Current solution: Rear Heater Bypass? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found hoses for block to heater valve and a bypass: tube to front heater tube. Both Dayco brand. The bypass is "S" shaped and the other has a molded 90° bend (I'll cut off the second bend)
there might be better options for each of these but these are going to work just fine.
Dayco 87792
Dayco E87828
IMG_20190325_125626932.jpg
IMG_20190325_125703263.jpg
IMG_20190325_125640558.jpg

Is the 87828 long enough? That one looks to be a perfect fit.

Edit: from Dayco catalog, 15" .... Should be good.

I was all geeked up about getting bent hose too, but the straight hose worked fine....really it did. Plenty of pics in my post to show it.

A cleaner solution is a generic molded 90* 5/8 heater hose. Available from FLAPS.
Jim... I haven't removed that hose yet but the OD seems like it is much larger than the 5/8 ID hose I bought... Is the OEM hose a lot thicker material than "normal"?

Well, I ordered one of these 1/2" NPT SS barbs to see how it works. Could be BSPT, but I held the Union pictured above next to a known 1/2" NPT and it looked identical, but we'll see -- As for the hose, I'll prolly just use straight hose if I can't find a comparable molded for the NLA OE hose.

Can’t wait to hear how this works. I’m interested in deleting the rear heater, and don’t want to put a plug in a pipe that I could just replace with a new pipe and no need for a plug. Need to do a minor cooling system refresh. Who even uses the rear heater? If I delete it, I don’t want to throw away the parts. I’ve saved enough old stuff I’ll never use lol.

Can’t wait to hear how this works. I’m interested in deleting the rear heater, and don’t want to put a plug in a pipe that I could just replace with a new pipe and no need for a plug. Need to do a minor cooling system refresh. Who even uses the rear heater? If I delete it, I don’t want to throw away the parts. I’ve saved enough old stuff I’ll never use lol.

It works great. I have had mine deleted for months. Cleaned up the engine bay even more and dont have to worry about the multiple potential leak points from that whole set up. Mine did gargle for a week or two until all the bubbles were out of the system, but my front heater blows very warm for the few days I need it in Texas during our winter. Best part is the extra room under the seat and the fact that I did it before I replaced my carpet so its nice and clean under there.

That's the principle reason I want to delete my rear heater: reclaim that space under the pass seat for tools and an additional fire extinguisher. Also, when I first got the truck and pulled up the carpet, I found the rear heater core had been slowly leaking and the coolant had pooled in the rear footwell and turned that hard crap on the floor into a big goopy mess of tar that wouldn't dry. PITA to clean up. Anyway, at the time I found a new rear heater assy from Toyota so I replaced it. Didn't want to delete it at the time - D'oh!

If anybody needs a rear heater that's only 8 years old.... ;)

Jim... I haven't removed that hose yet but the OD seems like it is much larger than the 5/8 ID hose I bought... Is the OEM hose a lot thicker material than "normal"?
All front heater hoses, including hose from vertical barb, over VC to front heater valve, are 5/8" (16mm) ID.
All hoses to rear heater are 1/2" (13mm) ID.
All oil cooler hoses are 5/8".

Now you know.

@woytovich...
I should have asked..."Can you buy 2 of everything and ship it my way?" ...... Cancelling the rear heater is feeling like a good idea.

M16x1.5 Tapered fits as a perfect snug plug. Obviously, a 3/8" plug works too. I just wanted an Allen plug for the stock union in case the 1/2" pipe doesn't work. BelMetric also has this plug in SS.

Oh, btw, the guy at BelMetric said NPT and BSPT fittings can be used interchangeably if Thread Sealant is used and don't over-tighten. I verified by some googling.

Last edited:
nothing is worse than showing up at a napa or other parts place and saying you are looking for a hose with a bend and diameter of such... they say "what's the year and make". I find very little parts guys can work with me to find solutions that are not per original configurations.

nothing is worse than showing up at a napa or other parts place and saying you are looking for a hose with a bend and diameter of such... they say "what's the year and make". I find very little parts guys can work with me to find solutions that are not per original configurations.
Agreed. Try adding into the dimension being a female. Ha!

At my local "commercial" Advance Auto they took me down to the sub basement to comb through their stock of molded hoses on my own... sweet!

Yeah, I usually go in to NAPA on a Sunday morning and ask to tip-toe thru their hoses when I need to find a substitute. Helps to bring donuts.

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom