Current solution: Rear Heater Bypass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did this bypass not that long ago. I took Alex's advice and just got straight hose and replaced the T coming out of the block with a straight barb connector from Napa. Came out very clean. I am in Texas and my front heater puts out great heat so eliminating a potential leak and giving my space under my seat was a good trade off. Lots of pics in my thread. Was great to get this done BEFORE I put in the new carpet kit as well.

Did you mention the size of the barbed fitting that worked?

I didnt.....just take the old T out and go to the parts store and show them what you need....the guy at NAPA just grabbed the part from the bins in the back. If you happen to get the part number let me know and I will post it on my thread. the right length of straight hose bends great and easily clears the engine so you dont have to worry about it touching hot valve covers. Same goes for the passenger side. You dont need hose with any special bends. Probably why a conversion kit got discontinued....too easy to just throw together $20 in parts and do it yourself.

This is the plug that I used.

For all of the help that 'mud gives us....we should all be sponsoring them with a gold or silver banner!

Definitely been a lifesaver for a guy like me who is not all that mechanical. I got my break in done on the H55 with about 1300 miles on it. Shifts a lot better. Going to get the Mobil 1 SAE 50 Synthietic (2gallons) that you recommended and make the fluid swap real soon. Been so nice to push it up into 5th and do 70-75 on the freeway. My 60 only sees 3K rpm when it's coming out of 1st now.

So, has it been determined the size of the coolant hose fitting (barb) on the rear of the cylinder head ? Is it 3/8" pipe thread or 1/2" ?

And is the heater hose from that to the Heater Valve 1/2" or 5/8"?

Been a while and I've forgotten these bits and this thread has me thinking I should delete the rear heater as I've never used it it 10 years and it's just a potential source of leaks or damage under the truck...

So, has it been determined the size of the coolant hose fitting (barb) on the rear of the cylinder head ? Is it 3/8" pipe thread or 1/2" ?

And is the heater hose from that to the Heater Valve 1/2" or 5/8"?

Been a while and I've forgotten these bits and this thread has me thinking I should delete the rear heater as I've never used it it 10 years and it's just a potential source of leaks or damage under the truck...

I dont remember, but when you get ready to do it just take a section of hose you cut off and your T with you to tha auto parts store. Buy them several inches longer than you think you need them and it should be a one trip job. And dont forget a little high temp sealant for that barb connector.

Coolant Union Sizes.jpg

I learn something new every once in a while...
"BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) is similar to NPT except for one important difference. The angle across the flanks of threads (if you sliced the fitting in half long-ways and measured the angle from root to crest to root) is 55 degrees instead of 60 degrees as it is for NPT. Thus an NPT male will fit into a BSPT fitting or vice versa but they will not seal. This is a popular fitting in China and Japan but is very rarely used in North America unless the equipment to which it is attached was imported. Thread sealant is needed to seal the male and female fitting together. "

I learn something new every once in a while...
"BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) is similar to NPT except for one important difference. The angle across the flanks of threads (if you sliced the fitting in half long-ways and measured the angle from root to crest to root) is 55 degrees instead of 60 degrees as it is for NPT. Thus an NPT male will fit into a BSPT fitting or vice versa but they will not seal. This is a popular fitting in China and Japan but is very rarely used in North America unless the equipment to which it is attached was imported. Thread sealant is needed to seal the male and female fitting together. "

:)

Well, I ordered one of these 1/2" NPT SS barbs to see how it works. Could be BSPT, but I held the Union pictured above next to a known 1/2" NPT and it looked identical, but we'll see -- As for the hose, I'll prolly just use straight hose if I can't find a comparable molded for the NLA OE hose.

*** Edit 2/20/20 ** The NPT pipe below doesn't work

Last edited:
Well, I ordered one of these 1/2" NPT SS barbs to see how it works. Could be BSPT, but I held the Union pictured above next to a known 1/2" NPT and it looked identical, but we'll see -- As for the hose, I'll prolly just use straight hose if I can't find a comparable molded for the NLA OE hose.

It's hard to tell but anything on our trucks or out of Japan will be BSPT since that is the standard in Japan.

Used one of these as a block off. Seems to fit perfectly, will report if there is a problem once I wrap up the project and refill the system. (This is part of a radiator & all coolant lines replacement project... so the rear heater delete is, you know: while I'm in there...
McMaster-Carr

And I WOULD like to replace the hose from that (top) fitting to the heater valve... if anyone has determined a suitable solution using the stock fitting (the stock one with the rear heater port now blocked off.)... 5/8 heater hose?

And I WOULD like to replace the hose from that (top) fitting to the heater valve... if anyone has determined a suitable solution using the stock fitting (the stock one with the rear heater port now blocked off.)... 5/8 heater hose?

I’ve replaced a lot of the molded hoses on my 60 with regular 5/8” heater hose from a FLAPS. Never really had an issue. I need to replace all the hoses again as I have a good radiator cap and I found some leaks. Definitely have replaced that hose section from the driver side of the cylinder head to the heater valve with it. Believe that’s the part you speak of.

Found a pic of my motor and added an arrow with my iPhone. This one?

2013598F-C849-4C3A-B0FF-8739CA268F7F.jpeg

I’ve been meaning to ask. What brand of hose do y’all like for 5/8” heater hose? Gates Green Stripe seems to be at the top of my list. Just under $4 a foot. They sell the “Safety Stripe” that is a lot cheaper but not as sturdy, etc. Ace Hardware sells some stuff too right around the same cost as Green Stripe. Look forward to responses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom