ACFB4E.jpeg

Some pics of my 6/77, CA truck.

Fog light switch is out of place, for sure. I'll likely move that over to the hole to the left of the wiper control.

The rectangular red brake / seatbelt indicator was mounted on a bracket attached to the bottom of the dash panel, close to the driver's door.

Are the two fittings in the last picture clips for the lower dash pad, or something else?

Any other 6/77 dash pics out there??

IMG_6654 Large.jpeg

IMG_6655 Large.jpeg

IMG_6656 Large.jpeg

The rectangular red brake / seatbelt indicator was mounted on a bracket attached to the bottom of the dash panel, close to the driver's door.
Found a pic of that light where it's been since I bought the truck in 2012.

Anyone know what the 3rd space on that light would have been for, or have that light mounted in the same location?

IMG_6528 Large.jpeg

Pretty sure the 2 tabs you are pointing at were embedded into the lower dash pad. They should pull out to reveal the square mounting holes.

Pretty sure the 2 tabs you are pointing at were embedded into the lower dash pad. They should pull out to reveal the square mounting holes.
Thanks. Seems like the right location for that. I'll pop them out next time I'm in the shop and confirm.

This is a 1975 usa - spec FJ40 , it has the hold-over chrome in-dash brake light indicator / PRE - plastic 2-indicators square box ….

20200506_210219.jpg
apr20lightsD.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom